Time for a Shakeup

DukeNukeEm

QUOTE(bulokis @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 04:06 AM)
KW cant let this team tank down. This team will need a boost.

As one of the people on this board who most strongly believe we need to be proactive instead of reactive to any slump, my biggest fear is that KW and Ozzie will read the standings page too much, and judge our team based on our record. Our record is not a good predicator of how our team will play the rest of this season. Our pitching is not going to put up the same numbers that we did at the beginning of this season. Not a chance in hell it will happen with the ball flying out of the Cell.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 04:09 AM)
Tomorrows game will be pretty key, otherwise there is a decent chance of a sweep and quite frankly, thats not a good time for this to happen.  Could send Kenny or someone into panic mode.

At the same time, Jon goes out and wins tomorrow, maybe Contreras or Duque come through and you can pull a split.  Everyone goes home happy and in your minds you realize the team could of easily took 3 out of 4 if htey play some defense.

I'm tellin' ya, Jason -- El Duque's best start of the year is coming Saturday. Just 'cause me, Brian, Steve, and Zach will be in attendence. :)

Again, what I was really dissapointed in is that this team doesn't have that championship edge, and on TV you can tell the crowd really sensed it. They seemed out of it, like they knew the Red Sox will win the game.

I understand what you are saying from tonight's game but I can't see how you can say that about this team. It has had a championship edge the majority of the time.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 11:11 PM)
I'm tellin' ya, Jason -- El Duque's best start of the year is coming Saturday.  Just 'cause me, Brian, Steve, and Zach will be in attendence.  :)

Who's this Zach you speak of? :huh :P

Edited by greasywheels121

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 11:02 PM)
Did Clement have his best stuff tonight.  Was that a great pitching performance.  He was off.  We should of killed him tonight.  When he was 2-0 to a bunch of hitters and was throwing rollers up instead of his biting slider he should of been launched.

I am sure the cubans will shut the bosox down.

Who cares if he had his best stuff or not? That's Clement for you. He's an inconsistent pitcher who often has control problems. That's why I don't get the massive panic over facing him in the playoffs, especially when he is their #2 starter, and #1 unless Schilling gets his s*** together (he looked awful by the way)4 runs should have been plenty, and if not for the errors it might have been. Buehrle didn't exactly have his best stuff either. I don't really care about whether or not the Cubans shut down the Red Sox because the Carmines aren't exactly sending Sandy Koufax and Don Drysdale out there. The vast majority of teams have iffy 4 and 5 starters. I'm not worried about the lead until it drops to about 5, and frankly I'm not overly concerned about our playoff matchups.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 10:09 PM)
As one of the people on this board who most strongly believe we need to be proactive instead of reactive to any slump, my biggest fear is that KW and Ozzie will read the standings page too much, and judge our team based on our record.  Our record is not a good predicator of how our team will play the rest of this season.  Our pitching is not going to put up the same numbers that we did at the beginning of this season.  Not a chance in hell it will happen with the ball flying out of the Cell.

Man, that sums it up well for me too... you can't rest on this lead. Like I posted earlier, if the Twins can get in managable when the head-to-head games start they have a HUGE mental advantage of the Sox.

I hate to say it, but I'm starting to agree with the ESPN guys who say this team is a lot like the Mariners who won 110+ games a few years back.... real solid and difficult for average to below average teams to beat, but don't have the firepower for the post-season

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 04:12 AM)
Again, what I was really dissapointed in is that this team doesn't have that championship edge, and on TV you can tell the crowd really sensed it. They seemed out of it, like they knew the Red Sox will win the game.

I understand what you are saying from tonight's game but I can't see how you can say that about this team. It has had a championship edge the majority of the time.

Look at our lineup, and look at the Red Sox lineup. We don't match-up well at all against teams with great offenses. We have very good starting pitchers, but we don't have pitchers that can consistently strikeout hitters with 2 strikes. Thus, the opposition gets a lot of opportunties to put the ball in play. The Red Sox, Yanks, Rangers, etc. don't have any John Buck's to help bail our pitchers out.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 08:11 PM)
I'm tellin' ya, Jason -- El Duque's best start of the year is coming Saturday.  Just 'cause me, Brian, Steve, and Zach will be in attendence.  :)

We shall see, but I truly hope your right. Of course i kind of think Duque will pitch alright down the stretch for the club. I still would like to see a new starter though, I just don't want to give up a bunch or major leaguers to get one.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 10:14 PM)
Look at our lineup, and look at the Red Sox lineup.  We don't match-up well at all against teams with great offenses.  We have very good starting pitchers, but we don't have pitchers that can consistently strikeout hitters with 2 strikes.  Thus, the opposition gets a lot of opportunties to put the ball in play.  The Red Sox, Yanks, Rangers, etc. don't have any John Buck's to help bail our pitchers out.

Freddy Garcia can get the strikeouts if need be, but unfortunately he doesn't turn it on until the 3rd inning. I live in fear of what the Red Sox or Yankees would do to him in his first two innings when he struggles

I think Boston leads the league in pitches taken at bat.... do you have any idea what that is going to do to Contreras? Wow gives me the chills just thinking of him throwing three straight forkballs in the dirt, getting a 3-1 count then another forkball in the dirt or hung...

