GAME THREAD 7-19-05 SOX vs Tigers

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 07:34 PM)
So if a guy had an ERA say of about .5 to 1 above Contreras (say Gil Meche) but had 3 or 4 more wins, would he be more of a #3 starter than Contreras?

I think he was kidding. I hope....

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 06:30 PM)
But that's what I'm saying. A record means absolutely nothing. He gets NO run support. It's hard to win games when you offense scores no runs for you. He can't control that the offense won't score for him. You were kidding right.

I understand he hasn't had much luck from the offense, but he still needs to find a way to get W's. I certainly don't think he is a 5th starter, but for some reason when he pitches we don't win as much, which to me is bad luck. Therefore JC is Bad luck, I guess. :huh:

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 07:35 PM)
I understand he hasn't had much luck from the offense, but he still needs to find a way to get W's. I certainly don't think he is a 5th starter, but for some reason when he pitches we don't win as much, which to me is bad luck. Therefore JC is Bad luck, I guess. :huh:

Wow. I suppose he's just suppose to shutout every team to "find some wins"

In THREE of his wins this year the team has only scored TWO FREAKING RUNS or less. That's finding some wins. Most pitchers won't do that all year. The man deserves some easy wins.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 06:34 PM)
So if a guy had an ERA say of about .5 to 1 above Contreras (say Gil Meche) but had 3 or 4 more wins, would he be more of a #3 starter than Contreras?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that i don't feel comfortable about our chances when he pitches, so therefore in my eyes he's our 5th starter. I'm just looking at the W's.

Plain and simple, Contreras is not a winning ball player. He's fallen apart twice in this game with 2 outs. I don't know about everyone else, but I don't want him close to the mound if we make the playoffs (unless we face the A's, where I'll take my chances with Porzio and Paniagua).

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 11:37 AM)
I guess what I'm trying to say is that i don't feel comfortable about our chances when he pitches, so therefore in my eyes he's our 5th starter. I'm just looking at the W's.

That's the problem, you're just looking at the wins. That doesn't make a good pitcher. Jake Peavy has won 2 less games than Gil Meche but has an ERA of 1.69 less than Meche. Does that make Meche a better pitcher because he has 2 more wins?

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 07:40 PM)
Plain and simple, Contreras is not a winning ball player.  He's fallen apart twice in this game with 2 outs.  I don't know about everyone else, but I don't want him close to the mound if we make the playoffs (unless we face the A's, where I'll take my chances with Porzio and Paniagua).

This is only the third game in which "technically" he has given up more than four runs. He's not a winning ballplayer because we don't score runs for him. WIth Garland's support he'd have close to 11 wins.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 11:41 AM)
So much for the Count's good second half.

:rolly

He doesn't pitch well at the Cell. If he's pitching away he's a good bet to put up a good performance as evidenced by his last start in Cleveland.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 01:42 AM)
He doesn't pitch well at the Cell. If he's pitching away he's a good bet to put up a good performance as evidenced by his last start in Cleveland.

Or maybe that Indians team was just in an awful hitting slump. They're getting blanked against the Royals tonight.