Worried about Contreras

GoRowand33

I'm not going to look at the numbers before saying this but it seems like he chokes at home based off my memories of his Detroit and Arizona performances. His numbers against the BoSox are less than inspiring. That said, its not surprise that he's inconsistent and he's been a little better than even his biggest supporters might have guessed.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 11:31 AM)
I'm not going to look at the numbers before saying this but it seems like he chokes at home based off my memories of his Detroit and Arizona performances. His numbers against the BoSox are less than inspiring. That said, its not surprise that he's inconsistent and he's been a little better than even his biggest supporters might have guessed.

He's given up 4 runs or less in 16 of his 19 starts.

He's given up 3 runs or less in 12 of his 19 starts.

He has gone to the 7th inning in 14 of his 19 starts. Would have been 15 but he got hurt in the game he was dominating against KC.

Inconsistent? Not so much. He has as many "bad" (More than 4 runs) outings as Burly and Garland at 3. Going into his game the other night he was 20th in the league in ERA.

So in other words, maybe you should look at the numbers before you make ridiculous, and incredibly wrong, statements like this:

"That said, its not surprise that he's inconsistent and he's been a little better than even his biggest supporters might have guessed."

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 11:39 AM)

He has gone to the 7th inning in 14 of his 19 starts. Would have been 15 but he got hurt in the game he was dominating against KC.

Inconsistent? Not so much. He has as many "bad" (More than 4 runs) outings as Burly and Garland at 3. Going into his game the other night he was 20th in the league in ERA.

So in other words, maybe you should look at the numbers before you make ridiculous, and incredibly wrong, statements like this:

"That said, its not surprise that he's inconsistent and he's been a little better than even his biggest supporters might have guessed."

i understand your points but even in the games where he allows 3 or 4 runs he seems to walk himself into jams then pitch out of it

so maybe its his control that bothers me the most

but he also has looked incredible in 3 or 4 starts

wow, one of the best contreras related posts ive read. those numbers are interesting. what people tend to forget is that in teh beginning of the year, this guy was damn solid. thru may he had kept the team in just about every game. and in fact, of the top of my head, the only games he didnt keep the team in were vs. baltimore, arizona, detroit, and maybe texas. hes not dominating consistently, but ill take 6-7 innings with 3-4 runs from my #4 with a few excellent outings and a few poor ones. 20th in the league in ERA means that there are only 15 other non white sox pitchers in teh AL with a better ERA than him. translation he would be a #2 on alot of teams

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 11:40 AM)
The thing about Contreras , is that when he is bad, he's VERY bad.  That's why people get all bent out of shape about this guy.

That's just the thing. He reaslly hasn't been VERY bad that much.

He's given up more than 4 runs in only THREE starts, which is the same number as Burly and Garland. Now, I know, Burly goes 6 every game, but he's a horse of a different color. The point is, THIS YEAR, contreras hasn't been nearly THAT bad when eh's been off his game. IT just SEEMS like it because he walks people and works slow. THe number paint a very different picture however.

I'm encouraged by his last two performances. He's attacking the K zone and getting ahead in counts. That's what we need from him. Tuesday, he just got beat. Nothing we could do about that.

Our offense is what I'm worried about. Everyone besides Pods are not hitting their averages this year.

After looking at the numbers, you fail to point out his bad home/road splits. He's given up more than three times as many homers at home than on the road and his opponent's BA is around 60 points higher at home. If you think he's been consistent then get your head out of your stat sheets and watch the f***ing games.

Edited by Punch and Judy Garland

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 12:39 PM)

geez, one would think you were jose's mother...

Contreras, it seems, has had the curse that Matt Clement had with the Cubs last season... his team's bats just seem to go to sleep on him. He has been decent.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 11:59 AM)

Contreras, it seems, has had the curse that Matt Clement had with the Cubs last season... his team's bats just seem to go to sleep on him.  He has been decent.

My thoughts exactly. He should have way more wins than he has right now.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 11:57 AM)
After looking at the numbers, you fail to point out his bad home/road splits. He's given up more than three  times as many homers at home than on the road and his opponent's BA is around 60 points higher at home.  If you think he's been consistent then get your head out of your stat sheets and watch the f***ing games.

THat wouldn't have to have anything to do with the fact that his park is one of the best hitters parks in the league would it.

Have you looked at Garcia's road/home splits?

Split ERA W L Sv SvO G GS IP H R ER HR BB SO BAA

Home 5.00 2 3 0 0 10 10 66.2 76 37 37 12 27 45 .290

Away 2.33 7 1 0 0 10 10 73.1 55 21 19 3 13 49 .208

Staggering. Worse than Jose's even. I guess he's not consistent or good either.

Have you looked at Burly road home splits from last year? Staggering. I guess he's an inconsistent bad pitcher too.

Don't get pissed at me because I proved your bashing of Contreras wrong

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 11:59 AM)

Contreras, it seems, has had the curse that Matt Clement had with the Cubs last season... his team's bats just seem to go to sleep on him.  He has been decent.

No, I just get tired of people bashing when they don't know what they are talking about. Jose has been terrific for us this year. He said he is inconsistent when his numbers show completely otherwise, and then he actually quotes road/home stats like they ahve anything to do with consistency when everybody (for the most part) gets hit hard in this park.

QUOTE(Balance @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 12:46 PM)
I'm just worried that Evil Contreras will show up instead of Good Contreras.  We can't beat the Red Sox if Evil Contreras shows up.

I wouldn't count on it. Boston CRUSHES Jose. If you were going just on this years stats, cahnces are that you would see a good Jose, but not against the Bosox.