GAME THREAD 7-19-05 SOX vs Tigers

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 01:20 PM)
The thing is that the Twins are actually good at producing good players.  We, on the other hand, aren't so good.  We can produce sluggers on a fairly good basis, but not so much anywhere else.  I say if other teams are convinced that we have a great prospect, we take them for all they're worth.  Chances are that he'll never pan out anyway.

If Francisco was only in our system for a few months, I wouldn't consider him our prospect at all.

We have had success with some of the guys we've brought up, but the Sox have made a majority of good moves with trades for guys who haven't had as much success for their previous team before coming to us like Mr. Podsednik. The Sox need to become good at this though, and I think Brian Anderson is the 1st step on that path. It's harder for us to develop pitchers because it'll be harder for them to pitch at the Cell anyway, but we've got some very good young arms in our system now which hopefully we'll see the benefits of.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 01:21 PM)
Never said that did I? Didn't think so.

You said El Duque doesn't get flustered after 1 bad pitch and has confidence unlike JC. If that's not you trying to say he's better than Contreras without actually saying it, I don't know what is. FWIW would you rather have El Duque or Contreras?

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 01:20 PM)
He was then traded in 2003 to Texas for Everett.

Oh yeah, and DBAH0, you can add Humberto Quintero and Alex Fernandez to that list...

How highly rated was Quintero? And how long ago was the Alex Fernandez trade?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 10:23 PM)
We have had success with some of the guys we've brought up, but the Sox have made a majority of good moves with trades for guys who haven't had as much success for their previous team before coming to us like Mr. Podsednik. The Sox need to become good at this though, and I think Brian Anderson is the 1st step on that path. It's harder for us to develop pitchers because it'll be harder for them to pitch at the Cell anyway, but we've got some very good young arms in our system now which hopefully we'll see the benefits of.

Good points, but I'll never be able to get the names like Honel, Wright, and Ruffcorn out of my head :P

I stand by my belief, though. Trade just about any prospect if it gets you something of value in return.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 11:24 PM)
How highly rated was Quintero? And how long ago was the Alex Fernandez trade?

Quintero was rated mid-level IIRC and both of those guys were involved in the same deal. Qunitero/Fernandez to San Diegofor the one and only D'Angelo Jimenez. 2002.....

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 11:24 PM)
You said El Duque doesn't get flustered after 1 bad pitch and has confidence unlike JC. If that's not you trying to say he's better than Contreras without actually saying it, I don't know what is. FWIW would you rather have El Duque or Contreras?

Postseason: El Duque

Otherwise: Contreras

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 01:25 PM)
Wait DBAH0 are you arguing the Sox trade away a lot of guys that turn out to be good?

Right now that may not seem to be the case, but for example we've given up 5 prospects for Carl Everett in 2 seperate trades. Francisco's had success, Majewski is this season, Rauch was going to be a starter for Washington before he got injured, and Josh Rupe is dominating in the minors. Just give it a few years is all I'm saying.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 01:27 PM)
Quintero was rated mid-level IIRC and both of those guys were involved in the same deal. Qunitero/Fernandez to San Diegofor the one and only D'Angelo Jimenez. 2002.....

Then isn't there a difference between trading those mid - level guys and giving up your #1 prospect heading into this season in Brandon McCarthy?

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 01:31 PM)
Damn, that's what the O's get for having a fat guy named B.J. as their closer.  Poetic justice, I think.

I'd like to know how the O's can only score 2 runs off Lohse in 6 innings from 10 hits, and only 1 K.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 11:30 PM)
Right now that may not seem to be the case, but for example we've given up 5 prospects for Carl Everett in 2 seperate trades. Francisco's had success, Majewski is this season, Rauch was going to be a starter for Washington before he got injured, and Josh Rupe is dominating in the minors. Just give it a few years is all I'm saying.

Ok, I give up. Rauch, just because he was to BE as starter by NO means, means he is successful. Rupe is dominating in the minors. A.) What level? B.) BMac was dominating in ST and got knocked around in the minors....means NADA.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 10:32 PM)
Twins just won in the 9th.  Tying the game with 2 outs on a wild pitch, and winning the game on an infield single.  That's the type of s*** the Twins pull that make any lead against them in the standings never seem big enough.

I think even the Twins have given up this division. The Sox collapsing that badly could be compared to some of the worst collapses in baseball history. It's sure not impossibly, but it's highly improbable.

I'd like to know how the O's can only score 2 runs off Lohse in 6 innings from 10 hits, and only 1 K.

Earth hit them really hard a while ago. :P

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 01:33 PM)
Ok, I give up. Rauch, just because he was to BE as starter by NO means, means he is successful. Rupe is dominating in the minors. A.) What level? B.) BMac was dominating in ST and got knocked around in the minors....means NADA.

B-Mac dominating in the minors was almost the worst thing for him, it raised everyone's expectations for him and now since he didn't perform accordingly, people want to trade him. 5 years from now, how good is he going to be? Rupe dominated in A and AA ball, but hasn't been as good in AAA, still he could be ready by the start of next season considering the Rangers' need for SP.

Just remember if you include McCarthy and Contreras in a deal for Schmidt, you've given up too much, they're not even going to offer that for A.J Burnett.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 11:39 PM)
B-Mac dominating in the minors was almost the worst thing for him, it raised everyone's expectations for him and now since he didn't perform accordingly, people want to trade him. 5 years from now, how good is he going to be? Rupe dominated in A and AA ball, but hasn't been as good in AAA, still he could be ready by the start of next season considering the Rangers' need for SP.

Just remember if you include McCarthy and Contreras in a deal for Schmidt, you've given up too much, they're not even going to offer that for A.J Burnett.

Considering all things, including KW's prospect-trading-track-record, and numbers and everything, IN MY OPINION, Schmidt would improve this team for that price.

I just want to know since when did the Sox clinch the AL Central? Sure, a 12 game lead is a nice cushion. However, there's still plenty of games left, including a lot of games between the Sox and Twins. I know a lot of people are concerned with the Contreras vs Schmidt debate for the playoffs, but I'm more interested in Schmidt helping us lock up the AL Central.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 01:42 PM)
Considering all things, including KW's prospect-trading-track-record, and numbers and everything, IN MY OPINION, Schmidt would improve this team for that price.

So would you say the Roberto Alomar trades were worth it? Yes Schmidt would probably improve this team (I say probably because if he goes back to his early season form then he won't), but not for that cost. You're giving up a #3 starter, a reliever who's had closer experience and your #1 pitching prospect.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 11:45 PM)
So would you say the Roberto Alomar trades were worth it? Yes Schmidt would probably improve this team (I say probably because if he goes back to his early season form then he won't), but not for that cost. You're giving up a #3 starter, a reliever who's had closer experience and your #1 pitching prospect.

So now Count is a #3 starter? I dont think so.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 02:14 PM)
So now Count is a #3 starter? I dont think so.

On how many MLB teams would Jose Contreras be a #3 starter on? I'd think you'd be suprised.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 02:41 PM)
s***ty rotations. Losing teams.  :headshake  :lol:

Ok let's see here. On Baltimore he would be. Texas yes. Arizona yes. Almost any team in a pitchers park would have him in their rotation, because he wouldn't give up as many HR's. Just answer this, at the end of last year, if JC had an ERA of just above 4 at this point, would you have taken it?