GAME THREAD 7-19-05 SOX vs Tigers

Check out his WHIP. He should have an ERA about a run higher than it is.

Flat out, Contreras is a mediocre pitcher with good stuff. He can't throw strikes consistently enough, and when he does, he occasionally gets really shelled.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 07:43 PM)
What a f***ing loser.  On a team with such an amazing record this year, our W-L record when Contreras pitches is shockingly bad.  Ozzie is leaving him in to die now.

You're kidding right? Did you not read any of the posts with CyGarland. He has gotten 3 or more runs of support only THREE f***ING TIMES in 18 starts this year.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 08:43 PM)
What a f***ing loser.  On a team with such an amazing record this year, our W-L record when Contreras pitches is shockingly bad.  Ozzie is leaving him in to die now.

I stand by my reasoning that the team doesn't play as well when he pitches. Maybe they just don't feel like they have as good a chance to win as other days.

Well. 3 now. He's given up 3 and Crede's given up 3.

However you wanna say it, there's another run on this loser.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 06:41 PM)
That's the problem, you're just looking at the wins. That doesn't make a good pitcher. Jake Peavy has won 2 less games than Gil Meche but has an ERA of 1.69 less than Meche. Does that make Meche a better pitcher because he has 2 more wins?

My point is he is OUR 5th starter. Plain and simple. On a lot of teams he could be there #1 starter, or 2 or 3. I guarantee if we make the playoffs, JC won't even start 1 game, especially if El Duque is healthy.

Edited by CYGarland

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 01:45 AM)
If Crede makes the play, the inning is over. It was right to him.

I agree he should have made the play, but that doesn't mean Infante was entitled to a homer. Come on, if Garland did the same thing last year, everyone would have been bashing him. Everyone knows Contreras s***s the bed if anything bad happens, and it definitely took place again tonight.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 11:43 AM)
Or maybe that Indians team was just in an awful hitting slump.  They're getting blanked against the Royals tonight.

He has given up 9 less HR in his away starts and after tonight he'll have an ERA of 1 less than his home starts.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 01:44 AM)
You're kidding right? Did you not read any of the posts with CyGarland. He has gotten 3 or more runs of support only THREE f***ING TIMES in 18 starts this year.

I've always thought he's not a winning player. From the time I saw him in NYY, to the last year or so with the Sox, he's never done anything to make me thing he's the type of player who will contribute to a team winning more than the average player. He's just too inconsistent.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 07:51 PM)
The Cubans are a problem.  Why couldn't they be one pitcher name Jolando Contrandez.  A guy with balls that knows how to pitch with talent.  The talent coming from Contreras and the balls/knowledge coming from Duque.  Unfortunately, we have two half pitchers.

Tyson Curry?

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 01:51 AM)
The Cubans are a problem.  Why couldn't they be one pitcher name Jolando Contrandez.  A guy with balls that knows how to pitch with talent.  The talent coming from Contreras and the balls/knowledge coming from Duque.  Unfortunately, we have two half pitchers.

And we still pitch them back-to-back, which takes a toll on our bullpen. I'm not criticizing Ozzie here (he's had a great stretch lately), but he really should have split them up.