Driest Summer Ever

southsider2k5

My dad was saying that this year there were also a lot of cuts to farm subsidies this year, which will make it that much worse for the farmers.

Does anyone know if that's true?

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 11:08 AM)
My dad was saying that this year there were also a lot of cuts to farm subsidies this year, which will make it that much worse for the farmers.

Does anyone know if that's true?

Barely 2 years ago the U.S. passed an absolutley, ridiculously massive farm subsidy bill costing taxpayers upwards of $80 billion.

I can't believe that at all.

From nbc5.com:

Will County Declares Drought Emergency

POSTED: 10:21 am CDT July 19, 2005

UPDATED: 11:06 am CDT July 19, 2005

JOLIET, Ill. -- The drought plaguing Illinois is forcing authorities in Will County to declare an agricultural emergency.

A spokeswoman for county executive Lawrence Walsh said the declaration will allow the county to receive federal and state disaster funds if they become available.

Spokeswoman Tammy Reiher said more than half of the county's farmers have lost at least 40 percent of their crops so far. And she said 20 percent of farmers report that 70 percent of their crops are a loss.

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 01:34 PM)
From nbc5.com:

JOLIET, Ill. -- The drought plaguing Illinois is forcing authorities in Will County to declare an agricultural emergency.

A spokeswoman for county executive Lawrence Walsh said the declaration will allow the county to receive federal and state disaster funds if they become available.

Spokeswoman Tammy Reiher said more than half of the county's farmers have lost at least 40 percent of their crops so far. And she said 20 percent of farmers report that 70 percent of their crops are a loss.

Hmmm.. maybe I should stop watering my grass :huh

:ph34r:

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 12:35 PM)
My grass hurts to walk on with bare feet.

It's funny - my feet hurt after 3 steps on my dry, crackly grass but my 5-year-old can run barefoot all around the backyard for hours and never be the worse for wear.

It truly does suck to get old..... :angry: :bang

I work in the sears home improvement department, and no one is buying anything realted to their lawn. We have been doing terrible in sales, and since i work off comission, it has been a minimum wage summer.

It is quite sad that every time it rains just a little bit, everyone celebrates.

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 06:34 PM)
From nbc5.com:

I've lost 20% of my lawn...does that count? :huh

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 03:02 PM)
good for baseball, terrible for everything else.

Talking about baseball, our baseball field is dry as hell. The whole grass is yellow. Damn groundskeepers can't afford to water the field.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 01:20 PM)
Hmmm.. maybe I should stop watering my grass  :huh

:ph34r:

Have you guys started pumping water out of the lake yet?

BTW, my lawn is still green. Mostly because it's 60% weeds. :lol:

QUOTE(mreye @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 08:31 AM)
Have you guys started pumping water out of the lake yet?

BTW, my lawn is still green. Mostly because it's 60% weeds. :lol:

We didn't.. but 3 people have :ph34r:

I did change the sprinkler configuration though. Now they are set to just hit the trees, plants and bushes - which is allowed.

Apparently we're supposed to get a storm this afternoon and possibly overnight which will be nice.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 07:36 AM)
Apparently we're supposed to get a storm this afternoon and possibly overnight which will be nice.

Really? I hope it happens. I won't get my hopes up, though.

Technically, based on the average rainfall per year, the place I currently live is practically a desert.

Odd desert feature - in almost every desert, rainfall is very rare in normal years, and the total precip is well below the average value. But every 5 or 10 years or so...nature makes up for it.

So it's not only that the average value for rain is low in most deserts, it's also a feature of them that you almost never actually see the average rainfall amount.

Sound like anywhere you've heard about this year?