Am I the only one?

fathom

Every other post I see on this board deals with how some player will help our team in the postseason. Am I the only one who doesn't think it's a lock we make the playoffs this season? In no way am I trying to be pessimistic with this, but I've watched enough sports in my life to know that much, much, much crazier things have happened than a team with a 13 (now down to 11) game lead in their division not making the postseason. The Twins have been a dynamite 2nd half team for a couple of seasons now, and we have a ton of games left against them this season. In no way do I feel like the AL Central divison has been decided. If we can't win some slugfests against the Red Sox and Yankees this season, we're going to struggle against them.

This is one of the biggest reasons that I get upset when I see Ozzie make quotes about how this team doesn't need to make any changes. It's better to be proactive, and go for the "kill", then to wait to see if something bad happens, and then have to make a reactive move.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 10:20 PM)
Every other post I see on this board deals with how some player will help our team in the postseason.  Am I the only one who doesn't think it's a lock we make the playoffs this season?  In no way am I trying to be pessimistic with this, but I've watched enough sports in my life to know that much, much, much crazier things have happened than a team with a 13 (now down to 11) game lead in their division not making the postseason.  The Twins have been a dynamite 2nd half team for a couple of seasons now, and we have a ton of games left against them this season.  In no way do I feel like the AL Central divison has been decided.  If we can't win some slugfests against the Red Sox and Yankees this season, we're going to struggle against them. 

This is one of the biggest reasons that I get upset when I see Ozzie make quotes about how this team doesn't need to make any changes.  It's better to be proactive, and go for the "kill", then to wait to see if something bad happens, and then have to make a reactive move.

I'd be lying if I said I haven't looked ahead to potential matchups in the playoffs or crap like that but do I think this race is locked up? Nope, until that magic number hits 0 the race is not over and I will never count the Twins out of anything.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 10:23 PM)
I'd be lying if I said I haven't looked ahead to potential matchups in the playoffs or crap like that but do I think this race is locked up?  Nope, until that magic number hits 0 the race is not over and I will never count the Twins out of anything.

Bingo. I am still afraid of the Twins right now.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 11:27 PM)
KGJr, Wagner, Guardado. Just a couple of names that come to mind.

Meh. That's not like Randy Johnson or Carlos Beltran type kill. Plus we're losing major league talent so does it really offset that much? Debatable.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 09:20 PM)
Every other post I see on this board deals with how some player will help our team in the postseason.  Am I the only one who doesn't think it's a lock we make the playoffs this season?  In no way am I trying to be pessimistic with this, but I've watched enough sports in my life to know that much, much, much crazier things have happened than a team with a 13 (now down to 11) game lead in their division not making the postseason.  The Twins have been a dynamite 2nd half team for a couple of seasons now, and we have a ton of games left against them this season.  In no way do I feel like the AL Central divison has been decided.  If we can't win some slugfests against the Red Sox and Yankees this season, we're going to struggle against them. 

This is one of the biggest reasons that I get upset when I see Ozzie make quotes about how this team doesn't need to make any changes.  It's better to be proactive, and go for the "kill", then to wait to see if something bad happens, and then have to make a reactive move.

Man, I got blasted by some for just raising the possibility that management is getting complacent with a 12 (now 11) game lead. But I agree with you. I think the Sox gained 4 games on the Twins in one week in late June, if I remember correctly. This thing is sooo far from over that all this playoff talk makes me :puke

Edited by The Ginger Kid

I'll be very happy if the Sox come out of this weekend with a double digit lead still in tact. The twins don't "scare" me like they did in the past, but they certainly concern me. The great thing is that this year's Sox feel so different from the days of Valentin, Lee and Ordonez.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 12:34 AM)
Man, I got blasted by some for just raising the possibility that management is getting complacent with a 12 (now 11) game lead. But I agree with you. I think the Sox gained 4 games on the Twins in one week in late June, if I remember correctly. This thing is sooo far from over that all this playoff talk makes me  :puke

The Sox gained 4 games on the Twins over the first 5 games after the break, the Cleveland sweep and game 1 against Detroit. The Twins lost 4 of 5 during that same time frame.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 11:02 PM)
The Sox gained 4 games on the Twins over the first 5 games after the break, the Cleveland sweep and game 1 against Detroit.  The Twins lost 4 of 5 during that same time frame.

so, an 11 game lead could be a 6 or 7 game lead in less than a week. Wait! Damnit, I'm being negative again! :bang

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 01:05 AM)
so, an 11 game lead could be a 6 or 7 game lead in less than a week. Wait! Damnit, I'm being negative again! :bang

You are also being realistic. Fathom is correct. This thing is far from over.

Of the reamaining games this seasons, only 19 are against teams with sub .500 records, and the Tigers are playing near .500 right now. We play the Twins, BoSox, Yankees, Rangers, Angels, etc. This is not over by a long shot. I am thrilled with what the White Sox have done thus far this year, and I really don't see any reasons why they can't continue playing good baseball. I do hope that KW tries to pick up another bat or pitcher to help grind out the rest of the season, and hopefully the playoffs as well.

My inner pessimist looks at the Sox' very tough August schedule and gets very worried.

Then my inner optimist looks at the Twins' August schedule and sees that they play practically the exact same teams the Sox do.....and my pessimist feels a little better.

As usual, it will come down to how the Sox play against the Twins, and this year I feel better about that than I have in the past few years.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 11:20 PM)
Every other post I see on this board deals with how some player will help our team in the postseason.  Am I the only one who doesn't think it's a lock we make the playoffs this season?

No, you are not the only one that thinks that way - I am taking it one day at a time. :cheers

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 08:58 AM)
No, you are not the only one that thinks that way - I am taking it one day at a time.  :cheers

That's the best way to enjoy a magical season ... if that's what this turns out to be.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 09:03 AM)
That's the best way to enjoy a magical season ... if that's what this turns out to be.

Even if we lose in the first round of the playoffs, this has been a magical season. Like I keep saying, in 105 years of history a Sox team has NEVER been this good for this long.

When you consider how frighteningly similar our offense has been lately to the hated "Corpseball" from years past, I myself am very concerned. Also, wasn't it the '95 Angels that had a 10 game lead over Seattle on August 20th or so, only to blow it in the last month?

This team is better than Corpseball teams of years past, especially in the pitching dept., but I'm not at all convinced that this is a set-in-stone playoff team. I don't care what the odds say.