GAME THREAD 7-19-05 SOX vs Tigers

The more I think about Contreras, the more I dislike him. I don't like anything about the guy. Can't stand to watch him pitch, can't stand how he wastes his talent, can hardly stand to think about him pitching (especially in a game with any pressure). Since he's been in the league, he's been a piece of work. He signed a contract with the Yankees while staying in a room paid for by the Red Sox. Struggles, then is reunited with his family...continues to struggle. Moves to a basically pressure-free team and struggles. Hasn't learned how to pitch in 40 years on earth, but somehow makes like 8 million dollars a year. Escapes from Castro's communist regime, but somehow still lacks balls. I can't even force myself to like this guy, even though I still wish he'd do well. But, I wish even more that he'll be traded for someone that will help us more.

Sorry, had to get that off my chest.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 02:12 AM)
The more I think about Contreras, the more I dislike him.  I don't like anything about the guy.  Can't stand to watch him pitch, can't stand how he wastes his talent, can hardly stand to think about him pitching (especially in a game with any pressure).  Since he's been in the league, he's been a piece of work.  He signed a contract with the Yankees while staying in a room paid for by the Red Sox.  Struggles, then is reunited with his family...continues to struggle.  Moves to a basically pressure-free team and struggles.  Hasn't learned how to pitch in 40 years on earth, but somehow makes like 8 million dollars a year.  Escapes from Castro's communist regime, but somehow still lacks balls.  I can't even force myself to like this guy, even though I still wish he'd do well.  But, I wish even more that he'll be traded for someone that will help us more.

This I said, he just doesn't strike me as a winning play. Mark Buehrle, now there's a f***ing winner. However, the two guys on the Sox I most characterize as not winning players are Contreras and Harris.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 09:11 PM)
He's fallen behind all night. He hasn't had very good stuff. He gave up 6 ER to the ROYALS at home his last start.

Bottom line is we just don't score while Contreras is out there.

yeah true. This Bonderman doesnt look THAT good. We've just been chasing bad pitches and early on we didnt execute when we should have in the 1st and 3rd.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 10:12 PM)
The more I think about Contreras, the more I dislike him.  I don't like anything about the guy.  Can't stand to watch him pitch, can't stand how he wastes his talent, can hardly stand to think about him pitching (especially in a game with any pressure).  Since he's been in the league, he's been a piece of work.  He signed a contract with the Yankees while staying in a room paid for by the Red Sox.  Struggles, then is reunited with his family...continues to struggle.  Moves to a basically pressure-free team and struggles.  Hasn't learned how to pitch in 40 years on earth, but somehow makes like 8 million dollars a year.  Escapes from Castro's communist regime, but somehow still lacks balls.  I can't even force myself to like this guy, even though I still wish he'd do well.  But, I wish even more that he'll be traded for someone that will help us more.

I have been thinking the same thing...

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 02:13 AM)
yeah true.  This Bonderman doesnt look THAT good.  We've just been chasing bad pitches and early on we didnt execute when we should have in the 1st and 3rd.

We have too many righty hitters in our lineup. We've really struggled hitting righties with decent stuff lately. Between Millwood, Douglass, and Bonderman, we've struggled against righties lately with sharp stuff. We don't adjust well to sliders moving away from us, which is why we fared better against Westbrook and his sinker.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 08:12 PM)
So are people ready to rethink the Contreras > Burnett statements made in the past week?

Burnett's Road ERA in a pitcher's league = 3.80

Contreras' Road ERA in a hitter's league = 3.50

Burnett pitches in a pitcher's park.

Jose pitches in a hitter's park.

I would not give up Contreras and Marte for Burnett.

I understand Jose is frustrating to watch this year, but he has given us everything we could have asked from him. He has been terrific in the spot he's in. He just has nothing to show for it because we score NO runs for him.

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 09:12 PM)

I right there with you man. I fail to see why everyone thinks this guy is worth so much. Yea, he's got talent, but the road to the Majors is littered with talent that has been left at the road side because they couldn't put it together. I'm baffled at his salary, just blows me away.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 10:15 PM)
Burnett's Road ERA in a pitcher's league = 3.80

Contreras' Road ERA in a hitter's league = 3.50

Burnett pitches in a pitcher's park.

Jose pitches in a hitter's park.

I would not give up Contreras and Marte for Burnett.

Contreras still blow's ass. I am fed up with his pussy s***. He is such a f***ing headcase with no f***ing confidence that it is sickening. No, Count/Marte for Burnett is a s***ty trade, I agree. But I would do Schmidt for COunt/Shingo/BMac in 1 f***ing second. I would do that trade WHILE Count is pitching as a real "f*** You, You Suck Ass!"

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 08:18 PM)
Contreras still blow's ass. I am fed up with his pussy s***. He is such a f***ing headcase with no f***ing confidence that it is sickening. No, Count/Marte for Burnett is a s***ty trade, I agree. But I would do Schmidt for COunt/Shingo/BMac in 1 f***ing second. I would do that trade WHILE Count is pitching as a real "f*** You, You Suck Ass!"

And you are nuts. Jose has pitched 10 times better than Schmidt this year, and it's not really even close.

I wouldn't even touch Schmidt for Contreras straight up right now. Jose is more of a sure thing at this point.

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 02:18 AM)
Contreras' 8 mill. is too much to put as a long relief but now i dont care.  Cotts is so dominating in his role and I would like to see him one day take over Contreras spot.

Cotts sucks as a starter. He has two pitches. He's a reliever, get used to it.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 09:15 PM)
We have too many righty hitters in our lineup.  We've really struggled hitting righties with decent stuff lately.  Between Millwood, Douglass, and Bonderman, we've struggled against righties lately with sharp stuff.  We don't adjust well to sliders moving away from us, which is why we fared better against Westbrook and his sinker.

Yeah, that's why I laugh at the suggestions that our lineup is fine. We go up against a decent right-hander and our lineup struggles.

Trying to trade for a bullpen arm should be way down the priority list, and I don't buy that we're fine just standing pat.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 08:20 PM)
I'll take Schmidt in a heartbeat over Contreras.

Well then you are thinking about what you've heard in the media and in past years rather than what is going on in real likfe this year.

Jose has crushed Schmidt this year performance wise.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 10:19 PM)
And you are nuts. Jose has pitched 10 times better than Schmidt this year, and it's not really even close.

Contreras. Blows. Ass. Schmidt. Doesn't.

At least Schmidt has some confidence. At least Schmidt knows how to locate his pitches. At least Schmidt uses more than 2 pitches. At least Schmidt knows how to pitch in the post-season. At least Schmidt can calm himself down when getting in a jam. At least Schmidt can pitch out of a jam. At least Schmidt isn't a pussy headcase who loses ALL confidence when pitching out of the stretch. At least Schmidt is a smart pitcher.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 09:19 PM)

Schmidt's rounding back into form, and he's so insanely better than Contreras that it's...well...insane. Schmidt will finish out this year better than the Count, and I can only hope he does so playing for the White Sox.

And you can go ahead and come up with whatever argument you want to try to prove that Contreras is better than Schmidt, but you'll be wrong.