Turn him loose

I realize that Iguchi has been a very good number 2 hitter. He has said himself that it has been an adjustment for him and that he is more comfortable batting 3rd. He also has quite a few K's.

How about when Ozuna plays 3rd, bat him #2. Move Iguchi down to drive in runs. Or how about getting someone like a Visquel to play short and bat #2. How about Arow batting #2?

Iguchi seems clutch and has more pop than he's been able to show. Might be worth a try on one of Ozzie's play the bench Sunday's with a double digit lead in the standings.

the friday game against the a's this year we had willie harris playing 2nd and in the 2 hole.

During that game he had 3 chances to move scott pods over w/ no outs.

All those times he failed and the run never came in.

We lost the game 4-2.

Gooch is needed in the 2 hole. He also has an advantage because he's seeing better pitches when pitchers are worried about pods.

Keep him there.

Edited by Soxnbears01

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 04:23 PM)
the friday game against the dodgers this year we had willie harris playing 2nd and in the 2 hole.

We lost the game 4-2.

Gooch is needed in the 2 hole.  He also has an advantage because he's seeing better pitches when pitchers are worried about pods.

Keep him there.

I believe that was against Oakland, not the Dodgers. We didn't have a 4-2 game against the Dodgers. In fact, we didn't against Oakland either, but we lost 1 5-3 and another 6-2. Hell, we swept the Dodgers.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 06:27 PM)
I believe that was against Oakland, not the Dodgers.  We didn't have a 4-2 game against the Dodgers.  In fact, we didn't against Oakland either, but we lost 1 5-3 and another 6-2.  Hell, we swept the Dodgers.

your correct.

brain fart by me, was at a dodger and oakland game. bah

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 05:23 PM)
the friday game against the a's this year we had willie harris playing 2nd and in the 2 hole.

We lost the game 4-2.

Gooch is needed in the 2 hole.  He also has an advantage because he's seeing better pitches when pitchers are worried about pods.

Keep him there.

My feelings as well. Gooch is to valuable in the 2 hole to be moved down.

It's still a little too early to try that, but I like the idea. If the Sox still have a 10+ game lead on Minnesota after August 20th I think its worth a shot , especially if the offense is still impotent. I'd keep him in the 2 hole but let him swing more how he wants to instead of moving him around in the batting order. He's a smart hitter , I doubt he'd try to pull too many with Pods in scoring position.

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 05:23 PM)

We lost the game 4-2.

Keep him there.

ditto

I like this line-up

Pods

Rowand / Pyz against righties

Iguchi

Thomas

Dye / Everett every other date/ match- up platoon

Konerko

etc.

I think they need to move Rowand into a position to do things with the bat other than hit behind that fool Konerko.

I like Iguchi 2nd and Rowand 3rd with Thomas 4th.

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 02:30 AM)
Gooch has produced in the 2 hole all year long no need to change it.

Agreed. But if Pods is on 2nd in the first inning and nobody out, no need to "try and move him over" everytime. Let Gooch try and get him in. If it is in the later innings and we need a run, than I would understand moving runners over.

Let Gooch swing!

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 08:36 PM)
I would love the Sox to acquire a number 3 hitter.  Instead of going out and giving up huge prospects in order to get someone who pitches once every 5 games, why not go out and get an offensive weapon that could play every game?

fathom, honest question who's out there to get?? And where is this player going to play?? Frank isn't going to be benched and nor should he be yet, Pauly isn't going to be benched because he's paul besides that there is no where to put another offensive weapon. Crede, Rowand, AJ, and Juan are all way to valuable to this team defensively to take them out of the lineup, honestly I just don't see where there's room for another hitter.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 03:45 AM)
Agreed. But if Pods is on 2nd in the first inning and nobody out, no need to "try and move him over" everytime. Let Gooch try and get him in. If it is in the later innings and we need a run, than I would understand moving runners over.

Let Gooch swing!

Exactly. We've been playing smallball far too often early in the game lately. We've really struggled out of the gate at home. We're playing a stretch of real solid teams now, and we can't keep thinking we'll shut the other team down the last few innings of the game, and we'll come back against their crappy bullpens. That might work vs KC and Tampa, but you get down to Boston early, and they'll keep on scoring and bury you.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 03:47 AM)
fathom, honest question who's out there to get?? And where is this player going to play??  Frank isn't going to be benched and nor should he be yet, Pauly isn't going to be benched because he's paul besides that there is no where to put another offensive weapon.  Crede, Rowand, AJ, and Juan are all way to valuable to this team defensively to take them out of the lineup, honestly I just don't see where there's room for another hitter.

I know, that's something that I've been thinking. There's something about our roster that just annoys me right now. We don't have much flexibility offensively, even though it seems like we should. I still hate Ozuna playing 3b. Here's a potential option: Ken Griffey Jr. in CF. I know, I know...he has the big contract and is injury-plagued. However, I've been very impressed with his hitting this season, and he could give us a whole different dimension at the plate. We definitely need help against tough righty pitchers.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 09:50 PM)
I know, that's something that I've been thinking.  There's something about our roster that just annoys me right now.  We don't have much flexibility offensively, even though it seems like we should.  I still hate Ozuna playing 3b.  Here's a potential option:  Ken Griffey Jr. in CF.  I know, I know...he has the big contract and is injury-plagued.  However, I've been very impressed with his hitting this season, and he could give us a whole different dimension at the plate.  We definitely need help against tough righty pitchers.

Here's the thing I'll say, I'd love to add another bat somewhere and ideally for me it'd be first base but that's not going to happen. I'd love to add a bat at first but I don't think we necessarily need to add a bat. I know you say we only beat up on the royals pen but we've beaten up some good bullpens this year. I don't know man, I just don't see us adding another bat there just isn't much room to start a big bat in this lineup.

EDIT: I will say though that the idea of Griffey has started to really cross my mind. Everytime I watch him now I get flashbacks to the old junior. The one thing is obviously his contract and he has lost a step defensively. Once again the problem is there is no where to play him.

Edited by Rowand44

I dont want to mess with Iguchi. He's done everything that is expected from a number two guy. I can see you point though. He batted third in Japan and he has the ability to drive in runs.

Its the middle of the lineup that needs some fixing plus Uribe. They must produce more in the second half.

Edited by Ozzie Montana