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 11:01 PM)
Are you serious?

Paulie - Isn't he team captain? He is a main cog.

AJ - He's one of the reasons we are excelling! Remember the fiasco we had

behind the plate last year? Ben Davis????

Thomas - The guy has bashed 10 or more homers. He's been valuable.

Uribe - I'm not crazy about his performance. I wish we'd upgrade, but maybe

we can't. If so he's OK. He's part of a team with a hellacious record.

The record should not let you keep the failures on the team cause soon enough it will catch up to you. Paulie is not a number four hitter on a playoff team. He is too inconsistent and too slow. I swear an injured Frank could beat him in a foot race.

How many of Thomas' homers were solos? I bet its a majority.

Uribe is downright horrible and is best suited as defensive replacement in the ninth.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 10:16 PM)
Freddy Garcia can get the strikeouts if need be, but unfortunately he doesn't turn it on until the 3rd inning.  I live in fear of what the Red Sox or Yankees would do to him in his first two innings when he struggles

I think Boston leads the league in pitches taken at bat.... do you have any idea what that is going to do to Contreras?  Wow gives me the chills just thinking of him throwing three straight forkballs in the dirt, getting a 3-1 count then another forkball in the dirt or hung...

Conteras has a 13.50 ERA against the bosox.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 12:16 AM)
Freddy Garcia can get the strikeouts if need be, but unfortunately he doesn't turn it on until the 3rd inning.  I live in fear of what the Red Sox or Yankees would do to him in his first two innings when he struggles

I think Boston leads the league in pitches taken at bat.... do you have any idea what that is going to do to Contreras?  Wow gives me the chills just thinking of him throwing three straight forkballs in the dirt, getting a 3-1 count then another forkball in the dirt or hung...

Luckily I get to see him in person Sunday! :headshake :puke

The record should not let you keep the failures on the team cause soon enough it will catch up to you. Paulie is not a number four hitter on a playoff team. He is too inconsistent and too slow. I swear an injured Frank could beat him in a foot race.

How many of Thomas' homers were solos? I bet its a majority.

Uribe is downright horrible and is best suited as defensive replacement in the ninth.

Ozzie you are talking about replacing way too many key players.

We might be able to make a move or 2 at the most, but s***, these current players

are the ones who got us this record we have now!

You can't revamp the whole team cause we're sucking at US Cellular the past 7 games.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 11:11 PM)

if by best start you mean getting absolutely shelled by the tigers and going into a week of losing ala last year ;) then yes

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 11:14 PM)
Look at our lineup, and look at the Red Sox lineup.  We don't match-up well at all against teams with great offenses.  We have very good starting pitchers, but we don't have pitchers that can consistently strikeout hitters with 2 strikes.  Thus, the opposition gets a lot of opportunties to put the ball in play.  The Red Sox, Yanks, Rangers, etc. don't have any John Buck's to help bail our pitchers out.

Where has having the monster lineup gotten us in the past? How many times do you see the monster lineups get shut down in the playoffs? Their offensive prowess is offset by their pitching deficiencies. Even assuming they consistently get 4 or 5 runs against our staff, which I don't see as that likely with our big 3 getting most of the games, there's a good chance that our guys do the same thing against the likes of Wells, Wakefield, and Arroyo.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 04:20 AM)
Where has having the monster lineup gotten us in the past? How many times do you see the monster lineups get shut down in the playoffs? Their offensive prowess is offset by their pitching deficiencies. Even assuming they consistently get 4 or 5 runs against our staff, which I don't see as that likely with our big 3 getting most of the games, there's a good chance that our guys do the same thing against the likes of Wells, Wakefield, and Arroyo.

Those monster lineups sure hurt Boston and St. Louis last season.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 10:19 PM)
Luckily I get to see him in person Sunday!  :headshake  :puke

That's the worst feeling in the world to go to a game like that. You know that your team has a good chance of getting f***ing shelled. And I just have visions of Arroyo dropping that curve-ball and the White Sox hitters flailing at it

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 12:20 AM)

Well, they did win the World Series last year...?

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 04:21 AM)
That's the worst feeling in the world to go to a game like that.  You know that your team has a good chance of getting f***ing shelled.  And I just have visions of Arroyo dropping that curve-ball and the White Sox hitters flailing at it

We should play as many lefties as possible. Hell, let Buehrle play SS that game. He has as good of a chance as O-ribe as getting a hit.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 10:20 PM)

Zoom this lineup is the same thing as we had before. This is why our offense has been getting shut down like they have.

We took out Maggs and Carlos who were both .300 hitters with big power and all.

We insterted Pods who can hit 300 and Dye who is a 270 hitter.

Konerko is going for power only hence his low BA.

AJ is batting 40 points less than his career BA.

I dont want a monster lineup. I want a high OBP team that can move runners over and get them in. Not strand runners all over while they pop up. I have seen that offense before.

Line drive hitters dont slump as much as power guys with low BA and low OBP.

Edited by southsideirish71