Dan Patrick Show starring Erik Kuselias

innersanctum

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 03:18 PM)
It's not a gripe.. it's simply an opinion backed by the opinions of guys who have watched him play hundreds of games.

My response wasn't directed towards you. I was writing about what Fotop said his main gripe was.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 03:15 PM)
I understand your gripe.  But I've never had the chance to watch enough baseball outside of the White Sox (and Cubs if I chose for some reason) to make a valid decision.  Watching him play about 10 games per year doesn't really allow me to decipher wether I'm watching a HOF'er or not.  Statistics do. 

Just looking at players who have HOF monitor scores around Palmiero's are all in the Hall.  I'm not saying this is the end all be all.  It gives me a good idea of when he will be enlisted though.

Completely understandable. I was basically just venting on the people that basically plug their ears with stat sheets. However, I'm quite sure that you and most of the people on this site are well aware of both sides of the coin. Believe me, I use statistics just as much as the next guy but there has to be a line where enough is enough...and to me that's these "predictor" dealies.

I think Palmeiro will definitely get in, and he should. The first ballot thing is another story. In my book, first ballot is reserved for the all-time greats, the guys with the MVP awards, the superstar players, the best player at his position for some time. Because of this, I don't think he should be in on the first ballot. As we've said, he's never even come close to being an MVP, he isn't exactly a household name, and I can't say with a straight face that he was ever the best 1B in the league.

His stats are impressive, but that has as much to do with his longevity as his skill. When looking at raw career numbers, longevity is a major factor. If you play 20 years, you need to average 150 hits and 25 homers a year to get 3000 and 500. If you play 15, you need to average 200 hits and between 33 and 34 homers. There's quite a difference there, even though both players had a very long career. So when comparing his 3000 hits and 500 homers to other guys in the past that didn't do it, consider that. With the really old players, you also have to consider that they didn't play in the era of the 162 game schedule. That also can have an impact on their career totals. I personally like to look at yearly averages or their performance in their prime when comparing two different players, not their career totals. I don't think a couple of homers when the guy is 40 should determine whether or not a player is a hall of famer.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

But to average 174 hits with 33 home runs and 108 rbi's over 19 seasons in the major leagues is damn impressive. Obviously those will drop as he keeps playing but still solid. There's something to be said for consistency. And to those who keep saying he was never close to getting an MVP he finished top 10 in voting 3 times. So I guess it all depends what your definition of close is but I thought it was notable.

In my book, first ballot is reserved for the all-time greats

My sentiments exactly. The all time greats, not the all time very goods. Raffy WILL make the Hall, no doubt. In my mind there is also no doubt that he'll be skipped over on the first ballot.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 08:50 AM)
My sentiments exactly.  The all time greats, not the all time very goods.  Raffy WILL make the Hall, no doubt.  In my mind there is also no doubt that he'll be skipped over on the first ballot.

I've never understood the whole 1st ballot thing. Does the player suddenly get better the next year? Either he's Hall worthy or not. To me it seems silly when I player gets in on the second or third try.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 08:59 AM)
I've never understood the whole 1st ballot thing. Does the player suddenly get better the next year? Either he's Hall worthy or not. To me it seems silly when I player gets in on the second or third try.

It is what it is. That's the way things have evolved over the years.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 09:30 AM)
IMO, Palmeiro is without question a First Ballot Hall Of Famer.  He's gotta be one of the most underrated players of all time, this thread kind of proves that.  He was both a devastating hitter and an elite defender.  3000 hits ain't no joke.

No one knows what will happen so maybe we should get off our high horses.. :rolly

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/...irst_ballot_ap/

here's a list of all 1st ballot hall of famers. Only a couple I see not being in the all-time great catergory.....there are a couple all-time greats that probably didn't make it their first time.

It all depends on opinions of the people voting at the time....obviously in the past it wouldn't take as much stats as it does now to get voted in because they were just starting the hall.....determining the cut-offs so to speak at those times.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 12:04 PM)
This is the second time you've alluded to one of my posts in another thread in the last two days.  I'm flattered :P

Sarcasm and silly posts should be recognized.. they help pass the time.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 09:05 AM)
It is what it is.  That's the way things have evolved over the years.

It's one of the sillier things that has happened. I understand the sentiment, but it really is silly. The guystopped playing, he hasn't improved any. At some point a voter says, I didn't think he was good enough these past two years, now he is? Silly and pointless.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE(Texsox @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 01:01 PM)
It's one of the sillier things that has happened. I understand the sentiment, but it really is silly. The guystopped playing, he hasn't improved any. At some point a voter says, I didn't think he was good enough these past two years, now he is? Silly and pointless.

The whole process is somewhat silly. Not only do you have the first ballot thing, but there has never been a unanimous pick for the hall. I really don't see how that happens. Who the hell decided not to vote for guys like Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, or Ted Williams? Palmeiro has been a solid player for a long time, and he should be in. But I'm not so sure about the first ballot thing. I think enough people will look at the 3000/500 milestones and vote for him the first time around. Raw statistics seem to rule, meaning I think he'll get in first ballot, although I probably wouldn't if I had a vote.