GAME THREAD 7-19-05 SOX vs Tigers

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 10:46 PM)
Ok let's see here. On Baltimore he would be. Texas yes. Arizona yes. Almost any team in a pitchers park would have him in their rotation, because he wouldn't give up as many HR's. Just answer this, at the end of last year, if JC had an ERA of just above 4 at this point, would you have taken it?

Add Boston in there as well.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 12:46 AM)
Ok let's see here. On Baltimore he would be. Texas yes. Arizona yes. Almost any team in a pitchers park would have him in their rotation, because he wouldn't give up as many HR's. Just answer this, at the end of last year, if JC had an ERA of just above 4 at this point, would you have taken it?

Hell yeah.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 12:53 AM)
So what's your problem?

That was last year. This is THIS year. This is THE year. IF you had the option this point in time last year to trade Count, BMac, and a s***ty reliever for Schmidt, would you?

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 02:52 PM)
Over Schilling, Clement, Wells Miller?

Schilling's not starting. Clement has sucked in the past month and a half. Wells and Miller both have an ERA higher than Contreras.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 10:52 PM)
Over Schilling, Clement, Wells Miller?

Schilling hasn't proven he's healthy, Wells isn't very good at this point, ditto Miller. As for Clement his era keeps on going up and up, 2nd time around the league he's going to get hit much harder, I think JC's era will be lower by the end of the season.

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 11:10 PM)
Tonight was the first time I got to see Jenks throw and I was pretty impressed.  Does he have the potential to be a starting pitcher sometime in his career?

He is our closer of the future. He was a starter but put a lot of stress on that elbow and had pins and a few surgeries on it.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 12:13 AM)
He is our closer of the future.  He was a starter but put a lot of stress on that elbow and had pins and a few surgeries on it.

That sounds like a plan, thanks for the info. :cheers

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 11:17 PM)
Reading tomorrow's tribune article, it looks like Jenks might be the closer sooner, rather than later.

Lets be honest. 97-100 mph fastball and a nasty 12-6 curve. If he shows the control he had tonight its not a big jump. Hermy has done a great job this year. But Jenks is the closer of the future. If he takes the role and runs with it, we could have a very very nasty bullpen.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 11:17 PM)
Reading tomorrow's tribune article, it looks like Jenks might be the closer sooner, rather than later.

That's an interesting article. They really love Bobby, there's nothing not to love about his arm, if he throws strikes the way he did he's going to be outstanding. Problem with making him the closer this year is most likely he'll have some growing pains but who the hell knows, stranger things have happened.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 11:23 PM)
That's an interesting article.  They really love Bobby, there's nothing not to love about his arm, if he throws strikes the way he did he's going to be outstanding.  Problem with making him the closer this year is most likely he'll have some growing pains but who the hell knows, stranger things have happened.

Well we have a nice big lead in our division. And you can make mistakes with a 99-100 mph fastball that you cant make with a 53 mph frisbee. If he doesnt walk the world, he can be filthy in a short set.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 11:25 PM)
Well we have a nice big lead in our division.  And you can make mistakes with a 99-100 mph fastball that you cant make with a 53 mph frisbee.  If he doesnt walk the world, he can be filthy in a short set.

I completely agree but with Bobby's history I'd prefer to take it slower with him, don't want to mess his mind up again, he's got to special of an arm to mess with his head. Now, if Dustin does go down and Bobby proves he can just absolutely dominate then sure give him a shot but that's only if he proves what he can do up here for a while and if Dustin's hurt. Hermy doesn't throw 100 like Bobby but he's blown 1 save and has been absolutely fantastic, he shouldn't lose his job because of an injury.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 11:28 PM)
I completely agree but with Bobby's history I'd prefer to take it slower with him, don't want to mess his mind up again, he's got to special of an arm to mess with his head.  Now, if Dustin does go down and Bobby proves he can just absolutely dominate then sure give him a shot but that's only if he proves what he can do up here for a while and if Dustin's hurt.  Hermy doesn't throw 100 like Bobby but he's blown 1 save and has been absolutely fantastic, he shouldn't lose his job because of an injury.

I think Bobby is going to do fine mentally. I would rather if he was the first guy out of the pen to get his feet wet. His control looked good tonight. His only bad control night was with Oakland who makes everyone look like they have no control.