The Downside to being 12 games up

The Ginger Kid

All we're hearing from KW and Ozzie is that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Sounds good on the surface. But in reality if the Sox were in a dogfight with the Twins they'd be far more aggressive and willing to add to this team, even if it cost some clubhouse favorites their ticket out of town. But they're not in a dogfight, so what's the point, right? Does that mean you don't look to improve?

In terms of importance, does chemistry trump talent? Is this 12 game lead over the Twins keeping the Sox from improving the talent on their roster for fear of guys not getting along? In the league standings the Sox are 7 games up on the Angels. A bit more sobering and certainly worth watching when home field means so much. Boston won the WS last year and they're starting to make some moves. The Sox haven't won squat and they're standing pat?

I don't like it. Who's to say a radical move like trading favorites like a Rowand or even a Konerko might not work out? Would you rather have Jermaine Dye or Ken Griffey Jr.? There's too much fear of messing up a good thing instead of thinking of making a good thing better. A great thing, even.

I'm not saying I don't like a 12 game lead. Make it 20! This isn't about just beating the Twins. Or is it?

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 12:31 AM)
All we're hearing from KW and Ozzie is that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Sounds good on the surface. But in reality if the Sox were in a dogfight with the Twins they'd be far more aggressive and willing to add to this team, even if it cost some clubhouse favorites their ticket out of town. But they're not in a dogfight, so what's the point, right? Does that mean you don't look to improve?

In terms of importance, does chemistry trump talent? Is this 12 game lead over the Twins keeping the Sox from improving the talent on their roster for fear of guys not getting along? In the league standings the Sox are 7 games up on the Angels. A bit more sobering and certainly worth watching when home field means so much. Boston won the WS last year and they're starting to make some moves. The Sox haven't won squat and they're standing pat?

I don't like it. Who's to say a radical move like trading favorites like a Rowand or even a Konerko might not work out? Would you rather have Jermaine Dye or Ken Griffey Jr.? There's too much fear of messing up a good thing instead of thinking of making a good thing better. A great thing, even.

I'm not saying I don't like a 12 game lead. Make it 20! This isn't about just beating the Twins. Or is it?

Man...it's one negative post after another with you.

Let's completely revamp the line-up, eh?

Trade three starters for who??

Who will take them?? Have you thought that through??

Where will you trade Pual, what will you get in return?

Same with Aaron...Jermaine...

Now, the propects you will trade away, also...

There is an old saying. Don't be part of the problem, be part of the solution.

Your posts have been nothing but complaints and nitpicking against the team with the best record in the Majors.

Come up with realistic solutions, if you are so concerned.

ESPN recently did a feature on blockbuster trades at the deadline. The majority that went on to the World Series and won did NOT make a blockbuster trade. Yes, they made tiny trades to bolster a bullpen or bench. But not to the degree you suggest. Boston last year was an exception, not the rule.

Might I suggest easing up on the fantasy baseball mentality when approaching this team. In Fantasy baseball you can trade half your team to another team...because it's a fantasy. There is soemthing to be said about chemistry. It's not a major cog in the wheel, but it helps.

Just some advice...Enjoy this team. We may never have another season like this again.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 01:31 AM)
Would you rather have Jermaine Dye or Ken Griffey Jr.?

Ken Griffey: 35 yrs old, $10+ mil, 20 hrs, .287/.365/.540 - .905 OPS

Jermaine Dye: 31 yrs old, $4 mil, 19 hrs, .263/.328/.510 - .838 OPS

Who is better? Probably Griffey. Is he worth $6 mil more and the players/prospects we would have to trade? Not a chance.

Griffey is just a name that people are getting crazy over. He isn't anyone we need.

I'm comfortable taking this *team* into the playoffs. We will not match up player by player with the Yankees or Red Sox. A-Rod v. Crede? Jeter or Uribe? It will be a team effort and this group of players have so far demonstrated teamwork. I also see some guys in AAA that will give a boost down the stretch and allow starters to rest and to get the starting rotation set. The key will be to arrive in the playoffs healthy and rested.

The DOWNSIDE of being 12 games up??? Are you kidding me??? THIS IS THE BEST TEAM THE SOUTHSIDE HAS EVER SEEN AT THIS STAGE OF A SEASON. THERE IS NO DOWNSIDE!!!! Quit waiting for the skies to fall and enjoy it!!! What is wrong with people? The Chicago White Sox have been in exsistance for 105 years and have NEVER been better, and people are perpetually stress about what is WRONG with this team. You are missing the boat on this one. :headshake

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 07:45 AM)
The DOWNSIDE of being 12 games up???  Are you kidding me???  THIS IS THE BEST TEAM THE SOUTHSIDE HAS EVER SEEN AT THIS STAGE OF A SEASON.  THERE IS NO DOWNSIDE!!!!  Quit waiting for the skies to fall and enjoy it!!!  What is wrong with people?  The Chicago White Sox have been in exsistance for 105 years and have NEVER been better, and people are perpetually stress about what is WRONG with this team.  You are missing the boat on this one. :headshake

That is such a Cub fan attitude, don't worry, be happy.

