Alex Gonzalez, the Marlins one

maggsmaggs

Unfortunately for the Marlins' chances of retaining Gonzalez, his agents are likely to use as a guidepost the five-year, $40 million contract fellow shortstop Jimmy Rollins received from the Phillies this summer.

White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen remains a huge fan of Gonzalez, with whom he worked as Marlins third-base coach in 2002-03. That's one reason the Marlins have told people they expect Gonzalez to sign with the White Sox this winter.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-mar...ports-headlines

He's a guy we could trade for this year, maybe Uribe and Contreras for A.J. Burnett and Alex Gonzalez. We would probably have to add a prospect, but we wouldn't lose anything as Gonzo is just as good defensively and better offesively. However, he would make a lot of money next year and Uribe will still be reletively cheap. Also, I still like Juan and think he could turn it around this year. But, just something to think about.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 07:51 AM)
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-mar...ports-headlines

He's a guy we could trade for this year, maybe Uribe and Contreras for A.J. Burnett and Alex Gonzalez.  We would probably have to add a prospect, but we wouldn't lose anything as Gonzo is just as good defensively and better offesively.  However, he would make a lot of money next year and Uribe will still be reletively cheap.  Also, I still like Juan and think he could turn it around this year.  But, just something to think about.

Throw Todd Jones in there and maybe...

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 08:06 AM)
Throw Todd Jones in there and maybe...

hes a decent option, but i dont think hes THAT much of an upgrade, especially not to trade a lot for. like you said if they include him in the burnett deal i wouldnt have a problem with it. i think alex gonzlaez is pretty underrated.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 09:34 AM)
One of the most underrated SS in the game.  I would easily take him over Uribe, any day of the week.  In fact, throw in Castillo.

I agree with the first part but gooch has been good all season no need to change it

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 12:37 AM)
You are a fool if you think that Gooch is better than Castillo.

But the Marlins are never going to trade Castillo anyway, so there's no real point to argue about him. They probably even trade Juan Pierre before Castillo.

If Uribe was included in the deal, it makes alot of sense for both teams. The Marlins get a young SS signed for 3 years, and the White Sox get a very solid SS who wants to play for Ozzie.

I would do it ina heartbeat.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 09:40 AM)
If Uribe was included in the deal, it makes alot of sense for both teams.  The Marlins get a young SS signed for 3 years, and the White Sox get a very solid SS who wants to play for Ozzie.

I would do it ina heartbeat.

Gonzales and Uribe are the same creature. One just has a better batting stance.

Both like to go for power and fall in love with their power making them streaky hitters.

Both play great defense and have cannon arms.

Both have high strikeout rates.

Vizquel I can see getting him. But Gonzales, no.

I've seen a lot of Gonzalez from following the Marlins and i would take him in a heartbeat. The guy is simply amazing in the field and has a decent bat too. It's come along some the past couple of years. He'll never hit .300 but he can give you more consistent numbers than Crede and Uribe will

QUOTE(ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 03:12 PM)
I've seen a lot of Gonzalez from following the Marlins and i would take him in a heartbeat. The guy is simply amazing in the field and has a decent bat too. It's come along some the past couple of years. He'll never hit .300 but he can give you more consistent numbers than Crede and Uribe will

He is amazing in the field, but that's not our problem here. You say his bat has come along in the past couple of years, was that not including last season's .270 OBP, which was the WORST OBP IN BASEBALL? If that's what counts as "coming along" where did it come from?

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 02:36 PM)
He is amazing in the field, but that's not our problem here.  You say his bat has come along in the past couple of years, was that not including last season's .270 OBP, which was the WORST OBP IN BASEBALL?  If that's what counts as "coming along" where did it come from?

He's having his best season average-wise this season (around .280) and the last two seasons he's had something like 18 and 23 HR and over 75 RBI each year...as the #8 hitter. Plus, he bats in fron of the pitcher and doesnt get a lot of great pitches to swing at. Im not saying he's a great offensive player but he's not that bad and hitting that low his job isnt to get on base at the rate of a 1-2 guy. He has shown the past couple years he can drive in runs and thats been important for Florida the past couple seasons. Also, Pro Player isnt the most hitter-friendly park either.