fathom

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ptatc @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 04:00 PM)
I hope Gload is in for Paulie tonight against the knuckleballer

God I hope not...we need runs to beat the Red Sox. Having No Dye and No Paul, where are the runs going to come from....Timo and Gload? I think a lot of people on this board overrate Gload, if he was that good, I'd use him for trade bait.

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 03:38 PM)
God I hope not...we need runs to beat the Red Sox.  Having No Dye and No Paul, where are the runs going to come from....Timo and Gload?  I think a lot of people on this board overrate Gload, if he was that good, I'd use him for trade bait.

Please tell me you did not just say we need Paul to score runs

QUOTE(ptatc @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 04:36 PM)
I've been saying all along that there is alot going on with the foot and they brought him back too early. He can't even jog without a limp. He will not be able to hit effectively given his size and hitting style with the ankle in that condition. They need to give him the rest and rehab to be effective down the stretch. This could be a "trade from within" to give a boost later with a healthier more effective Thomas.

Frank has been in a major funk since the start of the Oakland series, but remember, he had an 1.100 OPS through July 6th (remarkable, considering what he is battling through). Right now, his strike-zone judgement is waaay off. He needs a few hundred ABs to work through it...a lot more than just 105 at the major league level. His .315 OBP is a clear indictment. I won't even go into his clutch numbers, they're all terrible figures.

After he gets off the DL in early August, he should get maybe 50 ABs in Charlotte to get his strike-zone judgement back up to par. He's check-swinging damn near every time a pitch is thrown right now.

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 02:38 PM)
God I hope not...we need runs to beat the Red Sox.  Having No Dye and No Paul, where are the runs going to come from....Timo and Gload?  I think a lot of people on this board overrate Gload, if he was that good, I'd use him for trade bait.

I disagree. With the way Paulie has been swinging at everything and usually popping up, he could use a break.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 02:41 PM)
Frank has been in a major funk since the start of the Oakland series, but remember, he had an 1.100 OPS through July 6th (remarkable, considering what he is battling through).  Right now, his strike-zone judgement is waaay off.  He needs a few hundred ABs to work through it...a lot more than just 105 at the major league level.  His .315 OBP is a clear indictment.  I won't even go into his clutch numbers, they're all terrible figures. 

After he gets off the DL in early August, he should get maybe 50 ABs in Charlotte to get his strike-zone judgement back up to par.  He's check-swinging damn near every time a pitch is thrown right now.

I agree, if his foot has improved by then. Not just this "I'll play as long as I can take the pain stuff." Certain types of problems players should play with, not one that will effect the swing of a batter or the mechanics of the pitcher. Those are just asking for more problems down the road.

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 03:43 PM)
I'd take my chances with Paul who has 21 homers over Gload who has done nothing in his career.

We cannot depend on homers to win games. Konerko is a rally killer. Sit his ass on the bench and put Gload in the lineup, Ozzie.

Edited by Ozzie Montana

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 09:48 PM)
Id like to see Konerko and Frank dealt.  Leave Everett as the DH.  Ross Gload at first.  Get another arm.  Why waste Everetts at bats on the bench :huh

Wouldnt mind trading Konerko to get something! He is super overated!

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 04:02 PM)
Add the fact that he has never been given the chance as starting first baseman.

Doesnt matter. Coming up to the big club and playing are two different things. We have a perfect example. We have Wakefield who owns Konerko. Kong has a 143 Ba against him. Perfect time to add another lefty to the mix and get a line drive bat, someone who wont go for the fences. Kong starts, Gload is on the bench.

Frank's still saying all the right things. Get better big man!

http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/ar...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Big Hurt lands on 15-day DL

With Thomas out of action, club recalls Gload from Charlotte

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

CHICAGO -- Frank Thomas wore an expensive-looking shirt, featuring playing cards on the front, as he talked to an interested group of media assembled before his locker hours before Friday's game against Boston at U.S. Cellular Field.

In keeping with the cards' theme, Thomas basically was discussing the rotten hand he had just been dealt.

Thomas was placed on the 15-day disabled list (retroactive to July 21) with what is officially listed on the White Sox press release as inflammation in his left foot. But it's the pain and swelling in his left ankle, where surgery was performed back in October to repair a fractured navicular bone that was giving the Big Hurt problems once again.

It wasn't the running that raised a red flag for Thomas, although he admitted to having trouble walking out of the ballpark after games in the past week. It was his inability to hit the ball over the past nine or 10 games that made him realize it was time for a much-needed break.

