Sox Trade Notes

Cubs Suck23

Chicago White Sox

Current position: First place, AL Central

What they need: Chicago is blessed with a tremendous team defense, and a great pitching staff in all facets. The offensive attack is another matter. The Sox have the best record in baseball, but they rank only sixth in the AL in runs scored. That might not sound like an indictment, but U.S. Cellular drastically inflates run scoring. If there's an offensive fault to be isolated, it's at the shortstop position. This season, AL shortstops are batting .273 AVG/.327 OBP/.409 SLG, while White Sox shortstops are batting only .231 AVG/.263 OBP/.345 SLG. That's a significant drop-off, and it's one that needs to be addressed before July 31.

Possible targets: Shortstop — Alex Gonzalez, Julio Lugo, Omar Vizquel

What they can trade: If it's a blockbuster-type deal, they might be willing to part with Brandon McCarthy. Failing that, prospects like Ryan Sweeney, Josh Fields and Gio Gonzalez could be involved.

QUOTE(Cubs Suck23 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 10:17 PM)
Chicago is blessed with a tremendous team defense, and a great pitching staff in all facets. The offensive attack is another matter.

How cool is it that the Sox have people talking about their pitching and defense, something that's been soooo sorely lacking for so long. We had to give up something to get something.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 09:13 AM)
Never mind    17  errors  :puke

He is a good fantasy player for me though :chair

... which should not be taken into consideration when you are talking about real baseball.

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 09:22 AM)
Julio Lugo is a great player.  .290 avg. / 3 HR / 36 rbi/  27 SB.  Some good stats.

I think KW sould be concerned with his defense though.  Like someone said earlier he has like 15 errors.

Do you remember all the b****ing and moaning about Valentin's defense? Thisa guy would be known as JulioE6 in no time.

QUOTE(Cubs Suck23 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 12:17 AM)
Chicago White Sox

Current position: First place, AL Central

What they need: Chicago is blessed with a tremendous team defense, and a great pitching staff in all facets. The offensive attack is another matter. The Sox have the best record in baseball, but they rank only sixth in the AL in runs scored. That might not sound like an indictment, but U.S. Cellular drastically inflates run scoring. If there's an offensive fault to be isolated, it's at the shortstop position. This season, AL shortstops are batting .273 AVG/.327 OBP/.409 SLG, while White Sox shortstops are batting only .231 AVG/.263 OBP/.345 SLG. That's a significant drop-off, and it's one that needs to be addressed before July 31.

Possible targets: Shortstop — Alex Gonzalez, Julio Lugo, Omar Vizquel

What they can trade: If it's a blockbuster-type deal, they might be willing to part with Brandon McCarthy. Failing that, prospects like Ryan Sweeney, Josh Fields and Gio Gonzalez could be involved.

We have chemistry and that will compensate for lack of offense......especially in the playoffs.

Ozzie thinks our pitching staff will keep every team under 4 runs per game in the playoffs so that despite our offense, we'd still have a chance to win. I want to hear plan B.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 08:25 AM)
We have chemistry and that will compensate for lack of offense......especially in the playoffs.

Ozzie thinks our pitching staff will keep every team under 4 runs per game in the playoffs so that despite our offense, we'd still have a chance to win. I want to hear plan B.

The only knock on Vizquel is his age and of course the master of the ZR and range factor SABR stuff. He plays the game the way we want, he has very soft hands and can provide another good left handed bat in the lineup. He a high OBP line drive hitting guy we need in the lineup.

I would rather have him over Gonzales and Lugo. Lugo can hit until the cows come home but we dont need stone hands over roaming SS again. Gonzales sounds like Uribe, strong arm great defense, cant hit the low and away pitch and prone to long streaks.

The Sox have got to decide whether or not its advantageous to acquire Vizquel right now, when they wouldn't offer him a 3 year deal in the off-season. Sure he probably contribute next season, but what about in 2007?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 02:50 PM)
The Sox have got to decide whether or not its advantageous to acquire Vizquel right now, when they wouldn't offer him a 3 year deal in the off-season. Sure he probably contribute next season, but what about in 2007?

If the Giants are willing to pick up a good portion of his contract, say half, then why not? He could be a Sandy Alomar Jr. type...a SS and in-dugout infield coach. Uribe, if we decide to keep him, will be super-utility/Crede replacement.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 11:55 PM)
How cool is it that the Sox have people talking about their pitching and defense, something that's been soooo sorely lacking for so long. We had to give up something to get something.

i know alot of people on here don't like him, but i personally think hes a pretty decent writer and calls it like it is. he uses new age stats, but also doesnt look at em like the bible like some cougghrobneyercough.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 09:50 AM)

Did we even offer him two years in the off season??

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 08:57 AM)
Did we even offer him two years in the off season??

yeah supposedly he chose the giants over chisox because he got the third year he wanted in SF, and we were only giving him 2

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 12:55 AM)
If the Giants are willing to pick up a good portion of his contract, say half, then why not?  He could be a Sandy Alomar Jr. type...a SS and in-dugout infield coach.  Uribe, if we decide to keep him, will be super-utility/Crede replacement.

I don't think the Giants are going to pay any of his deal, hence why I asked the question. Here's his contract FWIW;

3-year deal worth 12.25M signed on 11/14/04 thru 2007 season- + he receives salaries of 2.5M in 2005, 4M in 2006 and 4M in 2007- + 1.75M of a signing bonus is deferred till 2008-2009 (1M paid in 2008 and 750K in 2009)

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 09:50 AM)

I cannot stress this enough. :finger 2007 right in its :booty

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 03:11 PM)
I don't think the Giants are going to pay any of his deal, hence why I asked the question. Here's his contract FWIW;

3-year deal worth 12.25M signed on 11/14/04 thru 2007 season- + he receives salaries of 2.5M in 2005, 4M in 2006 and 4M in 2007- + 1.75M of a signing bonus is deferred till 2008-2009 (1M paid in 2008 and 750K in 2009)

That's not a bad contract if the Giants pick up the remainder of this year and the signing bonus. We can always turn around and trade him, too after this year or next.

Milkman...c'mon, you know that even though they SAY they will do anything to win this year, that's not what management is THINKING.

Edited by TheDybber

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 01:14 AM)
That's not a bad contract if the Giants pick up the remainder of this year and the signing bonus.  We can always turn around and trade him, too after this year or next.

Milkman...c'mon, you know that even though they SAY they will do anything to win this year, that's not what management is THINKING.

If Vizquel doesn't perform well next season, it's going to be hard to trade an old shortstop who's making $4,000,000 to someone. And yes we're going for it this year, but the Sox don't want to tied into a long - term deal like Ken Griffey Jr. It also impacts into their future plans with Crede and Uribe.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 09:42 AM)
I understand that...  I think it was his sb's and and avg that had me over-looking his D.

Uribe = .236

Lugo = .290

not even close

Uribe = 7 HR

Lugo = 3 HR

not too big a difference

Uribe = 2 SB

Lugo = 27 SB

I though Uribe used to be faster, the fatass!

Uribe = 9 errors

Lugo = 17 errors

is that difference too much?

Uribe = 0 wives beaten

Lugo = 1 wife beaten

that may be the clincher

Uribe has been so disappointing on all facets, I'd be willing to try it. Though Vizquel is my cream dream with his experience and ability to get on base.