GAME THREAD 7-19-05 SOX vs Tigers

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 06:34 PM)
That's what's wrong with Contreras.  Guy strikes out 4 of the first 5 guys he sees, somehow gives up a 3-run homer.

That's Joe's fault. THis inning should be over. Tough to give a good team 4 outs. Well. They're not good. A decent hitting team.

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 05:34 PM)
That's what's wrong with Contreras.  Guy strikes out 4 of the first 5 guys he sees, somehow gives up a 3-run homer.

and on a 1-2 count!! JC is our version of Kerry Wood. Not to mention not picking up Crede. Edited by CYGarland

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 12:35 AM)
That's Joe's fault. THis inning should be over. Tough to give a good team 4 outs.

Agreed, but you have to be able to overcome that. With Contreras's stuff, he should never be giving up 2 out, 2 strike, 3 run homers.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 10:34 AM)
And with that mental lapse by Contreras, that's a perfect example of why KW is trying to get rid of him.

I wouldn't say KW is trying to get rid of him, especially after his last performance against the Tribe.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 12:36 AM)
I wouldn't say KW is trying to get rid of him, especially after his last performance against the Tribe.

From what I've been told, Contreras is the player being offered by KW in every major trade discussion we're involved in, FWIW.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 06:35 PM)
That's Joe's fault. THis inning should be over. Tough to give a good team 4 outs. Well. They're not good. A decent hitting team.

All Teams make errors (Irod's Throwing Error in the First that allowed Iguchi to go to third), it just takes a good pitcher to pick his teammates up.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 10:37 AM)
From what I've been told, Contreras is the player being offered by KW in every major trade discussion we're involved in, FWIW.

Well I'll put it this way. We're probably not going to make a major trade anyway, and would you rather keep El Duque or Contreras for next season?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 12:39 AM)
Well I'll put it this way. We're probably not going to make a major trade anyway, and would you rather keep El Duque or Contreras for next season?

I'd rather have Contreras.....but trust me when I say Duque is much more liked within the organization.

Yikes. That might be the ugliest all around inning we've had in a long time. One thing I'd like to see the Sox start doing is jump on teams early in the game at home. We seem to wait for the big inning at home more than we do when on the road. I can't remember the last home game where we jumped on the team early in the game, and gave our pitcher breathing room for the rest of the game.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 10:40 AM)
I'd rather have Contreras.....but trust me when I say Duque is much more liked within the organization.

The only deal Contreras would probably be included at the moment is for Jason Schmidt, and that's if the Giants would even want Jose.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 12:44 AM)
The only deal Contreras would probably be included at the moment is for Jason Schmidt, and that's if the Giants would even want Jose.

The Giants would love to trade for a pitcher who might be over 40 years old. That's Sabean's dream player.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 10:43 AM)
Yikes.  That might be the ugliest all around inning we've had in a long time.  One thing I'd like to see the Sox start doing is jump on teams early in the game at home.  We seem to wait for the big inning at home more than we do when on the road.  I can't remember the last home game where we jumped on the team early in the game, and gave our pitcher breathing room for the rest of the game.

It's hard to wish for the best of both worlds, but the Sox would probably be right up there in runs scored against opposing relievers in the league this season, which should always give us hope. The Sox hitters have just got to work the counts as much as possible against Bonderman.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 10:45 AM)
The Giants would love to trade for a pitcher who might be over 40 years old.  That's Sabean's dream player.

:lolhitting, yes we can always rely on Sabean for that, but still they do have a lot of good young SP prospects who are probably major league ready like Matt Cain etc.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 06:45 PM)
It's hard to wish for the best of both worlds, but the Sox would probably be right up there in runs scored against opposing relievers in the league this season, which should always give up hope. The Sox hitters have just got to work the counts as much as possible against Bonderman.

That's good, but it's kinda scary for the playoffs. It's kinda funny too. We either score a lot at the beginning and then take the middle innings off, or don't score at all to start the game (mostly for Contreras) and then pile on the relievers. It's probably not even true, but it feels like we don't do a lot of damage in the middle innings.

I wonder where we could find score by innings.

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 12:45 AM)
It's hard to wish for the best of both worlds, but the Sox would probably be right up there in runs scored against opposing relievers in the league this season, which should always give up hope. The Sox hitters have just got to work the counts as much as possible against Bonderman.

Agreed. Our pitchers have done a pretty good job all year of limiting the big innings, and giving ourselves a chance to win. The only pessimistic thing I feel about tonight is that I don't like some of our lesser hitters (vs RHP) chances against Bonderman. Rowand, Crede, and Uribe don't strike me as players that will hit Bonderman's tough slider very well. As scary as it seems, I would have liked to see Timo get a start in the OF tonight for Rowand.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 10:47 AM)
Agreed.  Our pitchers have done a pretty good job all year of limiting the big innings, and giving ourselves a chance to win.  The only pessimistic thing I feel about tonight is that I don't like some of our lesser hitters (vs RHP) chances against Bonderman.  Rowand, Crede, and Uribe don't strike me as players that will hit Bonderman's tough slider very well.  As scary as it seems, I would have liked to see Timo get a start in the OF tonight for Rowand.

Posters like YASNY have long said we need a Lefty power hitter in the lineup. A guy like Brian Giles who IIRC may be a free agent this off-season would be a good target.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 12:49 AM)
Posters like YASNY have long said we need a Lefty power hitter in the lineup. A guy like Brian Giles who IIRC may be a free agent this off-season would be a good target.

I think we need one more lefty, but Everett has been very good this year in that spot. We really could use someone like Gload to DH or play 1b in games like tonight where we want to bench Thomas and Dye. I used to love Giles, but his bat speed has sure diminished.