More explosions in London

mreye

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 08:13 AM)
Doesn't look too bad at all.  According to CNBC there was only one person hurt and no deaths.

While I see your point, Nuke. I think this is worse because it shows the blatant failure of security just 2 weeks after the previous bombings.

I don't know what the feeling is in Britain yet, Tony Blair the PM is due to speak shortly, but I first hand from down here a lot of Aussies are really starting to get worried about the possibility of a terrorist attack down here, we're really the only major allied country out of the big 3 that hasn't had one yet, and hopefully it stays that way. Looks like 1 guy is on the run, as I'm getting reports here on the news, ahh looks like they've arrested someone just now.

QUOTE(mreye @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 08:20 AM)
While I see your point, Nuke. I think this is worse because it shows the blatant failure of security just 2 weeks after the previous bombings.

I disagree. First of all mass transit systems are nearly impossible to seal off and protect because of their wide-open nature. You're always going to have problems stopping attacks like this from a determined group of terrorists unless you want to turn every subway station and bus stop into a mini-airport complete with airport style security.

Security services over there did a fantastic job of getting the affected areas evacuated and have already made arrests.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 09:37 AM)
I disagree.  First of all mass transit systems are nearly impossible to seal off and protect because of their wide-open nature.  You're always going to have problems stopping attacks like this from a determined group of terrorists unless you want to turn every subway station and bus stop into a mini-airport complete with airport style security. 

Security services over there did a fantastic job of getting the affected areas evacuated and have already made arrests.

OK.. how about the fact that it happened at all..??

Or maybe... "Thank God there weren't more injuries, etc.." versus.. "eh... not so bad.."

So far all I've been able to pick up is that while the incedury devices went off, the bombs didn't. So there are four would be bombers running around London. Or should I say 3 because as I type I hear that they think they've arrested one in a hospital.

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 10:49 AM)
So far all I've been able to pick up is that while the incedury devices went off, the bombs didn't. So there are four would be bombers running around London. Or should I say 3 because as I type I hear that they think they've arrested one in a hospital.

Four "bombs" and none went off? This is not what it appears, I'd bet.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 04:51 PM)
Four "bombs" and none went off?  This is not what it appears, I'd bet.

It appears that the bombers didn't know what they were doing this time. So "experts" are considering the question of wether these are copy cat bombers.

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 10:53 AM)
It appears that the bombers didn't know what they were doing this time. So "experts" are considering the question of wether these are copy cat bombers.

Or ... this was a sham by someone wanting to make the British security look bad.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 04:54 PM)
Or ... this was a sham by someone wanting to make the British security look bad.

As there have already been 2 arrests made this may have backfired on them. If these arrests turn out to be corrected how good is our security service? Two people found among millions in a matter of hours. :britishflag: :britishflag:

Edited by DePloderer

This was either a well planned "small" attack to cause as much disruption as possible, or these terrorists bomb making skills aren't very good.

Early reports are that some materials found at the scene, are the same/similar as those used on 7/7. (I can't remember the name of the materials - but it's a white powder)

My early guess is that something went wrong (for the terrorists) and they didn't detonate properly.

I hope I'm wrong.

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 11:53 AM)

I thought the same thing.

I guess that makes me an "expert" as well.

The bombs were very poorly wired. The detonators went off but nothing happened. Apparently one of the reports went like so:

Dude in rucksack enters station, rucksack explodes. Guy doesn't know what the f***, everyone runs away.

Amateurs. The IRA could smuggle a f***ing truck bomb into London and these tards can't even wire a 10 lb explosive?

Suspect has been shot;

POLICE have shot and killed a man, suspected of being one of the bombers who attacked trains and a bus yesterday, at Stockwell Tube station in south London.

"We can confirm that just after 10am (1900 AEST) armed officers entered Stockwell Tube station," a police spokesman said.

"A man was challenged by officers and subsequently shot ... He was pronounced dead at the scene."

Police later said the man who had been shot was suspected of being one of the bombers who attacked London trains and a bus yesterday, Reuters reported.

Witnesses quoted by BBC and Sky News said the man who was shot appeared to have been of South Asian origin.

Police chased him, he tripped, and then they shot him, the witnesses said.

"They pushed him onto the floor and unloaded five shots into him. He's dead," witness Mark Whitby told the BBC.

Mr Whitby said the man did not seem to have been carrying anything, but he was wearing a thick coat that seemed to be padded.

Chris Wells, a passenger evacuated from a train at Stockwell, said he saw about 20 police officers, some armed, rushing into the station before a man jumped over the barriers with police giving chase.

"There were at least 20 of them (officers) and they were carrying big black guns," he said.

"The next thing I saw was this guy jump over the barriers and the police officers were chasing after him and everyone was just shouting 'Get out, get out'."

Christopher Scaglione said: "I was just on my way out when I heard at first a little bang – not like a bomb, more like a gun – and then people were shouting.

"People then started to run and I heard two or three more bangs like people shooting."

Passenger Briony Coetsee said: "We were on the Tube and then we suddenly heard someone say 'get out, get out' and then we heard gunshots."

Alistair Drummond of the London Ambulance Service said paramedics had been called to the station.

Stockwell is one stop south of Oval station, one of three Underground stops that were, together with a double-decker bus, the scenes of would-be attacks yesterday.

Also today, two more stations, Vauxhall, near Stockwell and Oval stations, And Angel & Islington in north London, were closed temporarily because of suspect packages.

Reporters at each scene said the stations was reopened after the packages turned out to be harmless abandoned luggage.

The failed attacks yesterday took place two weeks to the day after suicide bombers - three of them believed to have been Britons of Pakistani origin - attacked three Underground trains and a double-decker bus, killing 56 and injuring some 700.