Crede and Rowand

bjm676

It may be hard for Rowand as long as Torii Hunter is playing, but Crede may be a strong possibility.

Crede, Rowand eye Gold

CHICAGO -- Before the careers of Aaron Rowand and Joe Crede come to a close, each one of the young talents would like to add a Gold Glove to the trophy room in their respective homes.

In fact, Rowand said that if he had the choice of winning a batting title or being honored for his play in center field, it would mean more for his defense to be recognized. But for now, both Rowand and Crede are satisfied to be contributing so much in the field when their offense is not exactly hitting on all cylinders.

Crede had the day off Wednesday against Detroit, but currently maintains a 48-game errorless streak at third base and ranks second in the American League at the position with a .982 fielding percentage. He is hitting .245 with 13 home runs and 41 RBIs.

For Rowand, it's not so much an overall offensive funk, as his .286 average ranks only behind Scott Podsednik among White sox regulars. But Rowand has only one extra-base hit since June 20 and has not homered since delivering a game-winner off Trevor Hoffman on June 12. It's a surprising drought for a power-packed player who hit 24 home runs and 38 doubles in 2004.

Part of Rowand's defensive success comes from his hard-charging attitude, featured at all times. But his defense has improved simply because Podsednik and Jermaine Dye are better outfielders surrounding him.

"A lot of balls where I would have to catch them in right- or left-center or on the wall, I find myself pulling up more often and not having to get those balls or diving for those balls," Rowand said. "All and all, it makes for a lot less extra-base hits and keeps guys off the bases. It has really helped our pitching staff.

"They make my job a lot easier," added Rowand with a laugh. "They are both such good outfielders."

Crede feels it's more a matter of comfort at third base, after playing the position almost every day for three years. He has a better feel for the different big league infields and how they play, and even studies opposing hitters to figure out tendencies.

If it's a left-handed hitter like Hideki Matsui, for example, who slices the ball more toward the line in certain situations, then he will take that step over. The preparation has paid off, as Crede has been mentioned along with Oakland third baseman Eric Chavez as the best in the American League at what they do.

Defense has been an underrated trait of this first-place team in regards to its high level of success. The White Sox sit atop the American League with a .986 fielding percentage, are tied with the Rangers for fewest errors (48) and are tied with Oakland for the third-most double plays turned (91).

This consistency should push the White Sox into the postseason. It also could lead to an individual honor or two. If not Rowand or Crede, there's also second baseman Tadahito Iguchi and catcher A.J. Pierzynski, who has his own errorless streak of 61 games.

"It will be tough because you have a guy like Chavez, who makes all the plays," Crede said. "But it's great any time you win an award that prestigious."

QUOTE(BuehrleTheAce @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 04:01 PM)
I dunno about Aaron, but Crede has shown exactly how much his D means to this club by getting hurt. This side of California, there isn't a third baseman I'd want manning the hot corner other than Crede.

I'd take Rolen...well scratch that, I'd take Rolen if Jesus were around to magically wave his hands over Rolen every time he got hurt.

Gold Gloves are hard to get for the first time. You need other recognition then just fielding percentage....there are a lot of different factors. So I find it very hard that eithier one would win this award. I can see crede getting it if he keeps his streak up, but Aaron I am not so sure of because he doesn't make any of the really really amazing catches like torii does...