"I was not able to get to the front side like I wanted the last few ball games," Thomas said. "So, it was affecting my play. I'm not helping the team at all anyway.

"This is just one of these things where we are in a good position right now. I need to get back semi-healthy so I can do my thing. Right now, I can't do my thing. I'm just wasting at-bats."

Thomas originally returned to the White Sox on May 30 and smacked 10 home runs in his first 56 at-bats. He still leads the American League in home run ratio, at one every 8.42 at-bats. But when he couldn't get to the front side against an 89 mph pitch from Detroit's Nate Robertson on Wednesday afternoon, that instance sped up his decision for rest.

And rest and icing is pretty much the plan Thomas will be following for the time being, with baseball activities put on the back burner. He's going to have a new set of X-rays taken, but he said Friday that recent ones simply showed a great deal of inflammation.

It was disappointing for Thomas, who fell into a 5-for-33 funk during his last nine games. Manager Ozzie Guillen described the situation as "a shame" and added that he appreciated how Thomas played for him in pain because he was "running the bases right."

But the issue with Thomas' swing is a concern that made people doubt his comeback from the original injury. On a good day, Thomas stands 6-foot-5 and checks in at about 270 or 275 pounds. With his left foot being the plant foot on his swing, it's the surgically repaired area that takes the consistent pounding.

"He couldn't push off," said Guillen. "Frank is a big man, and when you have problems with your legs when you're that big, you will feel that. Obviously, they're going to kill you."

"It's not like I'm 180 pounds," Thomas added. "The pain kept getting worse and worse and the inflammation is really bad. So, it's time to take a break."

In fact, Thomas was asked about his pain-threshold scale that he brought up during Spring Training, saying that he probably could get back on the field with the pain level at a seven or eight. On Friday, Thomas rated the pain a 10 out of 10.

The absence of Thomas created a roster spot for Ross Gload, as the left-handed-hitting first baseman/outfielder was recalled from Triple-A Charlotte. Gload, 29, hit .363 with eight home runs and 20 RBIs in 29 games with the Knights and faced his own injury-driven rollercoaster over the past few months. His problem took him between the Majors and the Minors.

Gload had been on the disabled list since April 25 with left shoulder inflammation. He made his first rehabilitation assignment with Charlotte from May 23 to June 6, before he re-aggravated the injury and was temporarily shut down. Gload's second rehab assignment lasted from June 28 to July 17, and he was optioned back to Charlotte when he was reinstated from the disabled list on July 20.

It seemed as if the news as to where he would end up changed daily during the last week for Gload, who first heard on Sunday that he was being called back to the White Sox. But when the White Sox couldn't afford to farm out Pablo Ozuna or Willie Harris because of Joe Crede's bad back, Gload came to Chicago, packed up his locker and then drove 12 hours back to Charlotte.

"The important thing was getting healthy and getting back to playing shape," said Gload, who will spell Paul Konerko at first base and become a prime pinch-hitter. "It was a bit of a waiting game. It's tough when you're there and there's people here and there's not a whole lot of communication."

"This kid can do a lot of stuff," Guillen added of Gload. "He played good for us in the past. He always hit real well for the team, and he knows the way we play the game."

Thomas should be back for the White Sox's challenging stretch in August, beginning with three games at Yankee Stadium, from Aug. 8-10. He pretty much ruled out a second Minor League rehab assignment.

The question did arise as to what would happen if Thomas still wasn't healthy two weeks from now. Thomas didn't want to address the hypothetical, saying he'll cross that bridge when he comes to it.

All Thomas wants currently is time off to get the inflammation down, so he can walk again without pain, let alone run and hit for a team apparently headed to the postseason.

"This team has a legitimate chance of winning it all, and I definitely want to be a part of it," Thomas said.

"He came back from the big [surgery], so I don't know why he couldn't come back from this one," Guillen added. "We want to give him some rest, and hopefully we can use him later in the season."

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 09:54 PM)
Comparing Ross Gload to Paul Konerko is like comparing Kirstie Alley's looks to Tara Reid.

Give me a fricking break.

Why?

CUZ PAULIE KONERKOZ HITZ TEH HOME RUNZORZ!!1!11!1

Edited by WHarris1

Frank stating that he isnt helping the team at all right now.... is just a really f***ing mature thing to do. I mean he could sit there and say "hey i have 12HR's" look at me... but he seemingly has bought into Ozzie's team mantra, and is going on the DL to get right and let someone else pick up his slack....

I gotta say... i loved reading every minute of it... you dont see much of this is in Professional Sports.