7/20 Game thread vs. Detroit

Steff

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 05:17 PM)
Hey, any team running into Douglass and Robertson will have a difficult time scoring. Right?

But don't worry, it's bound to get easier in the playoffs. Rarely will you face good pitching.

I'm not worried, any time you get loss # 31 (while losing 5 out of your last 6 at home) in the middle of July, you can hold your head high. With Contreras and Duque, I like our chances against Boston.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 04:17 PM)
Hey, any team running into Douglass and Robertson will have a difficult time scoring. Right?

But don't worry, it's bound to get easier in the playoffs. Rarely will you face good pitching.

That's beginning to become a legitimate concern for me. Freddy struggles in the early innings and a team like the Yankees and the Angels will score more than 2 runs in the early innings off of him, it would be over by the 3rd.

but we're not supposed to look past today, so I'm going to go do a dance of joy because we're 30 games over .500

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 10:18 PM)
The indians guy was much funnier.

I was kinda hoping we'd bring Linda S. back. By the way, if you want some more Linda S. comedy, her work is littered all over the "from the cubicle" board on chicagosports.com today.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 04:21 PM)
I'm not worried, any time you get loss # 31 (while losing 5 out of your last 6 at home) in the middle of July, you can hold your head high. With Contreras and Duque, I like our chances against Boston.

30 games over 500 yeah. So we lost 3 out of our last 5 series. The dance of the best record in baseball is here.

THe last 2 games our pitching has been aweful, from Contreras and today Garcia just didn't have it. It was dissappointing to see Cotts and Pollite not being able to keep the damage at a minimum. Our pitching lost this series NOT our offense. I'm happy we fought back, but were not going to beat the Red Sox if we keep pitching like this.

We are 1-2 so far on this homestand- i expect it to be 3-4 after Boston leaves. We will split with the defending champs.

Our probable pitching machups:

Tommorow- Buerhle vs Clement (could go either way)

Friday- Garland vs Wakefield (should win this one)

Saturday- El-duque vs Miller (could go either way)

Sunday- Contreras vs Arroyo (could either way)

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 10:30 PM)
30 games over 500 yeah.  So we lost 3 out of our last 5 series. The dance of the best record in baseball is here.

We get it. Being happy with a 62-31 record is wrong. Being sarcastically told that it was twice got the point across. Having it done the third time is just annoying.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 06:30 PM)
THe last 2 games our pitching has been aweful, from Contreras and today Garcia just didn't have it. It was dissappointing to see Cotts and Pollite not being able to keep the damage at a minimum. Our pitching lost this series NOT our offense. I'm happy we fought back, but were not going to beat the Red Sox if we keep pitching like this.

We are 1-2 so far on this homestand- i expect it to be 3-4 after Boston leaves. We will split with the defending champs.

Our probable pitching machups:

Tommorow- Buerhle  vs Clement (could go either way)

Friday-        Garland  vs Wakefield  (should win this one)

Saturday-    El-duque vs Miller      (could go either way)

Sunday-      Contreras vs Arroyo    (could either way)

Freddy pitched poorly today? Wow...

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 03:38 PM)
well he certainly didn't pitch good, he was ok. He shouldn't have been out there in the 9th  :huh:

yes, that was a mistake. Maybe Ozzie was trying to conserve the pen since Hermie's shut down right now? Not sure. I imagine he'll spew forth a reason when some intrepid beat writer asks him.

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 10:38 PM)
well he certainly didn't pitch good, he was ok. He shouldn't have been out there in the 9th  :huh:

agreed cy garland. We have been spoiled by great pitching all year, and im used to freddy only giving up 3-4 runs. he gave up a lot of hits today and that is not like him. contreras didn't pitch good last nite and seeing BOTH Cotts and Pollite giving up hits in the SAME inning was unusual. It did look like our offense came alive in the 9th. Hopefully that carries into the Boston series. :gosox1:

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 04:34 PM)
We get it.  Being happy with a 62-31 record is wrong.  Being sarcastically told that it was twice got the point across.  Having it done the third time is just annoying.

imagine how it feels to be told you should be happy with the record and not complain about 1,000 times

I do not mind people making valid critiques.

But when they start saying Robertson is a nobody, it just detracts from any point they may have.

Its not like Robertson did not shut out the Rangers, or give up 1 run to the Yankees, and only 2 to the Red Sox.

SB

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 03:50 PM)
I do not mind people making valid critiques.

But when they start saying Robertson is a nobody, it just detracts from any point they may have.

Its not like Robertson did not shut out the Rangers, or give up 1 run to the Yankees, and only 2 to the Red Sox.

SB

I wasn't surprised that Douglass and Bonderman shut us down, but Robertson is a pitcher this team should beat, considering we pound lefties.

QUOTE(Colorado Sox Fan @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 04:08 PM)
I just hope we pound Boston so we don't have to hear from the Jack Asses at ESPN about how we can't beat anyone outside our division. At least I won't have to sit through a half hour of SportCenter to see White Sox highlights the next four days.

I usually turn sportscenter on about half way through and wallah! Sox highlights! :D

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 04:57 PM)
I wasn't surprised that Douglass and Bonderman shut us down, but Robertson is a pitcher this team should beat, considering we pound lefties.

Douglass was far from impressive. He may have shown superior location in previous starts, but what I observed was a pitcher missing his spots and hitters flailing away at crap in the dirt.

Honestly, he reminded me of a pitcher our organization would draft: low 90's fastball, low to mid 80's curveball. Except if he were sporting our jersey no team would be missing his meatballs.

Even Hawk, who's willing to conjure any excuse explaining a pitiful White Sox performance, thought our offense would hit Douglass hard unless he threw with pinpoint control. I didn't observe pinpoint control, but rather an offense confused by a soft-tossing pitcher with weak control and equally terrible 'stuff.'

This upcoming Boston series will be a great indication of where our offense stands against a playoff caliber team. If we're dominated, as we've been against Detroit's starters, no one can justify the offense with our record. Same holds true with the pitching.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

Douglass was far from impressive. He may have shown superior location in previous starts, but what I observed was a pitcher missing his spots and hitters flailing away at crap in the dirt.

Honestly, he reminded me of a pitcher our organization would draft: low 90's fastball, low to mid 80's curveball. Except if he were sporting our jersey no team would be missing his meatballs.

Even Hawk, who's willing to conjure any excuse explaining a pitiful White Sox performance, thought our offense would hit Douglass hard unless he threw with pinpoint control. I didn't observe pinpoint control, but rather an offense confused by a soft-tossing pitcher with weak control and equally terrible 'stuff.'

This upcoming Boston series will be a great indication of where our offense stands against a playoff caliber team. If we're dominated, as we've been against Detroit's starters, no one can justify the offense with our record. Same holds true with the pitching.

Insightful post, not sure I agree with all of it, but an excellent post.

I still think the Sox need a pesky bat ... a guy who can pinch hit, draw a walk, drop down a bunt, fill in for a few days, etc. Not too many of those types out there but I really hope KW is looking for a bench upgrade.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 04:47 PM)

This team struggles against righties w/ good sliders, Douglass and Bonderman are those type of pitchers. This is why we need another LH bat BAD!!

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 06:01 PM)
This team struggles against righties w/ good sliders, Douglass and Bonderman are those type of pitchers. This is why we need another LH bat BAD!!

If that's true, which I tend to believe, tomorrows start against Clement won't be too pretty. Ozzie may want to consider benching Thomas in place of Everett for DH.

Gload certaintly isn't our savior, but this is why his presense is needed on this ballclub. On days where our offense faces tough RH starters, Gload could replace Konerko. Just one extra, quality LH bat would help.