Sox interested in Batista?

soxfan3530

Chicago White Sox Updated:07/20/2005

The chronic back problems of Dustin Hermanson have White Sox weighing closer options both inside and outside the organization, says the Chicago Tribune. Of the closers who might be available, the Sox are more intrigued by Toronto's Miguel Batista.

I agree. The biggest mistake a GM can make is to overpay for a closer. Look at how Benitez worked out for San Francisco, or Kolb for Atlanta. Or, how Koch looked for us. The thing about closers is anyone can play the role as long as they are hot, and once a team finds a guy who can get the job done, they should ride the hot hand. This year it seems like Batista has his s*** together, and he would look really good on this team.

Don't overpay for Wagner or not so Everyday Eddie.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 11:29 AM)
If the price for Guardado and Wagner are 2 high Id love to have Batista in our bullpen.

Hence why I've said he's a perfect option for us to trade for. Has great splits as well.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 07:37 PM)
Hence why I've said he's a perfect option for us to trade for. Has great splits as well.

he is a terrific option. KW has been after him before as well. unfortunately in a sellers market he will command alot in return, but thats how it will be for just about everybody. lets not forget he has playoff experience with arizona in 2001, and if i remember correctly, he did very well, 2 hits in 7 innings the LCS. chemistry is also not an issue with him, as i believe a few years ago he was voted "the best guy in baseball"

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 07:37 PM)

I'm 100 percent with you on this one dbaho. I'd absolutely have to have Batista in the pen. You can never have to many arms. Also if I'm not mistaken he signed a 3 or 4 year deal last offseason so he'd be around for atleast next year as well.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 10:25 PM)
I'm 100 percent with you on this one dbaho.  I'd absolutely have to have Batista in the pen.  You can never have to many arms.  Also if I'm not mistaken he signed a 3 or 4 year deal last offseason so he'd be around for atleast next year as well.

Close. He is signed through next year at 4.75 million.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 09:18 PM)
he is a terrific option. KW has been after him before as well. unfortunately in a sellers market he will command alot in return, but thats how it will be for just about everybody. lets not forget he has playoff experience with arizona in 2001, and if i remember correctly, he did very well, 2 hits in 7 innings the LCS. chemistry is also not an issue with him, as i believe a few years ago he was voted "the best guy in baseball"

He would be perfect at the Cell also. He has a lot of sink to his pitches and would be a ground ball machine. Plus his velocity is still there.

And no back issues. :banghead