Sox to give out socks....

Heads22

Ok, it looks like they changed things. In their recent press release, it says this:

Friday, July 22, 7:05 vs. Boston: Hanes Double Tough Sox Night

Double Tough Hanes Sox (all fans)

A special pregame ceremony will include musician John Popper from Blues Traveler playing the national anthem on his harmonica, and musician Jermaine Dupri and actor/comedian George Lopez will throw out ceremonial first pitches prior to the game.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 04:10 PM)
Ok, it looks like they changed things.  In their recent press release, it says this:

A special pregame ceremony will include musician John Popper from Blues Traveler playing the national anthem on his harmonica, and musician Jermaine Dupri and actor/comedian George Lopez will throw out ceremonial first pitches prior to the game.

"The George Lopez show only furthers the stereotype that Geroge Lopez is funny."

- Family Guy :P

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 02:57 PM)
Waving white socks should be a HUGE Sox tradition. Not sure why it never catches on.

I never really got it. I thought it looked silly seeing socks being waved.

I always thought the White Sox thing was "Nah-Nah..Hey Hey Goodbye" when we started rallying. When Nancy pounds out the first few chords after we've pounded a pitcher...it still gives me chills. Do we need socks, too?

Maybe I'm being silly.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 06:20 PM)

I always thought the White Sox thing was "Nah-Nah..Hey Hey Goodbye" when we started rallying. When Nancy pounds out the first few chords after we've pounded a pitcher...it still gives me chills. Do we need socks, too?

Maybe I'm being silly.

stop saying silly

silly

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 06:20 PM)

Maybe I'm being silly.

I have said for years that "Na-Na" doesn't get played nearly enough. It should be played tons after HRs and pitching changes. If we want to make it a homefield advantage, these are things we should go back to. Be loud and proud!

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 08:08 AM)
I have said for years that "Na-Na" doesn't get played nearly enough.  It should be played tons after HRs and pitching changes.  If we want to make it a homefield advantage, these are things we should go back to.  Be loud and proud!

I totally agree. Some of the younger fans don't even know the tradition or the song.

Do you think they've toned it down because nowadays sports in general has more of a 'no taunting' attitude. With all the thugs playing pro sports and all the fans wanting to jump into the arenas, maybe that's why. :huh

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 08:27 AM)
I totally agree. Some of the younger fans don't even know the tradition or the song.

Do you think they've toned it down because nowadays sports in general has more of a 'no taunting' attitude. With all the thugs playing pro sports and all the fans wanting to jump into the arenas, maybe that's why. :huh

I think they don't play it much anymore because they've gone more in the direction of pre-recorded music - which IMO sucks.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 08:27 AM)

They try to "can" the whole experience. Scoreboard led cheers, applause-o-meters, they try to choreograph the whole thing. There's still something to said for for Nancy on the organ and the fans just picking up on something and running with it.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 08:28 AM)
I think they don't play it much anymore because they've gone more in the direction of pre-recorded music - which IMO sucks.

But it's not like they've cut her off completely. She still plays it just as often and at all the same times, it's just not as loud or for as long. She'll give you one, very quiet verse. I remember it used to go on and on and on. Either let her do it right, or not at all. :huh

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 08:28 AM)

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 08:30 AM)
They try to "can" the whole experience.  Scoreboard led cheers, applause-o-meters, they try to choreograph the whole thing.  There's still something to said for for Nancy on the organ and the fans just picking up on something and running with it.

I agree with both of you totally. The thing is I think Sox fans feed off of Nancy more than the do the prerecorded crap. There is nothing that is more Comiskey than singing Steam at the top of your lungs after a go ahead homer.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 08:35 AM)
But it's not like they've cut her off completely. She still plays it just as often and at all the same times, it's just not as loud or for as long.    She'll give you one, very quiet verse. I remember it used to go on and on and on. Either let her do it right, or not at all. :huh

She does not play nearly as much as she did 3-4 years ago. Not even close.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 08:08 AM)
I have said for years that "Na-Na" doesn't get played nearly enough.  It should be played tons after HRs and pitching changes.  If we want to make it a homefield advantage, these are things we should go back to.  Be loud and proud!

At the risk of sounding like an old-timer, the Southside Hitmen and singing with Nancy are some of my best memories. Na-Na gets me every time. It is currently on rotation at my local oldies station and I have to turn it up every time it is played. It never gets old. Roof Shots.

When Nancy retires, I believe it will be a sadder day then when any player hung it up. If the team pushes her out, it will be the biggest backlash ever.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 08:38 AM)
At the risk of sounding like an old-timer, the Southside Hitmen and singing with Nancy are some of my best memories. Na-Na gets me every time. It is currently on rotation at my local oldies station and I have to turn it up every time  it is played. It never gets old. Roof Shots.

When Nancy retires, I believe it will be a sadder day then when any player hung it up. If the team pushes her out, it will be the biggest backlash ever.

Nancy has been a White Sox longer than anyone has as far as I am concerned. It will be like the old ballpark closing when she leaves.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 08:38 AM)
At the risk of sounding like an old-timer, the Southside Hitmen and singing with Nancy are some of my best memories. Na-Na gets me every time. It is currently on rotation at my local oldies station and I have to turn it up every time  it is played. It never gets old. Roof Shots.

FWI'veH they are working out a new contract this year for 2 more years and then she may retire. I definitely think the Sox know it would be PR suicide to oust her.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 08:40 AM)
Nancy has been a White Sox longer than anyone has as far as I am concerned.  It will be like the old ballpark closing when she leaves.

To be honest, I wasn't too sad to see the old park torn down.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 08:38 AM)
She does not play nearly as much as she did 3-4 years ago. Not even close.

In general, you're right, she doesn't play nearly as much.

I'm referring to just how often she plays Nah Nah Hey Hey. It's still whenever an opposing pitcher gets roughed up and yanked and at the end of a Sox win. So let her do it right.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 08:52 AM)
In general, you're right, she doesn't play nearly as much.

I'm referring to just how often she plays Nah Nah Hey Hey. It's still whenever an opposing pitcher gets roughed up and yanked and at the end of a Sox win. So let her do it right.

Right.. they cut her short to play the pre-recorded crap.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 08:43 AM)
To be honest, I wasn't too sad to see the old park torn down.

I was crushed. I was 16/17 and it was the only home I ever knew. It was like losing a part of my childhood. Plus the replacement park only made it worse, it was so sterile after the character and intimacy of the old lady.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 08:59 AM)
I was crushed.  I was 16/17 and it was the only home I ever knew.  It was like losing a part of my childhood.  Plus the replacement park only made it worse, it was so sterile after the character and intimacy of the old lady.

I felt the same way .... brother.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 08:59 AM)
I was crushed.  I was 16/17 and it was the only home I ever knew.  It was like losing a part of my childhood.  Plus the replacement park only made it worse, it was so sterile after the character and intimacy of the old lady.

The only think I liked for several years about the new place was that our seats were nicer. And the bathrooms also.. but I agree with you overall.

I cried at the last game.. :ph34r:

At the time we were moving to the new place, I thought

A. It was going to be a *great* ball park.

B. It was going to help drag fans from Wrigley.

C. Better views, with no more poles.

See how wrong a person can be

I didn't shed a tear until I was in the "New Cominsky Park"