7/21 Game Thread - BoSox vs. ChiSox

DABearSoX

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 01:18 PM)
runs

We led in runs for the last few years. I thought we changed the offensive makeup of the team last year. I see low BA, lots of homers and a good amount of runs.

If we were in the middle of the pack in BA, OBP, hits, doubles, clutch stats sure.

We are near the bottom in the league in OBP. So that means we have a problem being patient at the plate. We are low in walks. Which goes with stat #1. We are low in BA, doubles, clutch stats.

But we score runs and hit a lot of homers. Sounds like a formula for being stagnant when we face good pitching. And shocking when we face good pitching we get shut down.

Edited by southsideirish71

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 01:19 PM)
We led in runs for the last few years.  I thought we changed the offensive makeup of the team last year.  I see low BA, lots of homers and a good amount of runs.

I know I've heard this year that the sox don't score off mediocre pitchers, that they don't score off tough pitchers either, somehow I find that hard to believe. This team for the most part isn't going to put a 10 spot up but most of the time they'll score you atleast 4 runs and with this pitching that's good enough.

Records not against thier Division

Yanks: 34-21

*swept by royals i might add

BoSox: 32-17

Sox: 32-24

You would think Neyer would see that when looking at those records we play the AL HARDEST DIVISION EAST......when the BosSox and Yanks only count the horrible Central and West.........they're all tools........

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 01:21 PM)
I know I've heard this year that the sox don't score off mediocre pitchers, that they don't score off tough pitchers either, somehow I find that hard to believe.  This team for the most part isn't going to put a 10 spot up but most of the time they'll score you atleast 4 runs and with this pitching that's good enough.

We are going to face possible playoff oponents in the next 30 days. The Yanks, the bosox and the Angels with Vlad, and Baltimore.

I dont worry about our pitching, I worry like crazy about our hitting. Why does everyone ignore that BA, OBP, Hits, K's, BB and where we stand as an offense but just repeat the montra that we score a lot of runs. However for the last few years scoring runs for a season stat was never a problem. It was consistancy and getting shut down by good pitching and bad pitching. Middle of the road pitching we killed.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 01:36 PM)
We are going to face possible playoff oponents in the next 30 days.  The Yanks, the bosox and the Angels with Vlad, and Baltimore.

I dont worry about our pitching, I worry like crazy about our hitting.  Why does everyone ignore that BA, OBP, Hits, K's, BB and where we stand as an offense but just repeat the montra that we score a lot of runs.  However for the last few years scoring runs for a season stat was never a problem.  It was consistancy and getting shut down by good pitching and bad pitching.  Middle of the road pitching we killed.

How come when we talk about good pitching we leave out relievers?? The sox have killed a lot of good relief pitching this year.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 01:37 PM)
How come when we talk about good pitching we leave out relievers??  The sox have killed a lot of good relief pitching this year.

This is not something new. We sleepwalk through a game getting 2-3 hit and then in the 8th or 9th we make this mad dash. Last year we did the same thing. After Jaret Wright shut us down for most of the game, Smoltz came in and then got thumped.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 07:45 PM)
This is not something new.  We sleepwalk through a game getting 2-3 hit and then in the 8th or 9th we make this mad dash.  Last year we did the same thing.  After Jaret Wright shut us down for most of the game, Smoltz came in and then got thumped.

I totally agree with that, it seems like the games we dont get a nice lead in 1-3rd innings we sit back wait for the final minute to start a rally. Noticed this in the game yesterday, our batters were way more patient when they are down 6 runs in the bottom of the 9th. Why can't we bat like that the whole game.....take your time stop getting into those 0-2, 1-2 counts.......

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 01:48 PM)
I totally agree with that, it seems like the games we dont get a nice lead in 1-3rd innings we sit back wait for the final minute to start a rally. Noticed this in the game yesterday, our batters were way more patient when they are down 6 runs in the bottom of the 9th. Why can't we bat like that the whole game.....take your time stop getting into those 0-2, 1-2 counts.......

Our hitters should of taken notes during the A's series. They work the count, and put the ball in play a lot. Our hitters are 10 times more talented than any of the A's hitters outside of Chavez and Kotsay. Farmio made comments during the game, when they are 3-2 they put the ball in play into the gaps, when we were 3-2 we either popped out or Kd. I think the selection proccess of what to swing at and knowing your count is what is wrong with our hitters. Bonderman was 2-0 on a lot of hitters. And on 2-0 you should be finding a pitch that you can drive. Our hitters would foul off a 2-0 fastball an inch off the plate. Maybe that pitch gets called a strike, maybe its a ball. But does anyone think that they can drive the 96 mph fastball on the outside corner? Rowand, Konerko and Crede are always 0-2. Uribe swings at the first pitch. Being more selective and having a plan up there when they hit and not just reacting like a machine is what they have a bit more than 2 months to work on.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 01:45 PM)
This is not something new.  We sleepwalk through a game getting 2-3 hit and then in the 8th or 9th we make this mad dash.  Last year we did the same thing.  After Jaret Wright shut us down for most of the game, Smoltz came in and then got thumped.

What is this supposed to mean?? Are you saying this because of last nights game?? That's not the only game I'm talking about, there have been plenty of games where we've beaten up good relievers to tie, take the lead, or win games.

haven't been on here in a while due to other things and a little superstition...but i'm going to my fourth game tonight and i am so pumped and excited for this game. east vs. central red vs. white 1st vs. 1st huge series boys. lets go white sox!

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 08:27 PM)
Does it look like it's going to rain tonight, if so a lot or just a bit?

Looks like there might be a little rain passing through but nothing that they would call the game for. Wen tto wheather channel to check out the doppler and it looks like there is some light green to the west but nothing to severe

Many critics believe that this series will determine just how good our White Sox are. C'mon guys lets once again prove those critics that we are for real, lets get that nast taste of this 2 game skid out of our mouths and lets take 3 of 4 vs the defending champs!!

Go SOX! White that is.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 08:37 PM)
Many critics believe that this series will determine just how good our White Sox are. C'mon guys lets once again prove those critics that we are for real, lets get that nast taste of this 2 game skid out of our mouths and lets take 3 of 4 vs the defending champs!!

Go SOX! White that is.

but we play like s*** when our stands are filled.....

Don't know if that should be in green or not

Our starting lineup will probably look like this tonite:

Podsednick LF

Iguchi 2B

Everett DH

Konerko 1B

Dye RF

Rowand CF

Pierzynski C

Crede 3B

Uribe SS

look for Frank to come in and pinch hit in the 9th during a 3-3 tie for a walk-off homer :)

Scott Reifert is the man, he had this up 3 hours ago.

Tonight's Lineup Against the Red Sox

Pods, LF ... Iguchi, 2B ... Everett, DH ... Konerko, 1B ... Rowand, CF ... Dye, RF ... Pierzynski, C ... Crede, 3B ... Uribe, SS ... Buehrle, LHP.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 02:56 PM)

Pods, LF ... Iguchi, 2B ... Everett, DH ... Konerko, 1B ... Rowand, CF ... Dye, RF ... Pierzynski, C ... Crede, 3B ... Uribe, SS ... Buehrle, LHP.

Arow batting 5th against a guy with a good slider. :ph34r:

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 08:56 PM)

If only he had the power to move Koney lower in the lineup.

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 02:57 PM)
If only he had the power to move Koney lower in the lineup.

Now if Ross was up inserting another lefty in the lineup would be nice tonight. Plus he has smacked the crap out of Schilling down in the minors.

Steve Stone on WSCR just said one of the moves that KW needs to make soon is to bring up Ross Gload.

Edited by southsideirish71