7/20 Game thread vs. Detroit

Steff

Listening to Stern this morning, and Artie was talking about how he was giving advice to Will about placing a bet on the Tigers today because Freddy has won his last 6 starts and is due to lose, along with Robertson having a low ERA. I tried calling in to get on and tell them than Freddy is lights out during the day so I wouldn't place that belt but they were going off the air in a few minutes. There goes my 15 minutes of fame.

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 09:11 AM)
I just went and looked it up, I didn't realize how bad he has been.

The last week 2-19 .105 ba .190 obp .316 slg .590 ops 2bb 7k

For the season the clutch numbers are just as bad

.240 risp

.125 risp 2 out

.176 close and late

.214 runners on

.083 runners on 2 out

.429 runner on 3rd

Frank is feeling for the strikezone right now. When you see those excuse me check swing slap hits to the right side, or him backing off like crazy from an inside pitch like it was near his head, he is reaching. He has done this before, its a minor thing that needs to get fixed. When he stands statuesque in the box and doesnt move at all, then he is dangerous.

This team has a few months to get better at situational hitting. On 2-0 you should have a zone locked in that you are taking a hard swing at. Some of those 2-0 swings were on low outside pitches. On 2-0 they should be looking center in. If its low and away take it. The count is still in your favor. On 0-2 they need to take a clue from the A's and shorten their swing up a bit and put the ball in play. We have been great this year in making things happen, if you put the ball in play you have a better chance than if you K.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 09:52 AM)
Pods is really starting to become a platoon player, this makes no sense at all to me.  Anytime there is a lefty out there now scotty has the day off.

Last time I said that, I was told I was wrong.

Freddy in a day game...I expect a lot. :gosox1:

QUOTE(Brian @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 10:16 AM)
Listening to Stern this morning, and Artie was talking about how he was giving advice to Will about placing a bet on the Tigers today because Freddy has won his last 6 starts and is due to lose, along with Robertson having a low ERA. I tried calling in to get on and tell them than Freddy is lights out during the day so I wouldn't place that belt but they were going off the air in a few minutes. There goes my 15 minutes of fame.

We get tape delay.. the show was long over by the time you heard that conversation.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 09:17 AM)
Frank is feeling for the strikezone right now.    When you see those excuse me check swing slap hits to the right side, or him backing off like crazy from an inside pitch like it was near his head, he is reaching.  He has done this before, its a minor thing that needs to get fixed.  When he stands statuesque in the box and doesnt move at all, then he is dangerous.

This team has a few months to get better at situational hitting. On 2-0 you should have a zone locked in that you are taking a hard swing at.  Some of those 2-0 swings were on low outside pitches.  On 2-0 they should be looking center in.  If its low and away take it.  The count is still in your favor.  On 0-2 they need to take a clue from the A's and shorten their swing up a bit and put the ball in play.  We have been great this year in making things happen, if you put the ball in play you have a better chance than if you K.

Whatever the A's are doing we're doing better considering we've scored more runs then them. ;)

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 10:13 AM)
He's just lost up there right now.  That's to be a bit expected after being out of baseball for a while, however this is a good time to get Carl some ab's while Frank is in a rut.  Frank's going to be fine, I have no doubt about that but it's going to take some time.

But Maggs seems OK after missing almost the exact same amount of time... :ph34r:

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 09:21 AM)
But Maggs seems OK after missing almost the exact same amount of time... :ph34r:

Good point. Maggs also probably has a lot less pressure on him at this time. Still, I think Frank's going to be fine. :P

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 09:23 AM)
We have scored a ton of runs for years.  It doesnt make our offense consistent.

The offense has been much more consistant then people give them credit for. I think people get the feeling that they've been inconsistant because they don't score a ton of runs at the beginning of games and everyone here starts freaking out in the game threads. Next thing you know they put a 3 spot up in the 7th inning.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 10:25 AM)
The offense has been much more consistant then people give them credit for.  I think people get the feeling that they've been inconsistant because they don't score a ton of runs at the beginning of games and everyone here starts freaking out in the game threads.  Next thing you know they put a 3 spot up in the 7th inning.

Yes, but can we put up a 3 spot against the 7th inning reliever of the Angels like we do to the Royals' guy? That, my friend, is what I'm worried about.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 09:28 AM)
Yes, but can we put up a 3 spot against the 7th inning reliever of the Angels like we do to the Royals' guy?  That, my friend, is what I'm worried about.

I understand that but we've beaten up some very good bullpens this year, Angels included. I know they didn't have krod when we played them but Scot Shields is no slouch.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 09:32 AM)
If Freddy can get out of the 1st two innings, I expect a White Sox winner. I would like to see a stat on alll of Garcias starts, and the amount of runs he gives up in the 1st 3 innings.

I don't have a stat but I'd be willing to bet that his era would be in the 2's minus the first 2 innings.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 09:32 AM)
If Freddy can get out of the 1st two innings, I expect a White Sox winner. I would like to see a stat on alll of Garcias starts, and the amount of runs he gives up in the 1st 3 innings.

