Great America..

Steff

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 09:55 AM)
I heard a guy died there last week.  Apparently, he had a heart attack and the pool was so crowded that no one noticed.  I have also heard it's nice, but way too crowded.

Wow.. Got a link for that story..?

the next time I go to a Waterpark it will either be Holiday World or somewhere at the Dells. I can just imagine how crowded Great America gets, even on an off-day. The Dells has alot of different waterparks to offer, and Holidayworld is far enough out there to not be too crowded.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 08:48 AM)
Anyone been to the new water park there yet?

I have not been there yet but my friend who goes there all the time said the waterpark is awesome but that it is way to crowded.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 08:55 AM)
I heard a guy died there last week.  Apparently, he had a heart attack and the pool was so crowded that no one noticed.  I have also heard it's nice, but way too crowded.

I heard that too. It was in the wave pool.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 10:19 AM)
I have not been there yet but my friend who goes there all the time said the waterpark is awesome but that it is way to crowded.

Cool. That means the other rides will be easier to get on.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 09:23 AM)
Can't find anything on it..  :huh

Man Collapses, Dies At Six Flags Hurricane Harbor 

Gurnee, Ill (Chicago Tribune) - A 68-year-old Chicago man died at St. Therese Medical Center in Waukegan Wednesday after a cardiac arrest at Six Flags’ Hurricane Harbor Water Park in Gurnee.

Phillipe Luna was wading in 3-foot-deep water in a wave pool at the park around 4:30 p.m. when he showed symptoms of a heart attack or seizure, according to a Six Flags press release.

"Our lifeguards responded immediately and began CPR on the guest and called for an ambulance," Six Flags spokeswoman Michelle Hoffman said. "According to the family, this man had a history of cardiac and other medical problems."

Six Flags emergency medical staff tried to revive Luna. He was in full cardiac arrest when Gurnee Fire Department paramedics arrived at the scene at 4:38 p.m., said Capt. Barry Henby.

Lake County Coroner Richard Keller confirmed Luna had a history of heart disease. The coroner’s office will conduct an autopsy today to determine cause of death.

While looking for that, I also found this:

Breast-feeding discouraged at Six Flags 

Gurnee, IL (Associated Press) - A North Chicago woman has complained that she was asked to stop breast-feeding her child in a wading pool at Six Flags Great America despite a state law giving women the right to breast-feed in public.

Rebecca Gray, 26, said she was breast-feeding her 4-month-old daughter inconspicuously while also watching her 2-year-old son play in the wading pool.

A blanket attached to her bathing suit kept everything out of sight except her baby's feet, she said. But a lifeguard directed her to leave the pool and told her about two private areas for breast-feeding.

"I was actually a lot more covered than most people," she said.

A Six Flags spokeswoman said breast-feeding mothers are welcome at the park, but are asked to be discreet. The park is looking into Gray's complaint.

"If it did happen, we'll make sure it doesn't happen again," said Michelle Hoffman of Six Flags.

One of the lawmakers who sponsored the state law, which took effect in August, said it was meant to prevent the type of situation that Gray said happened to her at Six Flags.

"That's the kind of discrimination we were trying to stop," said Rep. Paul Froehlich, a Schaumburg Republican. "It sounds like they want to segregate nursing mothers and their feeding babies."

:headshake

QUOTE(mreye @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 10:44 AM)
What's so ick?

I would not want to be feeding my baby in a public pool where people I don't know are swimming, spitting, peeing, and God knows whatever else... and run the risk of that water getting anywhere near my infant childs mouth. Covered or not.. what if someone splashed and got her soaked..? Naa.. no thanks.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 09:47 AM)
I would not want to be feeding my baby in a public pool where people I don't know are swimming, spitting, peeing, and God knows whatever else... and run the risk of that water getting anywhere near my infant childs mouth. Covered or not.. what if someone splashed and got her soaked..? Naa.. no thanks.

OK. I read it as her sitting on the side with her feet in.

QUOTE(mreye @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 10:51 AM)
OK. I read it as her sitting on the side with her feet in.

Article says the lifeguard asked her to leave the pool.. :huh

I dunno if I would sit that close to the pool. I'm waaaay weird about public pool water in, around, near my mouth. :ph34r: :puke

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 10:53 AM)
Article says the lifeguard asked her to leave the pool..  :huh

I dunno if I would sit that close to the pool. I'm waaaay weird about public pool water in, around, near my mouth.  :ph34r:  :puke

HA! I bet you'd spit then.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 09:53 AM)
Article says the lifeguard asked her to leave the pool..  :huh

I dunno if I would sit that close to the pool. I'm waaaay weird about public pool water in, around, near my mouth.  :ph34r:  :puke

I read that as "pool area." I don't know and I guess we never will. I would never take a 2 year old to a water park if I had to take the 4 month old, especially if I didn't have someone else to help me watch the 2 year old.

Doesn't bother me. I'm sure you're correct about the crap (No pun intended) in the pool, but I just never worry about that stuff.

We got Season passes to Great America! I love going there, but the Water Park is out of control.

June was busy but fun. We had a great time up there...but July has been insane!

Get there early, it opens at 11:00am, or forget it.

We got there at 12:00pm, it was crowded as all hell. The lines to go on any of the slides were too long. The kid area was over-populated by Teenagers and adults who didn't want to hang out at the over-crowded areas.

The wave was never much of a wave pool anyway, but it's a nice big pool.

But now they have it fenced off, something they didn't do in June. They only let a certain number of people in at a time. f***ing Stupid! The staff were rude to anyone who asked why.

"Because we can" was the company line, I guess.

The lazy river line is asinine. Only one entrance, one time around and that's it...Unless you rent a blue raft to carry around the whole day, then you can cut to the front and stay on as long as you want. But those prices are horrible.

The food is bad and costs more than the general park's food.

Upon leaving (around 2:00pm) we noticed there was now a line to get into Hurricane Harbor. Waiting time 45 minutes. They let people only when people leave. When we got out to the Southwest Territory, we noticed the end of another line under the train bridge! These were people waiting in line to wait in line to get in!!!

That line was a 90 minute wait!!!

Six Flags did NOT anticipate the crowds for this new water park. They are seriously unorganized and under prepared to handle this.

The regular park is still tons of fun!! Crowds are smaller too during the day.

I've been to the Disney water parks many times. I have never seen people treated like this. More people in their parks than Six Falgs, but the lines are moving. The wave pool (and what a wave, wow) is open for all. The lazy river has no line becasue you can get on and off anywhere. You don't have to rent a raft...etc. I will enoy this again in November.

They should take a page out of Disney's book on how to treat the patron.

My analysis:

Skip it. Go to other parks in the Dells.

If you have young kids try Cypress Cove in Woodridge, it's awesome!

Edited by RibbieRubarb