What Is Wrong With Rowand

Cubs Suck23

QUOTE(thelatinoheat_30 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 08:26 PM)
funny how you didn't say i was wrong.  what was the point of that?  i know he's good defensively, just pointing out that he's had a few lapses lately.  obviously you are drunk or you and that other guy are buddies, cause what i commented on is EXACTLY what DJ commented on. i don't think he'd be allowed on-air drunk.  dj can also see the whole field, whose word am i gonna take?  dj, a former pro player, or you, someone who obviously overlooks mistakes by his players.  easy choice.(and it's not you)

Let me be perfectly clear.

You never metioned "lately". You were talking about Aaron's defense as a whole.

If you meant, just this series, you were not clear.

But your attack on SS2k5 was neither nice, appropiate nor smart.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Even a .300 hitter fails 7 times to hit a ball.

But I understand the short term memory of a lot of fans, especially after a loss.

[/quote

Nice! Anyway,the point is I think Rowand is one of the best fielders in MLB.I just was not happy with his play in this series. I think Pods is the one who needs some help in the outfield. I too have season tickets in left field,and Pods get the worse jumps I've ever seen! Rowand gets the best!

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 08:33 PM)
Let me be perfectly clear.

You never metioned "lately". You were talking about Aaron's defense as a whole.

If you meant, just this series, you were not clear.

But your attack on SS2k5 was neither nice, appropiate nor smart.

:lolhitting i attacked him? he's the one who called me drunk first. whatever.

maybe i didn't mention it directly about "lately", but if you've been watching the games, you would've known what i meant. i'm sure ozzie or one of the coaches have talked to him and fixed that. just a couple of lapses. and it was not just this series, it was another non-tigers game in the past week too.

Edited by thelatinoheat_30

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 09:26 PM)
Even a .300 hitter fails 7 times to hit a ball.

But I understand the short term memory of a lot of fans, especially after a loss.

I hate to disagree, but there is nothing short term about it. Aaron has been disappointing this entire season, and to argue against that is just ignorant, and to say you didn't expect A LOT more would be lying. Yes, Aaron is capable of being a .300 hitter, but right now he is a .284 hitter. I believe KW and co. expected Aaron to continue his upward trend from last year, when in part time duty he hit .310 with a .544 slugging percentage.

Hell, the year before (2003,) Aaron hit .287 with a .452 slugging percentage. What is his slugging percentage this year? A HORRIBLE .391. I am sorry but that is not going to cut it.

Aaron Rowand has been a huge disappointment this year. I love him, but its true.

The problem with aaron this year is his approach to the plate. He was up near 300 around the Padre series. He was quoted in the paper about going for more power. He was going to get out in front of the ball so he could center it up more. Ever since he did this his strikeouts have went up and he has been pulling the ball more. His pitch selection to hit is worse also. When he was hitting 3rd he had guys on base a lot more and got more fastballs to hit. Without any protection he will get fed a good deal of sliders in the dirt which he swings at.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 09:03 PM)
I hate to disagree, but there is nothing short term about it.  Aaron has been disappointing this entire season, and to argue against that is just ignorant, and to say you didn't expect A LOT more would be lying.  Yes, Aaron is capable of being  a .300 hitter, but right now he is a .284 hitter.  I believe KW and co. expected Aaron to continue his upward trend from last year, when in part time duty he hit .310 with a .544 slugging percentage. 

Hell, the year before (2003,) Aaron hit .287 with a .452 slugging percentage.  What is his slugging percentage this year?  A HORRIBLE .391.  I am sorry but that is not going to cut it.

Aaron Rowand has been a huge disappointment this year.  I love him, but its true.

I was only referring to him defensively.

The problem with Aaron right now is that he can't lay off the down and away breaking balls off right handers, this is something he learned to do much better last year, hence the nice season. Aaron's a very talented player and I think he can get back to the way he hit last season he's just got to be able to take those breaking balls again.

QUOTE(MattZakrowski @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 08:58 PM)
I say bench and try to trade Rowand, move Pods to center and play everett in left. It will hurt our defense, but having Everett's bat in the lineup more often can't be a bad thing.

Pods in center for a season let alone a game is a terrible idea.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 03:29 AM)
The problem with Aaron right now is that he can't lay off the down and away breaking balls off right handers, this is something he learned to do much better last year, hence the nice season.  Aaron's a very talented player and I think he can get back to the way he hit last season he's just got to be able to take those breaking balls again.

Rowand has warning track power compared to last year. Last season, Rowand hit quite a few homers to the opposite field. This year, those opposite field drives are being caught on the warning track.

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 09:31 PM)
He got WAY overpaid for 1 good year and he has his money now, he is not really all that good and is on cruise control, I would trade him if someone would take him?

Oye ve. His contract wasn't that big, he's worth that kind of money alone because of his defense.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 09:34 PM)
Rowand has warning track power compared to last year.  Last season, Rowand hit quite a few homers to the opposite field.  This year, those opposite field drives are being caught on the warning track.

I'm not going to argue with you on this, fathom. We've had this discussion before you know where I stand and vice versa, lets just leave it at that. :cheers

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 03:34 AM)
Oye ve.  His contract wasn't that big, he's worth that kind of money alone because of his defense.

There's quite a few similarities between Rowand and Uribe. Overachieving season, guaranteed 3 year deal, subpar season after the contract.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 10:34 PM)
Oye ve.  His contract wasn't that big, he's worth that kind of money alone because of his defense.

You are a AR fan per your name, I am not, fact is 1 good year.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 03:35 AM)
I'm not going to argue with you on this, fathom.  We've had this discussion before you know where I stand and vice versa, lets just leave it at that. :cheers

I know. It's not like I dislike Rowand. He seems like a great guy. I've had to bite my tongue from saying too much in this thread.

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 09:37 PM)
You are a AR fan per your name, I am not, fact is 1 good year.

I've always liked Aaron and I always will because of the way he plays the game. Now, if I didn't think he was worth the money he was making I'd tell you. No one player is greater then the team no matter how much someone likes that player, I had this same discussion about Frank a few weeks back.

AR said in an interview last week that his swing has been "off" this year and that he hasn't found the consistency, each day it feels different. He's working on it. I hope he gets it hammered out quick. We need someone to get smoking hot right about now, someone who can hit for power and more importantly to this team, average.

I would cry like a baby everynight if for some silly reason KW moved AaRow out and put Pods in CF. I'm sorry, but the ONLY reason Pods makes some of the catches he does is because of speed. He has no idea in terms of defensive positioning. And to put him out in charge of teh OF in CF is just, not a good idea.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 04:07 AM)
We need someone to get smoking hot right about now, someone who can hit for power and more importantly to this team, average.

J. Dye was quietly a beast the last month and a half before the ASB. He was clearly our best offensive weapon. However, he seems to have cooled off since the 2nd half started.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 10:14 PM)
I would cry like a baby everynight if for some silly reason KW moved AaRow out and put Pods in CF. I'm sorry, but the ONLY reason Pods makes some of the catches he does is because of speed. He has no idea in terms of defensive positioning. And to put him out in charge of teh OF in CF is just, not a good idea.

Scott in centerfield everyday is an awful idea. I love scott but he's a terrible centerfielder.