Contreras

Rowand44

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 10:25 PM)
Contreras is having a better season than Burnett or Schmidt  and he's way better than McCarthy.

So unless we're getting Roger Clemens, I'll stick with Jose, even though he does frustrate at times.

Well the Counts next start is against his favorite team, the BoSox. This will give us a good barometer of how far he has truly come.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 04:27 AM)
Its hard to learn when you have no confidence

If you get beat up in AAA, then you have more problems than your confidence. We shouldn't be babying McCarthy in the minors. If we were to send him down to AA, that might shatter his confidence more than any shelling he'd receive in AAA.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 02:26 PM)
Based on this season, yes, Cotts is better than Marte but the difference is that Marte has shown previous MLB dominance in which case BMac hasn;t shown in AAA or MLB.

And the AAA for Cotts was a typo.... :ph34r:

So that doesn't mean Marte's automatically going to pick it up and perform like he did in the past. What about Kevin Walker after 2000? Cotts and B-Mac are very similar, and you're seeing the rewards in developing one of them so far.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 11:29 PM)
If you get beat up in AAA, then you have more problems than your confidence.  We shouldn't be babying McCarthy in the minors.  If we were to send him down to AA, that might shatter his confidence more than any shelling he'd receive in AAA.

Thats why he should have started the season in AA

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 02:29 PM)
If you get beat up in AAA, then you have more problems than your confidence.  We shouldn't be babying McCarthy in the minors.  If we were to send him down to AA, that might shatter his confidence more than any shelling he'd receive in AAA.

Based on his last outing, he's not getting shelled in Charlotte any more. What we're trying to say is that he should have been sent down in AA in the 1st place, but now that he's in AAA they'll stick with him there.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 12:29 AM)
So that doesn't mean Marte's automatically going to pick it up and perform like he did in the past. What about Kevin Walker after 2000? Cotts and B-Mac are very similar, and you're seeing the rewards in developing one of them so far.

To me, you just lost all credibilty you ever had and ever will have be comparing Marte to Walker.

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 04:30 AM)
Contreas= 35

Bmac= 21

Thats a big differnce

Contreras has the mental mindset of a teenager on the mound. Nothing against the man, as he's gone through more than all of us combined in his life, but I don't trust him for a second in a crucial situation.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 11:26 PM)
Based on this season, yes, Cotts is better than Marte but the difference is that Marte has shown previous MLB dominance in which case BMac hasn;t shown in AAA or MLB.

And the AAA for Cotts was a typo.... :ph34r:

s***smellslike5vx.jpg

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 10:26 PM)
And yet when he came up to the majors he struggled like McCarthy. See the comparison, and the benefits we're seeing with Cotts now?

By the way in Neal's very short first stint he had an era of 8.10, bmac 8.14 so basically the same damn thing. Have patience.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 02:31 PM)
By the way in Neal's very short first stint he had an era of 8.10, bmac 8.14 so basically the same damn thing.  Have patience.

Which is unfortunately something that a lot of White Sox fans don't have a great deal of.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 04:30 AM)
Based on his last outing, he's not getting shelled in Charlotte any more. What we're trying to say is that he should have been sent down in AA in the 1st place, but now that he's in AAA they'll stick with him there.

After the ST he had, there was no chance he was going back to AA. The funny thing is, and I swear on my life this is true, when I saw McCarthy in ST, he looked the same as he did in the majors. I didn't understand why people weren't hitting him, and his stuff was rather underwhelming. I remember asking my brother how he was getting people out with what he was throwing up to the plate.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 02:33 PM)
After the ST he had, there was no chance he was going back to AA.  The funny thing is, and I swear on my life this is true, when I saw McCarthy in ST, he looked the same as he did in the majors.  I didn't understand why people weren't hitting him, and his stuff was rather underwhelming.  I remember asking my brother how he was getting people out with what he was throwing up to the plate.

Which is why I was saying the great ST was probably the last thing he needed. They were bound to catch up with him eventually.

A big problem in this debate is that too many people think the Sox have clinched the AL Central this season. Schmidt would be a big part in helping to assure we would hold on to our lead. I trust Schmidt to not hit the wall during the pennant stretch. I can't say the same for Contreras. If we could trade Contreras, Shingo, McCarthy, and another lower prospect for Schmidt and Hawkins, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

The whole Bmac portion of this thread is dumb. He is a prospect. What will make him a break out prospect is one of two things. Either he gains some weight in those legs and maybe gets a few mph on his fastball which will make its straightness a non issue. Or he will work on getting some movement and get better control in the strikezone. He is 21. He can become the next incarnation of Mark Prior or the next Felix Diaz. Time will only tell.

Conteras however is a mental midget. The frustrating thing is his talent. He has million dollar talent with a 10 cent head. His career 13.50ERA against the Bosox will be tested over the weekend.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 04:35 AM)
Which is why I was saying the great ST was probably the last thing he needed. They were bound to catch up with him eventually.

Exactly. DBAHO, I think you and I are on the same page with all of this. Again, in no way am I saying his career is over before it really ever started.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 10:32 PM)
Which is unfortunately something that a lot of White Sox fans don't have a great deal of.

I'm not going to lie and say it's an easy thing to do but you have to, that's the only way young players are going to learn and get better. Hell, look at Jenks, I love what they're doing with him, he might take a few lumps this year but this learning experience will give him a shot to be a key cog to next years club and he's got a shot to be an absolutely dominate reliever, he's special and you can't give up on him if he gets wild this year or gets hit a bit this year, cause those things probably will happen, doesn't mean he won't be a great reliever some day cause he's got a great shot to be one.