I'm sure someone else can find more in depth stats but here's a start:

First 3 innings batters are hitting .255 of Freddy(.293 in the first inning).

Innings 4-6 batters are hitting .231 off him.

Innings 7-9 batters are hitting .229 off him.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 03:18 PM)
We get tape delay.. the show was long over by the time you heard that conversation.

No we don't. We used to get delay a few years ago, but we get the show as they do it, maybe on 8 sec delay which is normal. Nanny Nanny Boo Boo.

Worked with a guy who ran the board last year at WCKG.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 10:42 AM)
No we don't. We used to get delay a few years ago, but we get the show as they do it, maybe on 8 sec delay which is normal. Nanny Nanny Boo Boo.

Worked with a guy who ran the board last year at WCKG.

You can tell it's back to delay just from listening. The show starts at 5am... which is the same time it starts there.. if we were not on delay it would start at 4am here.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 09:31 AM)
I understand that but we've beaten up some very good bullpens this year, Angels included.  I know they didn't have krod when we played them but Scot Shields is no slouch.

I think the guys we have are very capable of situational hitting outside of Uribe. He is way to impatient at times. Last night he got the job done with the ground out. But he swung at the first pitch that came near the plate. He got lucky that they were playing back on that one. They need to work counts better, take a few more walks, and put the ball in play without a long arch on it. We all love home runs just as much as anyone, but the home runs dont come all the time in the playoffs. We are a small ball team with some power. We need to maximize OBP and maximize our chances with men on. Too many times this year we have men on in scoring position with no outs only to get none out of the inning. Usually its a big strikeout that starts the bailout of the other team. Crede has been hitting better lately. AJ needs to go back to what he was when he was with the twins and that was an all fields hitter. He has been pulling the ball too much lately. This of course is why he has his career high in homers already in mid July. Konerko has $$$ on his mind, so he is hopeless on the pull for homer theory. Carl and Thomas will be fine. Dye has been hitting better. Arow needs to go to right more. Uribe wont change. Maybe if we could play Ozuna more. Uribe plays better when his starting job is up for grabs.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 09:54 AM)
I think the guys we have are very capable of situational hitting outside of Uribe.  He is way to impatient at times.  Last night he got the job done with the ground out.  But he swung at the first pitch that came near the plate.  He got lucky that they were playing back on that one. They need to work counts better, take a few more walks, and put the ball in play without a long arch on it.  We all love home runs just as much as anyone, but the home runs dont come all the time in the playoffs.  We are a small ball team with some power.  We need to maximize OBP and maximize our chances with men on.  Too many times this year we have men on in scoring position with no outs only to get none out of the inning.  Usually its a big strikeout that starts the bailout of the other team.  Crede has been hitting better lately.  AJ needs to go back to what he was when he was with the twins and that was an all fields hitter.  He has been pulling the ball too much lately. This of course is why he has his career high in homers already in mid July.  Konerko has $$$ on his mind, so he is hopeless on the pull for homer theory.  Carl and Thomas will be fine.  Dye has been hitting better.  Arow needs to go to right more. Uribe wont change.  Maybe if we could play Ozuna more. Uribe plays better when his starting job is up for grabs.

Good post. To be honest I don't think Juan knows what the hell he's doing when he's batting, I think he just swings but who knows. As far as AJ I completely agree he's pulling the ball to much but he'll be fine I'm fairly confident in saying that. As has been said already in this thread Carl's been our best clutch hitter by far. Scotty and Gooch have been awesome, no worries about them. Aaron's getting there but he still has problems laying off a good breaking ball from a righty. Like you said Dye's been much better and what we see from Joe is what we're going to get and to be honest that doesn't bother me. Overall, I think the offense has been fine and has been extremely clutch when needed, meaning late innings in close games but they could be better with the overall talent they have.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 03:45 PM)
You can tell it's back to delay just from listening. The show starts at 5am... which is the same time it starts there.. if we were not on delay it would start at 4am here.

He is officially schedule from 6am-10:00 New York time, but he usually goes til 11am New York time. They let him stay in studio as long as we wants sometimes. Just saying what I was told from a guy who ran the control board for him in Chicago. He told me they used to do an hour delay but it was a hassle editing in the commercials or something.

Not to mention after I tried to call in, Stern said it was a quarter to 11 and he had to go and here it was quarter to 10.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 11:14 AM)
He is officially schedule from 6am-10:00 New York time, but he usually goes til 11am New York time. They let him stay in studio as long as we wants sometimes. Just saying what I was told from a guy who ran the control board for him in Chicago. He told me they used to do an hour delay but it was a hassle editing in the commercials or something.

Not to mention after I tried to call in, Stern said it was a quarter to 11 and he had to go and here it was quarter to 10.

Hmmm.. strange. They called Courtney Love on Monday at the start of the show and said it was 2am in California.. that would make it 5am in NY. :huh

Oh well doesn't matter.

Nice job hijacking, jerk. :angry: