Bullpen Set-up

Harry Chappas

While watching the last two games I have come to a conclusion.

Neither of the Cubans can pitch out of the bullpen, should they be needed. Assume they come in with a runner on. Average/Decent speed = stolen base, not what you want late in a game. Think of the impact this had with Brian Roberts lasytyear. That isn't really even the half of it. They need time to establish themselves in a game and work with their stuff over the course of the game. In relief I think they would be a nightmare. Have either of them ever pitched out of the pen????/

I like both of these guys to round out a rotation. They can get hit around and are tough to watch from times but over-all I am fine with the five we have.

Now here is my point. If we make the playoffs, both of them should not be on the roster. Every reliever can pitch in every game, you do not need a long man. This is where I think we need to add a reliever, a good one, and send Jenks down.

For the playoffs, and correct me if I am wrong, we can still add Jenks to replace a starter (as long as he is on teh 40 man) thereby adding a reliever now, send Jenks down for six weeks and go at it in September with him and see what the pen has.

QUOTE(HSC's Biggest Fan @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 10:31 AM)
While watching the last two games I have come to a conclusion.

Neither of the Cubans can pitch out of the bullpen, should they be needed.  Assume they come in with a runner on.  Average/Decent speed = stolen base, not what you want late in a game.  Think of the impact this had with Brian Roberts lasytyear.  That isn't really even the half of it.  They need time to establish themselves in a game and work with their stuff over the course of the game.  In relief I think they would be a nightmare.  Have either of them ever pitched out of the pen????/

I like both of these guys to round out a rotation.  They can get hit around and are tough to watch from times but over-all I am fine with the five we have. 

Now here is my point.  If we make the playoffs, both of them should not be on the roster.  Every reliever can pitch in every game, you do not need a long man.  This is where I think we need to add a reliever, a good one, and send Jenks down. 

For the playoffs, and correct me if I am wrong, we can still add Jenks to replace a starter (as long as he is on teh 40 man) thereby adding a reliever now, send Jenks down for six weeks and go at it in September with him and see what the pen has.

I think Ozzie is trying to figure out what kind of mental makeup that Jenks has, and how far he can push him in certain situations. Last night was case in point, Jenks came in and got the final out of Contreras' disaster, and was given 2 innings to mop up. His first innign went relatively well, only gave up a single to maggs, but he had bases loaded with noone out in his second inning of work, and got out of it. This is only going to make Jenks better for it and more confident in these situations. It will also give Ozzie more confidence in bringing the kid out in tough situations, a confidence that he lost in Shingo. I think Jenks is here to stay, barring a major trade in which Jenks will have to be sent down to make room.

Edited by kyyle23