Thomas, Buehrle give Maggs warm reception

southsider2k5

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

Oh, and by the way the White Sox beat the Tigers 7-5 Monday night.

The final score was like an afterthought, at least to the mass of area media that had assembled anxiously beforehand.

The pack had come not to chronicle the coming home of baseball's best team but rather to cover the "homecoming" of the wayward player.

Yes, Magglio Ordonez was the star of the early show, partly because of his six productive seasons on the South Side but mostly because of the sometimes silly and surly slurs that were traded between him and former bosses Ozzie Guillen and Ken Williams.

Ordonez didn't wander far enough toward the Sox dugout to see those two, but he did shake hands and chat for two minutes with White Sox board chairman Jerry Reinsdorf behind home plate.

What was said between the two?

"It was personal," Ordonez said, "but friendly."

Ordonez also hugged several ex-Sox teammates during batting practice, most notably Frank Thomas and Mark Buehrle.

As for Guillen and Williams—neither of whom had many nice words for Ordonez during his none-too-friendly, injury-induced departure—they took the upper road when forced to talk. Well, the middle road might be more accurate.

When asked about Ordonez at his daily news briefing, Guillen went into a monologue about how well his team had played in its four-game sweep of Cleveland.

Asked then why he didn't want to talk about Ordonez, Guillen answered:

"Because there are more important things with this ballclub than talking about Magglio. When it's time to talk about Magglio, I will.

"It's hard for me to come here after the way we played and all of a sudden the first thing is [about] Magglio Ordonez.

"It's not fair for our players, it's not fair for me. … I want to talk about my team first before I talk about Magglio."

And Williams?

"I am very conscious of one thing," the White Sox general manager said. "When I was a kid growing up in the Bay Area, one of my favorite players was traded to another team and certain things came out that really kind of cast a shadow over my feelings about that player.

"So I'm mindful of that in [my position] because somewhere out there are Magglio Ordonez fans who bought jerseys and autographs and have six years of good memories here and whatever my personal feelings are at this point … are really irrelevant.

"Because in the grand scheme of things he went out there every day and busted his tail and was very, very productive and we'll just let it lie. I wish him well after he leaves Chicago."

Ordonez also was willing to let old wounds heal with time, perhaps aided by the balm of a five-year $75 million contract from the Tigers.

"I don't have anything against Ozzie. We're competitors," he said.

"I don't have any hard feelings or anything, you know. Everything that happened is in the past, and I'm just here to play baseball and try to win with my new team.

"We come from the same country, we speak the same language, we [are] role models from Venezuela and we should be an example. It's nothing right now.

"I've known Kenny for a long time. He brought me up to this organization, and this organization has been pretty good to me all my career and Jerry (Reinsdorf) has always been nice to me.

"I don't have anything against them."

Then they played a baseball game, a very good one for Ordonez's former team, by the way.

Ordonez went 2-for-3 with a walk and got a mixed reaction from 37,556 fans at sold-out U.S. Cellular Field.

Some stood and cheered before his first at-bat, others booed before he even got to the plate.

Admittedly nervous about the reception he would receive, Ordonez said it was "nice to be back home. Chicago's always going to be home. …

"Unfortunately, it didn't work out the way we wanted it to. … I'm on a different team and I feel really good, and I'm happy for [the Sox]. But I'm just happy to be healthy now."

After months of battling knee and hernia problems, Ordonez has played 17 games for Detroit and has three homers and 13 RBIs despite not playing since last July.

"He just likes to play baseball, he doesn't like to do a lot of talking," Tigers manager Alan Trammell said. "He's a wonderful person. I just wish we would have had him a little earlier."

The White Sox are saying the same thing about his two-year, $10 million replacement, Jermaine Dye.

Dye has played in 85 games and has 19 homers and 47 RBIs.

So is everyone going to rip on MB and Frank now?

Don't see any quotes from Mark and Frank calling their competetor the "best they ever played with..."

:rolly

I like this approach by Ozzie..

