7/21 Game Thread - BoSox vs. ChiSox

DABearSoX

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 10:11 AM)
Agreed, any right hander that has a good arm is not a good match up for rowand ( main reason he should not bat third against righties... he is too overmatched at this point.

Everett should be in the lineup tonight over Frank on this one.

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 10:11 AM)
Agreed, any right hander that has a good arm is not a good match up for rowand ( main reason he should not bat third against righties... he is too overmatched at this point.

With Clement's slider he'd have a tough time, he has a hellatious time laying off a good down and away breaking ball, with that late breaking slider Matt has in his arsenal it could be ugly for Aaron. Watch, now he'll start and kill Clement, I sure hope so. :)

:gosox2: This may be Clement's first start against us at The Cell. Who knows. We definitely have faced him before, though.

Anyway, it's offense v. pitching this weekend.

Boston has an AL-best .280 batting average, as well as league highs in hits, RBI and on-base percentage.

The White Sox have an AL-best 3.58 team ERA and league highs in saves and runners left on base.

Who will come out on top?

I say 3 out 4 makes a big statement this weekend.

:gosox2: :gosox3: :gosox4: :gosoxretro: :gosox2: :gosoxretro: :gosox4: :gosox3:

Edited by robinventura23

Matt Clement (10-3) vs Mark Buehrle (11-3)

Clement is 2-1 5.06 ERA Career vs CWS

Buehrle is 4-1 3.32 ERA career vs BOS

BOS vs Buehrle...

Damon .194

Graff .286

Millar 0-11

Mueller .278

Nixon 0-4

Olerud .091

Manny .573 3 HRs 7-13

Ortiz .390

Varitek .462 1 HR

Looks like we know what 3 hitters can do the damage!!

CWS vs Clement...

Crede .600 3-5

Dye .500 2-4

Everett .667 2-3

Konerko .333 2-6 1 HR

Pods .353 6-17 1 HR

Uribe .333 2-6

Thomas .143 1-7

AJ 0-3

As a PH note late in the game Widger is 5-13 vs Schilling

Timo and Everett each have 1 HR off Schilling

Quick hits

Tadahito Iguchi hit his second home run in four games. ... Juan Uribe is hitting .338 against left-handed pitchers, eighth-best in the American League. ... Freddy Garcia has been scored upon in the first inning during seven of his last 10 starts, with 16 of his 52 earned runs coming in the opening frame. ... The White Sox have been in first place all 107 days this season. ... The White Sox are 21-8-2 in series this season and lost their first series to a team from the American League Central on Wednesday vs. Detroit. ... The White Sox are 31-7 against the American League Central. ... They are 31-17 at home, 18-10 vs. left-handed starters, 22-12 during the day, 9-7 in July and 1-2 on this current seven-game homestand. ... The White Sox were 50-42 after 92 games last year.

Edited by WSoxMatt

Ryan (Boston, MA): Rob there you said it again! What is the infatuation with the Yankee and Red Sox in the AL? What about my Angels as World Series contenders or the team with the best record in baseball, the ChiSox?

Rob Neyer: (2:32 PM ET ) Obviously, both the Angels and White Sox are contenders, simply by virtue of their likely division titles. But are they truly *impressive*? The Angels are merely good -- as they were last year -- and the White Sox remind me of the 2000 White Sox and the 2001 Mariners: good teams that had great seasons.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 12:42 PM)
Hmmm, Neyer dissing the Sox?  No Way! This coming from the guy who thinks the Royals pitching is much improved every year.

Eric Cartmanstillias just boned us on the Dan Patrick show. For the whitesox to have a good season they will have to win one playoff series. Which will be difficult. They have a great record, but the playoffs are a different matter.

Maybe he and the Crypt Keeper Boston Gammons can stop smoking the Red Sox pole for a second to give other teams props.

Patrick (Chicago): I know you're writing off the White Sox but would you at least give them a second look if they acquire Burnett or Schmidt?

Rob Neyer: (3:00 PM ET ) Oh, a little bit, I guess. But the problem isn't the pitching; the White Sox can throw three solid starters at you in a postseason series. The problem is the hitting; they're sixth in the American League in scoring, and they're in real danger of falling a couple of notches below that. Plus, have you seen their record when not playing other AL Central teams? It's 31-24, which is fine but far from special.

QUOTE(Southside hitmen @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 01:01 PM)
Patrick (Chicago): I know you're writing off the White Sox but would you at least give them a second look if they acquire Burnett or Schmidt?

Rob Neyer: (3:00 PM ET ) Oh, a little bit, I guess. But the problem isn't the pitching; the White Sox can throw three solid starters at you in a postseason series. The problem is the hitting; they're sixth in the American League in scoring, and they're in real danger of falling a couple of notches below that. Plus, have you seen their record when not playing other AL Central teams? It's 31-24, which is fine but far from special.

31 and 24 is still almost as good as the Red Sox and Yankees. Secondly, what the hell the al central is a good division now and you can just throw divisional records out the window?

EDIT: Meh, whatever though, the media can think what they want, the sox just have to prove them wrong on the field and they will........

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Southside hitmen @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 01:01 PM)

The only valid thing is the hitting concern. If anyone remembers in 2000, we had a much better hitting team as a whole but they froze up and couldnt hit a lick in the playoffs. Now we have a team that barely hits during the season. These guys have got to start hitting better. I hate Neyer as much as they next guy, but the numbers on offense are terrible.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 01:15 PM)
The only valid thing is the hitting concern.  If anyone remembers in 2000, we had a much better hitting team as a whole but they froze up and couldnt hit a lick in the playoffs.  Now we have a team that barely hits during the season.  These guys have got to start hitting better.  I hate Neyer as much as they next guy, but the numbers on offense are terrible.

Besides the most important stat. :)

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 01:16 PM)
Minus the most important number.

Look at our hitting and just compare all numbers. Outside of homers which we have been near the top for years and runs which we have been near the top for years the rest of its is bad or worse.

Edited by southsideirish71