Time for a Shakeup

DukeNukeEm

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 05:23 AM)
Where would you rank Uribe among defensive SS in baseball?

How many guys make that play to get Nixon at home that easy?

No one makes the play he made in Detroit to save the game.

There's a lot of good defensive SS. That Polanco play in Detroit was good, but it was a play that probably half the SS in baseball make. To be honest, I didn't see the Nixon play though tonight. I'd say Uribe is one of the top 6 defensive SS in baseball. However, he's not a sure-fire Gold Glove winner like Sox fans on here think.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 12:21 AM)
I'm saying he shouldn't be giving up hits like fat people are in line for getting free cake samples. It was happening all night and a big inning was inevitable. I would be fine if he was just rocked in the 4th or some other inning, but the whole night when Buehrle was pitching, you knew the big inning was coming and you just hoped Ozzie would take him out in time.

One ''hit'' went off of crede's glove, one ''hit' popped out of rowands glove, one ''hit'' iguchi clearly made an error on but was also ruled an error. The sox should have been credited with five errors last night at least.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 12:25 AM)
One ''hit'' went off of crede's glove, one ''hit' popped out of rowands glove, one ''hit'' iguchi clearly made an error on but was also ruled an error. The sox should have been credited with five errors last night at least.

You wanted an error on the one Crede jumped for?

Wow did you smoke more crack than usual tonight.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 11:23 PM)
In my car on the way home, I was begging Ozzie to take Buehrle out before the 7th inning.  You knew that those guys, seeing him for the 4th time, would likely not go down quietly.  Ozzie ALWAYS leaves his starting pitchers in until it's definite that they shouldn't be out there.  Ozzie is hands-down the Manager of the Year so far, but he just doesn't have a good feel for when a pitcher is done with, and needs to get taken out BEFORE the runs come.

That's how I feel on Ozzie as well.

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 10:04 PM)
WE LOST 2 GAMES IN A ROW,

OMGSAFDKL;AJSGDADFS;LKJAFDS

i'm sick of this jumping ship after a little hiccup.

call me f***ing wild, but i believe its 3 games.

either way, let's not f***ing abandon ship.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 11:29 PM)
call me f***ing wild, but i believe its 3 games.

either way, let's not f***ing abandon ship.

Yeah, really. Lets all go kill the rally that we've built...we have at least 10 games on the Twins, guys. It would be stupid to have reckless abandon right now...

I in no way feel like its time to abandon ship....it might just be because its the heat of the moment but I do agree with his first 2 lines.....being at this game it really tore me up....I don't know how it looked on TV but the way the game went back anf forth it was the closest to a playoff experiece i have ever felt at Comiskey....it was rough but obla di obla da tommorrow is another day

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 02:53 AM)
I dont feel it.

I dont feel what I did a month ago.

Hey, it's been awhile since we fired a coach... I'm thinking Greg Walker is in line for a little firing. Of course it's hard to fire a coach of a team with a record like the Sox, but the Sox' hitting is getting ridiculous. A majority of the time, if we even get SOMEONE on base, nobody has a high enough BA to drive the person in. If we get two hits in a row, it's only because I saw a pig flying outside of my house this afternoon. Check out our current batters' BA this year against their lifetime numbers (sorry I couldn't find lifetime #'s without this year's #s factored in):

this year/ career/ difference/ best year BA (full season)

AJ .243/ .288/ -.045/ .312

Paul .251/ .276/ -.025/ .304

Uribe .233/ .261/ -.028/ .283

Crede .248/ .254/ -.006/ .261

Dye .261/ .271/ -.010/ .321

Everett .265/ .276/ -.011/ .325

Aaron .289/ .290/ -.001/ .310

Timo .247/ .263/ -.016/ .295

Willie .213/ .237/ -.024/ .262

Ozuna .303/ .281/ +.022/ never played full season

Widger .282/ .244/ +.038/ .264 (only 2 full seasons)

Pods .293/ .278/ +.015/ .314 (I see this more as Pods understanding his role and not swinging for the fences like he did last year)

