Thomas, Buehrle give Maggs warm reception

southsider2k5

Are you guys kidding me?

Your complaining because Paulie decided to take the high road...

Just because he said Maggs was a good teammate... Maybe he was a good teammate...

I mean there are alot of reasons to be sick of Paulie, and I for one don't want to see him resigned. But thats all about play on the field... Sorry but complaining about something Paulie said to some reporter is just stupid.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 10:30 AM)
I agree with your post for the most part, with the exception of how Maggs left, which I thought was really s***ty.

BUT, I am going to play devil's advocate just for the sake of being a b****.

I don't know where you work, but I would imagine you don't have 30,000 fans at your job every day cheering for you and paying for your paycheck with their own money.

I would also leave if offered a larger amount of money, but Maggs turned down a similar offer. Got injured, concealed the injury, signed a new agent, and pretty much turned his back on us. I don't really care...as I don't think any huge deal to any position player benefits a mid-salary team like the Sox...plus Maggs arm looks about half as strong as it used to be which I thought was really weird...

Discuss............ :D

You make a good point and IMO you're not being a b****.

Wherever Maggs plays there will be 30,000 people cheering him and paying his salary, so why would that make Chicago so frickin' special to him?

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 10:36 AM)
I cannot argee more with you.. Let me ask the Board this.. IF you were offered double your salary to do your job and competitors work place woudl you honestly say no?

And for those that would not.. please put the crack pipe down sober up then answer the question!

I Know I get s*** here, for being right and making a couple of bad calls, but people let this thing die already, Jesus fa-king christ. He plays for Det who cares..Worry about the Sox not SX sox people who did the exact same thing we all would do in his situation.

But the question is would I lie to and about my former bosses to other potential employees and customers? Would I cover up certian things that are vital to the ability to preform my job to the ability that they are paying me for? If you are going to paint analogies, make them apt.

For those who want to make the Maggs thing, just about the money... it isn't. Do you see threads about people wanting to boo anyone else from the Sox who contibuted, yet left through free agency? Did Robin Ventura ever get booed when he came back here? Did Harold Baines ever get booed? No, and it is because they handled things like professionals. If Maggs would have handled his business like an honest adult, everyone would still love him around these parts. Instead he got exposed for what he is.

Edited by southsider2k5

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 11:19 AM)

Wherever Maggs plays there will be 30,000 people cheering him and paying his salary, so why would that make Chicago so frickin' special to him?

"Special" went out if style with the Ripken era, IMO. The signing of ARod changed loyalty of players to teams and cities. It's all about the $$.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 11:24 AM)
"Special" went out if style with the Ripken era, IMO. The signing of ARod changed loyalty of players to teams and cities. It's all about the $$.

..........as it is in every other industry, so why should/would it be any different in sports? With the astronomical salaries today, it's all about play, don't get hurt and get paid.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 11:28 AM)
..........as it is in every other industry, so why should/would it be any different in sports? With the astronomical salaries today, it's all about play, don't get hurt and get paid.

By every other industry do you mean in the world of you and me..? If so, I don't agree. But in the sports world I definitely do which is what I meant above.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 11:22 AM)
But the question is would I lie to and about my former bosses to other potential employees and customers?  Would I cover up certian things that are vital to the ability to preform my job to the ability that they are paying me for?  If you are going to paint analogies, make them apt.

For those who want to make the Maggs thing, just about the money... it isn't.  Do you see threads about people wanting to boo anyone else from the Sox who contibuted, yet left through free agency?  Did Robin Ventura ever get booed when he came back here?  Did Harold Baines ever get booed?  No, and it is because they handled things like professionals.  If Maggs would have handled his business like an honest adult, everyone would still love him around these parts.  Instead he got exposed for what he is.

In response to your 1st paragraph, your answer might be No, but for other it's a HELL YES. People do it every day and for far, far less money.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 11:31 AM)
In response to your 1st paragraph, your answer might be No, but for other it's a HELL YES. People do it every day and for far, far less money.

And my response would be that they reap what they sow as well. Those people will never get good reviews or recommendations by burning their bridges, and they will never have their old bosses or customers respect, just like Maggs.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 10:19 AM)

I agree...and as I tried to point out, I really don't buy into the loyalty thing either.

As SS2K points out above my issue with Maggs was with his honesty and professionalism.

I was just trying to stir the pot a little bit..that is all.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 11:34 AM)
And my response would be that they reap what they sow as well.  Those people will never get good reviews or recommendations by burning their bridges, and they will never have their old bosses or customers respect, just like Maggs.

Again, I see your point and how it might apply to the average man. But Maggs has how many millions of reasons to not give a f***? Assuming Maggs puts up good numbers and decides to leave Detroit, do you really think his little media tussle with the Sox will hurt him? That's naive.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 12:00 PM)
Again, I see your point and how it might apply to the average man. But Maggs has how many millions of reasons to not give a f***? Assuming Maggs puts up good numbers and decides to leave Detroit, do you really think his little media tussle with the Sox will hurt him? That's naive.

It didn't, but it can. Just ask AJ.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 11:31 AM)
By every other industry do you mean in the world of you and me..? If so, I don't agree. But in the sports world I definitely do which is what I meant above.

It's difficult to say if it's true in the world of you and me because not many of us have companies throwing tons of cash at us and trying to outbid each other for our services. I think most people would take cash over loyalty. :huh

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 12:11 PM)
It's difficult to say if it's true in the world of you and me because not many of us have companies throwing tons of cash at us and trying to outbid each other for our services. I think most people would take cash over loyalty. :huh

I think most would take security. A roof over their head and food in their bellies is more important in this day and age, IMO.

Both good points with very valid arguments. Agree to disagree works for me. :cheers

As far as Maggs concealing from the Sox. Everyone agreed he could no longer play during that contract. To me it's about the same a getting severance pay. Yes, they are still paying you, but you ain't working for them. If the Sox felt he could play, but was sandbagging his injury, I would agree he was hiding something. But everyone agreed he was too injured to play for the remainder of that contract. At that point any Sox involvement was a potential loss for the Sox. I don't see anything the team could have gained by getting involved.

There is no loyalty on either side of the paycheck. It actually started with Flood and free agency. What did Sandy Alomar do to get released? How about Baines? Fisk? Maggs lived up to his Sox contract and left. I'm glad he did. Maybe he wouldn't have gotten a hernia, but I'm guessing he would have. Another Maggs and Thomas injury watch season would have been too much to take.

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 01:23 PM)
I guess I'm in the minority when I say that I want to see Magglio take an inside pitch to the kneecap sometime this series, eh?

I'd say you were in a very minute minority.