Where is Ross Gload????

HoosierSox

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 02:42 PM)
Some of you guys are nuts......Ross Gload has never proved himself as a everyday player......oh man the fantasy GM's that we have.....you honestly think if we had the exact same team that we have now except switch paul for ross, we would be in this same posistion.......not at all

CUZ TEH PAUL KONEROZ IS TEH MAN!1!11!11

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 01:09 PM)
Ross Gload will not be the Sox starting first baseman in 2005, mark my words.  Even if Paul Konerko does not come back, Kenny Williams will go out and get a real first baseman.

I agree. I think PK will be the starting 1B in 2005. 2006.....I'm not sure yet. ;)

QUOTE(Bonkeymutt @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 04:09 PM)
Why don't you want paulie back?  He's a good hitter and a solid first baseman.

Who's set to make a hefty sum after this season. To much damn money for a one dimensional player.

We should make a push for Overbay in the offseason.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 05:36 PM)
Who's set to make a hefty sum after this season. To much damn money for a one dimensional player.

We should make a push for Overbay in the offseason.

Overbay would be the s*** in a Sox uni. OMG I'd be happy as hell!

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 09:37 PM)
Because his ass is going to get overpaid like no bodys business. Eight to ten mil a year for a selfish, one dimensional hitter? I'll pass.

Tell me one thing that makes him selfish......he is a team leader, everyone respects him on the team.....if he was selfish i guarentee Ozzie would put him in his place.....

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 09:40 PM)
Tell me one thing that makes him selfish......he is a team leader, everyone respects him on the team.....if he was selfish i guarentee Ozzie would put him in his place.....

The fact that he has called out players multiple times in his Sox career. I'm sorry Paul, what have you done to warrant such actions?

To me, he's a stat padder. Carlos Lee to a much lesser extent.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 09:45 PM)
The fact that he has called out players multiple times in his Sox career. I'm sorry Paul, what have you done to warrant such actions?

To me, he's a stat padder. Carlos Lee to a much lesser extent.

I want the quote.......

1. Concerned chiefly or only with oneself: “Selfish men were... trying to make capital for themselves out of the sacred cause of human rights”

Edited by DABearSoX

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 04:50 PM)
You mean you don't remember when he called out Frank Thomas, the best baseball player this city has ever seen?

Or just last month when he bashed Juan Uribe?

Might as well let it go.. It's simply not worth it.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 04:54 PM)
I didn't want to bring it up, as it probaly shouldn't be. I just don't understand why people say this guy is a team leader, even though what he has done off the field shows otherwise.

Who knows. What I know is I was once blinded by that act. He's a way different person away from the yard.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 11:31 AM)
  Ross Gload is not an everyday 1B for a good ML baseball team.

Nobody knows this for sure, all Ross has done in his professional career is hit. He plays a great defensive 1st base and he can run for a first baseman as well. Personally I think Ross would do a fine job as an everday first baseman but I will say I highly doubt that he ever gets a shot.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 04:38 PM)
Nobody knows this for sure, all Ross has done in his professional career is hit.  He plays  a great defensive 1st base and he can run for a first baseman as well.  Personally I think Ross would do a fine job as an everday first baseman but I will say I highly doubt that he ever gets a shot.

I personally think we'd be fine next year if our 1B were Dye, Gload and Fullmer

Who cares how he is away from the ballpark?

The chemistry down there is excellent by all accounts, Konerko is in the lineup every day so he's obviously a bit part of it. That should be good enough for us fans, but apparantly it isn't.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 08:59 PM)
Who cares how he is away from the ballpark?

The chemistry down there is excellent by all accounts, Konerko is in the lineup every day so he's obviously a bit part of it.  That should be good enough for us fans, but apparantly it isn't.

A comment was made about his off field stuff.. I just responded to it. :huh

The comments Konerko made were only a big deal on this website. Didn't effect the team obviously. I think Konerko is the longest tenured guy on this team besides Frank, he has a couple AS selections and has been in the middle of the order here for half a decade. I think it is fair to say he does have some kind of leadership role in the clubhouse.

A bunch of guys here have decided they don't like Konerko and no matter what he does some people are going to act like he is the anti-christ regardless of reality.

The chemistry down there is excellent by all accounts, Konerko is in the lineup every day so he's obviously a bit part of it. That should be good enough for us fans, but apparantly it isn't.

i was going to say something similar to this. i don't think anyone can deny the fact that a lage part of the sox' success this year has been due to the fantastic team chemistry. konerko is down there everyday and he is certainly not hurting the chemistry any.

A comment was made about his off field stuff.. I just responded to it.  :huh

Yes Steff I know ... that is the main reason I did not quote your post directly. My reaction is more this, I think lots of people on this board, and many White Sox fans in general, take what these guys say too seriously.

I am not suggesting most of the player quotes are given tongue in cheek but I am suggesting they can easily be taken out of context and then broad brush impressions of players occur.

Everyone will have their opinions on certain players and that is great. I think though that many Sox fans and probably sports fans in general put a halo or devils horn on an athlete's head for reasons other than their on field performance. If a guy is a menace to society that is one thing ... but off hand quotes, etc. - that stuff happens every day in pro sports and I tend to dismiss a lot of it. I see it a lot on this website ... every quote from a player is interpreted to fit the posters preconceived notion of that player. We saw this with Frank for how many years, the guy would make a seemingly innocent remark and all the Sigmund Freud Sox Fans would interpret it that he was being a baby, whiner, etc.

So that's where I was coming from.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 10:42 PM)
Yes Steff I know ... that is the main reason I did not quote your post directly.  My reaction is more this, I think lots of people on this board, and many White Sox fans in general, take what these guys say too seriously.

I am not suggesting most of the player quotes are given tongue in cheek but I am suggesting they can easily be taken out of context and then broad brush impressions of players occur.

Everyone will have their opinions on certain players and that is great.  I think though that many Sox fans and probably sports fans in general put a halo or devils horn on an athlete's head for reasons other than their on field performance.  If a guy is a menace to society that is one thing ... but off hand quotes, etc. - that stuff happens every day in pro sports and I tend to dismiss a lot of it.  I see it a lot on this website ... every quote from a player is interpreted to fit the posters preconceived notion of that player.  We saw this with Frank for how many years, the guy would make a seemingly innocent remark and all the Sigmund Freud Sox Fans would interpret it that he was being a baby, whiner, etc.

So that's where I was coming from.

Gotcha. I specifically went out of my way not to comment on Paul on the field. It's obvious he's an asset there. I see your point though.