Thomas (although it's not really fair to include him) .219/ .307/ -.088/ .353

People, keep in mind these career numbers factor in rookie seasons, etc, where these players might not have hit as well as they have in the immediate past. Look at the numbers though... this is frickin' insane! The only players that are hitting better than their career numbers are our backup catcher, our utility infielder, and a 3rd year guy who gets a ton of infield hits. This is sad my friends. REALLY SAD. How many championship teams can say that they got to the playoffs because their utility infielder and backup catcher had career years.(yeah I know Garland too) I can't imagine that everybody on our team this year was taking 'roids last year, so that's not a reasonable explanation. Walker needs to take the fall for this, you can't have nearly every starter having subpar offensive years AT THE SAME TIME. How is that even possible? Fact is, Walker is worn out his stay as so many coaches do. If these Sox players were even hitting their career averages (not their full potential), we'd have at least 100 more runs and be 40 games over .500 by now. Byebye Walk. There's your shakeup.

Great stats Frank the tank. It's just a matter of time before some people realize our offense isn't playoff caliber. And the thing is, it's not how it performs in the postseason that worries me. Right now, my only concern is getting to the postseason. We've still looked like s*** against nearly every top pitcher we've faced this season.

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 12:39 AM)
Hey, it's been awhile since we fired a coach... I'm thinking Greg Walker is in line for a little firing.  Of course it's hard to fire a coach of a team with a record like the Sox, but the Sox' hitting is getting ridiculous.  A majority of the time, if we even get SOMEONE on base, nobody has a high enough BA to drive the person in.  If we get two hits in a row, it's only because I saw a pig flying outside of my house this afternoon.  Check out our current batters' BA this year against their lifetime numbers (sorry I couldn't find lifetime #'s without this year's #s factored in):

this year/ career/ difference/ best year BA (full season)

AJ    .243/ .288/ -.045/ .312

Paul  .251/ .276/ -.025/ .304

Uribe  .233/ .261/ -.028/ .283

Crede  .248/ .254/ -.006/ .261

Dye  .261/ .271/ -.010/ .321

Everett .265/ .276/ -.011/ .325

Aaron .289/ .290/ -.001/ .310

Timo  .247/ .263/ -.016/ .295

Willie    .213/ .237/ -.024/ .262

Ozuna .303/ .281/ +.022/ never played full season

Widger  .282/ .244/ +.038/ .264 (only 2 full seasons)

Pods    .293/ .278/ +.015/ .314 (I see this more as Pods understanding his role and not swinging for the fences like he did last year)

Thomas (although it's not really fair to include him)  .219/ .307/ -.088/ .353

People, keep in mind these career numbers factor in rookie seasons, etc, where these players might not have hit as well as they have in the immediate past.  Look at the numbers though... this is frickin' insane!  The only players that are hitting better than their career numbers are our backup catcher, our utility infielder, and a 3rd year guy who gets a ton of infield hits.  This is sad my friends.  REALLY SAD.  How many championship teams can say that they got to the playoffs because their utility infielder and backup catcher had career years.(yeah I know Garland too)  I can't imagine that everybody on our team this year was taking 'roids last year, so that's not a reasonable explanation.  Walker needs to take the fall for this, you can't have nearly every starter having subpar offensive years AT THE SAME TIME.  How is that even possible?  Fact is, Walker is worn out his stay as so many coaches do.  If these Sox players were even hitting their career averages (not their full potential), we'd have at least 100 more runs and be 40 games over .500 by now.  Byebye Walk.  There's your shakeup.

Very insightful post. :snr :cheers :cheers

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 12:40 AM)
Great stats Frank the tank.  It's just a matter of time before some people realize our offense isn't playoff caliber.  And the thing is, it's not how it performs in the postseason that worries me.  Right now, my only concern is getting to the postseason.  We've still looked like s*** against nearly every top pitcher we've faced this season.

And what did the offense do wrong tonight? Was it score 4 runs off Clement in 6 innings or tie the game off Schilling in the 8th? Last time I checked at this point Clement's their ace and we hit him fine.

Edited by Rowand44