Bill Mueller and/or Kevin Millar to the Twins?

The Ginger Kid

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 01:27 PM)
The startribune is reporting that a deal is in the works for boston's Bill Mueller to to the Twins for JC Romero. Kevin Millar is also available. This could be a trade that gets the Twins rolling. Not enough to catch the Sox, but still...

Linky

I doubt Millar would be included in just that scenario(Mueller AND Millar for Romero). Plus, Millar really doesnt fit the Twins style too well(all hit, no glove), and they already have alot of DH options. Mueller I could see moving, but not both of them for Romero.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 01:49 PM)
I doubt Millar would be included in just that scenario(Mueller AND Millar for Romero).  Plus, Millar really doesnt fit the Twins style too well(all hit, no glove), and they already have alot of DH options.  Mueller I could see moving, but not both of them for Romero.

I'm sure the Twins could augment the deal with some of their minor league ballplayers.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 01:54 PM)
I'm sure the Twins could augment the deal with some of their minor league ballplayers.

Still, who is misplaced for Millar? They have leCroy and Morneau playign first, and Lew Ford as the 4th outfielder.

Boston sure has been eager to get rid of Millar in the past 2 years though

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 01:05 PM)
Still, who is misplaced for Millar?  They have leCroy and Morneau playign first, and Lew Ford as the 4th outfielder.

Especially after all that trouble they went through to pry him away from Japan.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 02:05 PM)
Still, who is misplaced for Millar?  They have leCroy and Morneau playign first, and Lew Ford as the 4th outfielder.

LeCroy on the bench would make it a better bench. It could mean another deal, possibly Millar being shipped to a third team. I imagine a deal involving these three would involve a few other players and cash. I don't see either Mueller or Millar moving to Minnesota.

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 03:17 PM)
There was as short blurb on espn1000 about the possibility of this trade. They also mentioned some minor league infielder from Boston to the Twinkies instead of Mueller.  Not Youklis... can't remember the name.

Watch the Twins get Hanley Ramirez, now that would be bad.

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 03:17 PM)
There was as short blurb on espn1000 about the possibility of this trade. They also mentioned some minor league infielder from Boston to the Twinkies instead of Mueller.  Not Youklis... can't remember the name.

Ramirez or Pedroia (sp) maybe?

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 02:32 PM)
i dont see this trade really making or breaking either teams' seasons.

i still think the twins were very dumb to get bret boone.

Disagree.

Did you see who they were trotting out at 2B? Boone is an improvement, plain and simple. They acquired the guy for virtually nothing and he is able to slide right in and contribute. It was a fine move.

If you improve your ballclub, it's never dumb.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 03:43 PM)
Disagree.

Did you see who they were trotting out at 2B?  Boone is an improvement, plain and simple.  They acquired the guy for virtually nothing and he is able to slide right in and contribute.  It was a fine move.

If you improve your ballclub, it's never dumb.

I have a hard time calling Bret Boone an improvement over anything. He can't approach .240, has zero power left, no speed, bad hands in the field. What exactly does he contribute to any team, no matter how bad their second baseman is?

Punto and Rivas were both batting better (.253/.250) as compared to Boone's .224, yes Boone might get more RBI's, but how many chances does he squander still trying to swing for the fences?

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 02:50 PM)
I have a hard time calling Bret Boone an improvement over anything.  He can't approach .240, has zero power left, no speed, bad hands in the field.  What exactly does he contribute to any team, no matter how bad their second baseman is?

Punto and Rivas were both batting better (.253/.250) as compared to Boone's .224, yes Boone might get more RBI's, but how many chances does he squander still trying to swing for the fences?

Absurd. Like the guy or not, he is an improvement. Not to mention both Punto and Rivas were butchers in the field.

You can go find defensive stats such as range and whatnot, but the game isn't played on paper. His defensive improvement and veteran ability is reason enough to call him an improvement.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 03:52 PM)
Absurd.  Like the guy or not, he is an improvement.  Not to mention both Punto and Rivas were butchers in the field. 

You can go find defensive stats such as range and whatnot, but the game isn't played on paper.  His defensive improvement and veteran ability is reason enough to call him an improvement.

ok, well he sure hasnt improved the twins at all. i guess you could be right that it wasnt a bad move to get him for free, but it wasnt a good move either. it has helped the team in no way.

• 2 weeks later...

Back on again...

According to the Boston Globe, the Twins and Red Sox are still working on a Bill Mueller-for-J.C. Romero swap.

The Twins are reportedly holding up the trade because they want a prospect, with Mueller being a free agent after this season. Jul. 31 - 8:51 am et

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 03:52 PM)
Absurd.  Like the guy or not, he is an improvement.  Not to mention both Punto and Rivas were butchers in the field. 

You can go find defensive stats such as range and whatnot, but the game isn't played on paper.  His defensive improvement and veteran ability is reason enough to call him an improvement.

mmm, I think you put too much stock in his past production and name. This may not have been a move backwards, but it definitely wasnt an improvement.

A lateral move if anything.