"Because there are more important things with this ballclub than talking about Magglio. When it's time to talk about Magglio, I will.

"It's hard for me to come here after the way we played and all of a sudden the first thing is [about] Magglio Ordonez.

"It's not fair for our players, it's not fair for me. … I want to talk about my team first before I talk about Magglio."

Hope Paul is taking notes this morning.. ;)

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 08:36 AM)
Don't see any quotes from Mark and Frank calling their competetor the "best they ever played with..."

Hope Paul is taking notes this morning..  ;)

Ozzie already talked about Magglio. I don't think even he would have much to add to what he had to say.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 09:36 AM)

Hope Paul is taking notes this morning..  ;)

"I can tell you no one in the clubhouse is talking about this," Konerko said. "Our whole day revolves around getting a win. So everything else is a distant second when it comes to an issue."

I don't know if it will be a circus," first baseman Paul Konerko said Sunday before the Sox beat the Indians 4-0. "We're trying to focus on things that are bigger and better. If we were a middle-of-the-road, .500 or a last-place team, this would be a bigger deal."

Paul said almost the exact same stuff as Ozzie did, but of course everyone only focused on the negative. When Kenny Williams talked about how great he was while he was here, that was just a blurb in the article that hasn't even been mentioned. But its always different when it comes to certian players. Everyone complains about Frank being misinterpretted, but Konerko saids boo and everyone is putting the worst possible spin on it. I don't get it.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 09:47 AM)
Paul said almost the exact same stuff as Ozzie did, but of course everyone only focused on the negative.  When Kenny Williams talked about how great he was while he was here, that was just a blurb in the article that hasn't even been mentioned.  But its always different when it comes to certian players.  Everyone complains about Frank being misinterpretted, but Konerko saids boo and everyone is putting the worst possible spin on it.  I don't get it.

Ozzie called him the best..? Kenny did too..? While JD is out there busting his ass..?? It's not about what he said.. it's about the timing. Tack is something Paul has little of.

What's with the harping on those of us with an opinion that Paul should open mouth, insert foot with some of his comments..? I don't get it.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 09:51 AM)
Ozzie called him the best..? Kenny did too..? While JD is out there busting his ass..?? It's not about what he said.. it's about the timing. Tack is something Paul has little of.

What's with the harping on those of us with an opinion that Paul should open mouth, insert foot with some of his comments..? I don't get it.

Because certian players are immune from the same critisism no matter what they say.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 09:52 AM)
Because certian players are immune from the same critisism no matter what they say.

Not from me. Frank or Mark or anyone else starts tooting Magg's, or any former player's, horn and I'll call a spade a spade in a heartbeat.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 09:47 AM)
Paul said almost the exact same stuff as Ozzie did, but of course everyone only focused on the negative.  When Kenny Williams talked about how great he was while he was here, that was just a blurb in the article that hasn't even been mentioned.  But its always different when it comes to certian players.  Everyone complains about Frank being misinterpretted, but Konerko saids boo and everyone is putting the worst possible spin on it.  I don't get it.

You don't get it? He's only hitting .256 and he's slow ... and don't forget GIDP and his salary. As they say in "The Hokey Pokey", that's what it's all about.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 02:47 PM)

Paul can say "I am hitting better" and people will label him as a concieted asshole.......

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 08:59 AM)
Paul can say "I am hitting better" and people will label him as a concieted asshole.......

Actually I would just call him a blatant liar

I don't see why this thread has to be so dramatic. Were all allowed to have our opinions, can't it just be left at that?

I believe almost everyone here has had a co-worker leave and join a competitor. Just because they leave doesn't make them a bad person. There really isn't much of a difference in sports. Look at players like Sandy Alomar who the team dumped. Why isn't there boos for Kenny and JR? Because that move probably helped the team. If Timo or Willie took better deals, half the posters here would cheer. Maggs leaves and he's a bad guy?

