GAME THREAD 7-19-05 SOX vs Tigers

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 11:03 PM)
ROFLMFAO

So pitchers score for guys that work fast.

Which is perfectly proved by Mark Buehrles ranking of 87th in run support.

You cant argue against 11 wins....

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 10:03 PM)
Well you can't make that statement right now until you give those guys a few years in the majors to see what they're capable of.

Yes, but you can't say they're good major leaguers yet, either. There's not many pure Sox prospects that are flourishing in the league right now, that's all I'm saying.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 12:49 PM)
But El Duque was injured and technically, he is an addition because he has been gone on 2 15-day DL stints.I'll give you Francisco but the other 3, not some much. And compared to the total number of prospects that didn't pan out for the Sox or when traded from the Sox, I'll take my chances.

Alright name some prospects for me that have been traded, we'll see where it goes.

And I just find it hard to believe people would trade a starter who has better numbers and their best pitching prospect and a reliever / closer who would have success in the NL, for a pitcher who has worse numbers than the original SP.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 01:05 PM)
Yes, but you can't say they're good major leaguers yet, either.  There's not many pure Sox prospects that are flourishing in the league right now, that's all I'm saying.

Everyone knows Reed is going to be a real good major leaguer though. Morse has that chance too if he keeps hitting well in the majors. Majewski is exactly like Baj, he was given a chance and he's performed. Francisco's pitching last season showed what he's capable of.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 01:04 PM)
You cant argue against 11 wins....

So Jeremy Bonderman has 11 wins, yet an ERA of 1.5 higher (although that will change after tonight). What does that mean for him especially when the Tigers have a pitcher in Nate Robertson who only has 4 wins yet an ERA of 3.28.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 01:09 PM)
And who blew that for him. The offense. When? After he was taken out of the game.

Hasn't the offense blown more than a "few" games for Jose Contreras then if you're going to use that argument?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 10:07 PM)
Everyone knows Reed is going to be a real good major leaguer though. Morse has that chance too if he keeps hitting well in the majors. Majewski is exactly like Baj, he was given a chance and he's performed. Francisco's pitching last season showed what he's capable of.

None of those guys are sure things, though. A lot of guys are "capable" of being great and have flashes of brilliance.

It's just the way I feel. Prospects are basically nothing but trading chips, IMO. I'd trade any of them (unless they're absolutely can't-miss guys, like Prior, etc.) for ML pieces. For example, as much promise as McCarthy has (and I do believe he can be great), it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see him fall on his face and never pan out.

And baseball-reference says that Francisco was from the other Sox farm system.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 11:05 PM)
Alright name some prospects for me that have been traded, we'll see where it goes.

Edwin Almonte

Royce Ring

Andrew Salvo

Jon Rauch

McKay Christenson

Derek Hasselhoff

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 09:09 PM)
And who blew that for him. The offense. When? After he was taken out of the game.

You're argument overall is just dumb, I don't really know how to say it any different. The Duke works just as slow if not slower then Contreras, throws a ton of pitches like Jose yet has had tons of run support, so explain that one to me, Einstein.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 11:05 PM)

Edwin Almonte

Royce Ring

Andrew Salvo

Jon Rauch

McKay Christenson

Derek Hasselhoff

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 11:14 PM)
You're argument overall is just dumb, I don't really know how to say it any different.  The Duke works just as slow if not slower then Contreras, throws a ton of pitches like Jose yet has had tons of run support, so explain that one to me Einstein.

Alrighty Einstein. El Duque has confidence. El Duque doesn't have long AB's. El Duque doesn't make a mistake on one pitch and then get scared to throw that pitch the rest of the game.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 01:13 PM)
None of those guys are sure things, though.  A lot of guys are "capable" of being great and have flashes of brilliance.

It's just the way I feel.  Prospects are basically nothing but trading chips, IMO.  I'd trade any of them (unless they're absolutely can't-miss guys, like Prior, etc.) for ML pieces.  For example, as much promise as McCarthy has (and I do believe he can be great), it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see him fall on his face and never pan out.

And baseball-reference says that Francisco was from the other Sox farm system.

Teams like the Twins have shown the benefits of having good young productive MLB players though. We can't always keep trading for big name priced players, because we don't have a payroll like the Yankees.

Francisco was acquired from the Red Sox in the Bobby Howry trade back in 02 IIRC. He was in our system for a few months before the Everett trade.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 01:16 PM)
Alrighty Einstein. El Duque has confidence. El Duque doesn't have long AB's. El Duque doesn't make a mistake on one pitch and then get scared to throw that pitch the rest of the game.

So now you're trying to say El Duque is better than JC even though JC has much better stats?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 10:16 PM)
Teams like the Twins have shown the benefits of having good young productive MLB players though. We can't always keep trading for big name priced players, because we don't have a payroll like the Yankees.

Francisco was acquired from the Red Sox in the Bobby Howry trade back in 02 IIRC. He was in our system for a few months before the Everett trade.

The thing is that the Twins are actually good at producing good players. We, on the other hand, aren't so good. We can produce sluggers on a fairly good basis, but not so much anywhere else. I say if other teams are convinced that we have a great prospect, we take them for all they're worth. Chances are that he'll never pan out anyway.

If Francisco was only in our system for a few months, I wouldn't consider him our prospect at all.

7/31/02  Bob Howry: Traded RHP Bobby Howry to Boston in exchange for RHP Franklin Francisco and LHP Byeong An.

He was then traded in 2003 to Texas for Everett.

Oh yeah, and DBAH0, you can add Humberto Quintero and Alex Fernandez to that list...