Graffy to Boston

southsideirish71

For Juan Cedeno and Chip Ambres

The Royals received left-hander Juan Cedeno from Class A Wilmington and outfielder Chip Ambres from Class AAA Pawtucket.

Ambres, 25, is likely to replace Graffanino on the Royals’ roster, but Cedeno, 22, is viewed by club officials as the key acquisition in the deal.

Cedeno is a left-hander with a fastball that regularly reaches 95 mph. He recently converted to bullpen duty and will pitch as a reliever at Class AA Wichita.

“We really like his potential,” general manager Allard Baird said. “He gives us another power arm. He shows signs of a plus breaking ball, but that still needs work — as does his command.”

Cedeno, 6 feet 1 and 175 pounds, was 2-6 with a 5.61 ERA in 21 appearances at Wilmington. He has 68 strikeouts in 78 1/3 innings but also 37 walks and 10 wild pitches.

Ambres was the Marlins’ first-round pick in 1998 and spent six years in the Florida organization before signing last November with the Red Sox as a minor-league free agent.

He is batting .294 in 83 games at Pawtucket with 10 homers and 50 RBIs in 83 games. That puts him ahead of his career pace — .258 with 67 and 303 in 715 games.

Confirmation

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 04:20 PM)
More likely to the Twins for Romero.  They just got rid of Embree also.  The Bosox are in movement now.

Great, now I have to hate Graffanino.

When did they get rid of Embree? If it was before today, I'm surprised I haven't heard about it from at least one of my friends.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 09:21 PM)
Not necessarily, Graff's going to be there everday 2nd baseman for now because Bellhorn's injured.

Right, it was the Bellhorn injury that made me skeptical of the Mueller trade to begin with but getting Graffy now makes at all come together. A pretty good move on the BoSox part.

QUOTE(upnorthsox @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 02:26 PM)
Right, it was the Bellhorn injury that made me skeptical of the Mueller trade to begin with but getting Graffy now makes at all come together. A pretty good move on the BoSox part.

Mueller will be going to the Twins for Romero. Bosox are making some good moves. Futile, but good. :D

I'm hearing that Mueller for Romero is dead. Minny doesn't want to give up anyone from the current roster, at least not a contributing member anyway. There is a big deal in the works between Boston and Philly.

The White Sox have definately inquired about Wagner, but have shyed away due to the steep asknig price. (Read: Boston will get him)

QUOTE(WSoxMatt @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 02:38 PM)
Graffy has been struggling mightily in the past 3 weeks... I still dont think he is an everyday player and he may be rusty in the field, He has been playing 1st base an aweful lot

He's still better than putting Alex Cora in there at 2b.

It sucks that Wagner is going to end up on the Red Sox. About a month ago, I was having an argument with a Red Sox fan who's a friend of mine. I was saying that Wagner is easily one of the top 5 closers in baseball, whereas he said he wasn't even in the top 10 (citing "better" closers such as Nathan and both Corderos, though Chad is definitely in the top 10, too). Now, his spoiled team will land the closer that he was disrespecting and he'll rub it in my face. Sometimes life is unfair.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 09:37 PM)
I'm hearing that Mueller for Romero is dead. Minny doesn't want to give up anyone from the current roster, at least not a contributing member anyway.  There is a big deal in the works between Boston and Philly.

The White Sox have definately inquired about Wagner, but have shyed away due to the steep asknig price. (Read: Boston will get him)

You know this how?

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 04:43 PM)
It sucks that Wagner is going to end up on the Red Sox.  About a month ago, I was having an argument with a Red Sox fan who's a friend of mine.  I was saying that Wagner is easily one of the top 5 closers in baseball, whereas he said he wasn't even in the top 10 (citing "better" closers such as Nathan and both Corderos, though Chad is definitely in the top 10, too).  Now, his spoiled team will land the closer that he was disrespecting and he'll rub it in my face.  Sometimes life is unfair.

You never know, I was reading that Thome was the Philly they were targeting. They sure are in full swapping mode right now, some of their current roster has to be moving for all of these trades they are trying to swing.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 04:48 PM)
I would have liked to land Graffy as a utility guy, but it was a longshot based on KC in the divison. O well, good for Tony, always a fan of of him.

Hes not the same player he used to be, and Pablo is better, no thanks.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 05:17 PM)
Hes not the same player he used to be, and Pablo is better, no thanks.

not sure if i completely agree with you cause gotta keep in mind he's been battling some pretty serious injuries, but im with you...i feel content with pablo and im happy he's succeeding here.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 09:48 PM)
I would have liked to land Graffy as a utility guy, but it was a longshot based on KC in the divison. O well, good for Tony, always a fan of of him.

KC is in our division? I didn't even know they were in the same league.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 05:37 PM)
I'm hearing that Mueller for Romero is dead. Minny doesn't want to give up anyone from the current roster, at least not a contributing member anyway.  There is a big deal in the works between Boston and Philly.

I live in the Philly market here in NJ, and the news coming out of here is that Wagner is NOT on the market because the Phillies think they have a chance to make the playoff. The reason for this, GM Ed Wade's job is on the line since they haven't made the playoffs with him as GM. I would love to get Wagner since Hermy's back is a little shakey.