Kong answered the question honestly. I didn't read any of his team mates ripping him for the quote.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 10:14 AM)
I believe almost everyone here has had a co-worker leave and join a competitor. Just because they leave doesn't make them a bad person. There really isn't much of a difference in sports. Look at players like Sandy Alomar who the team dumped. Why isn't there boos for Kenny and JR? Because that move probably helped the team. If Timo or Willie took better deals, half the posters here would cheer. Maggs leaves and he's a bad guy?

Kong answered the question honestly. I didn't read any of his team mates ripping him for the quote.

:notworthy :notworthy

I enjoy where I work and I work with some of my best friends, but if a competitor called and offered me a better deal, I'd be gone by lunch time.

Pro sports is a JOB, like it or not, loyalty rarely exists, from either players or owners. Why the Eff would players be loyal to a team they probably didn't follow as a kid, or a city that they are probably not even from. Hell, Maggs is not even from this frickin country. How much of a sentimental connection do you think he has to the Sox?

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 09:21 AM)
:notworthy  :notworthy

I enjoy where I work and I work with some of my best friends, but if a competitor called and offered me a better deal, I'd be gone by lunch time.

Pro sports is a JOB, like it or not, loyalty rarely exists, from either players or owners. Why the Eff would players be loyal to a team they probably didn't follow as a kid, or a city that they are probably not even from. Hell, Maggs is not even from this frickin country. How much of a sentimental connection do you think he has to the Sox?

I agree with your post for the most part, with the exception of how Maggs left, which I thought was really s***ty.

BUT, I am going to play devil's advocate just for the sake of being a b****.

I don't know where you work, but I would imagine you don't have 30,000 fans at your job every day cheering for you and paying for your paycheck with their own money.

I would also leave if offered a larger amount of money, but Maggs turned down a similar offer. Got injured, concealed the injury, signed a new agent, and pretty much turned his back on us. I don't really care...as I don't think any huge deal to any position player benefits a mid-salary team like the Sox...plus Maggs arm looks about half as strong as it used to be which I thought was really weird...

Discuss............ :D

I cannot argee more with you.. Let me ask the Board this.. IF you were offered double your salary to do your job and competitors work place woudl you honestly say no?

And for those that would not.. please put the crack pipe down sober up then answer the question!

I Know I get s*** here, for being right and making a couple of bad calls, but people let this thing die already, Jesus fa-king christ. He plays for Det who cares..Worry about the Sox not SX sox people who did the exact same thing we all would do in his situation.

Edited by AnthraxFan93

Ummm... I thought this was about Paul's mouth.. not s***ting on Maggs for leaving.  :huh

Either way I see all these post about How Maggs is an ass, for doing the exact same thing we all would do.. Look he made a mistake to go public with his felling toward the Sox..and Ozzie didn't help the situation, with his comments.. And add to the fuel the media.. and wala we have a negative focus on this team that is not needed.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 10:42 AM)
Either way I see all these post about How Maggs is an ass, for doing the exact same thing we all would do.. Look he made a mistake to go public with his felling toward the Sox..and Ozzie didn't help the situation, with his comments.. And add to the fuel the media.. and wala we have a negative focus on this team that is not needed.

Wait! There were criticisms of Ordonez, Guillen and the media in that post. But NOTHING about KW. I'm speechless.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 10:42 AM)

Well.. I'm out of that as I don't care one way or the other about Maggs and where he's playing since it isn't with the Sox.

Magglio Ordonez was an exceptional player that never really got the name recognition he deserved. He showed up every day, played extremely hard, was about as clutch as could be, and had a great character & demeanor both on & off the field. I will always miss him and wish him the best of luck in everything he does, but hope that he is happy with finishing second!

The interesting thing about Maggs is that he wasn't the heart & soul of the WhiteSox like Paul Lo Duca was with the Dodgers...so missing him isn't nearly as devastating!

You know I still miss Wilbur Marshall...with him the Bears might have strung a slew of SB's together!

Edited by whitesoxmanager