Here is a little song I wrote

You might want to sing it note for note

Don't worry be happy

In every life we have some trouble

When you worry you make it double

Don't worry, be happy...

Ain't got no place to lay your head

Somebody came and took your bed

Don't worry, be happy

The land lord say your rent is late

He may have to litigate

Don't worry, be happy

Look at me I am happy

Don't worry, be happy

Here I give you my phone number

When you worry, call me

I make you happy

Don't worry, be happy

Ain't got no cash, ain't got no style

Ain't got no girl to make you smile

But don't worry be happy

Cause when you worry

Your face will frown

And that will bring everybody down

So don't worry, be happy (now)...

There is this little song I wrote

I hope you learn it note for note

Like good little children

Don't worry, be happy

Listen to what I say

In your life expect some trouble

But when you worry

You make it double

Don't worry, be happy...

Don't worry don't do it, be happy

Put a smile on your face

Don't bring everybody down like this

Don't worry, it will soon pass

Whatever it is

Don't worry, be happy

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 07:45 AM)
The DOWNSIDE of being 12 games up???  Are you kidding me???  THIS IS THE BEST TEAM THE SOUTHSIDE HAS EVER SEEN AT THIS STAGE OF A SEASON.  THERE IS NO DOWNSIDE!!!!  Quit waiting for the skies to fall and enjoy it!!!  What is wrong with people?  The Chicago White Sox have been in exsistance for 105 years and have NEVER been better, and people are perpetually stress about what is WRONG with this team.  You are missing the boat on this one. :headshake

Preach on, Brother!

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 08:14 AM)

he's your brother?!  :o that explains how you became a moderator

Oh boy.. another pair of white pants stained with coffee..

LMAO Tex.. you and Jim have my sides hurting the past 2 days. :lolhitting

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 08:17 AM)
Oh boy.. another pair of white pants stained with coffee..

LMAO Tex.. you and Jim have my sides hurting the past 2 days.  :lolhitting

spill a little mountain dew and really give the office something to talk about.

The Sox lost last night? And the Twins won? OH MY GOD! SOMEBODY NEEDS TO GET TRADED FOR SOMEONE ELSE! HEADS NEED TO ROLL! SOMEONE NEEDS TO DO.......SOMETHING!! THIS IS BAD PEOPLE! NOT BAD LIKE IM NAKED AT SCHOOL IN MY DREAM BAD, BUT MORE LIKE I AM NAKED AT AN ALL MALE-SCHOOL IN MY DREAM BAD. THATS REALLY BAD PEOPLE. IF THE WHITE SOX DONT TRADE JERMAINE DYE AND AARON ROWAND AND BRANDON MCCARTHY FOR KEN GRIFFEY JR STRAIGHT UP, THEN IT WILL GET WORSE! PLEASE, SOMEONE DO SOMETHING! A 5 GAME WIN STREAK TO START THE SECOND HALF AND A 12 GAME LEAD OVER THE TWINS ISNT ENOUGH. ITS TIME TO PANIC PEOPLE!

(If you wish, imagine the above statement in green. I dont think it is necassary)

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 01:31 AM)

C'mon man, don't you know the goal is just to stay 'competitive'? How dare you look beyond yesterday to what should be every team's goal: to win the WS.

This team could win the WS as is. It could lose in the first round as is. We don't know, but we better hope like hell that KW does. If we win it all, nobody will complain about anything that we do/did. But if we lose, a lot of people will be here to say that we should have done something...and in that case, they'll be right.

My point is that none of us know what's going on. We don't know that we need a trade, but we don't know that we do n.o.t. need anything. Someone says we need a trade, that person gets berated. Someone says we should stand pat, that person gets berated. Nobody knows, so maybe we should all get off of our high horses.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 09:33 AM)
This team could win the WS as is.  It could lose in the first round as is.  We don't know, but we better hope like hell that KW does.  If we win it all, nobody will complain about anything that we do/did.  But if we lose, a lot of people will be here to say that we should have done something...and in that case, they'll be right.

My point is that none of us know what's going on.  We don't know that we need a trade, but we don't know that we do n.o.t. need anything.  Someone says we need a trade, that person gets berated.  Someone says we should stand pat, that person gets berated.  Nobody knows, so maybe we should all get off of our high horses.

I like the view from up here.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 08:33 AM)
But if we lose, a lot of people will be here to say that we should have done something...and in that case, they'll be right.

But if we lose and we did something (for hypothetical purposes, say we obtain one of Guardado, Wagner, Griffey, Schmidt, or Burnett), then what? People will say we shouldn't have done something?

Clearly he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. I know we all want to win the WS really bad, but I don't know if that's should be the basis for judging KWs deadline moves.