2.3 million reasons why willie wont start

rangercal

Let's be Honest here. Gooch has been sucking it up since april. We have not really given Willie Harris a shot at the starting spot at 2b. Reminds me of 2003 when we kept pushing Rowand a side in favor of Carl Everett.

Anyone think it's not willie's turn now? Harris has better D, he has more speed, and Im sure he can hit .267. Remember what he was hitting last year before he got hurt? If I re-call willie had a very successful April and May in 2004 before crashing into Maggs. He was hitting around .300 consistently and was stealing more bags.

Why won't Harris start? The thread title speaks for itself.

Before I get bashed. I want everyone to have at least an open mind with this. Back up your argument with facts. I think this is a very debatable subject.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

im 100% with you, infact I was happy with Willie starting and not getting Gooch in the 1st place.

As for Iguchi he started off the season very well, but I think pitchers are starting to adjust to him and he is being exploited.

I still say Jose Valentin ruined everything last year.... we had a really good thing going with uribe and willie out there.

I would like to see a platoon or see Iguchi given a couple of days off. I'm a big fan of Willie, but I can't give up on Iguchi yet. He needs to see that he shouldn't be PK'ing the ball and also, he needs to learn how to hit a curve. Willie, believe it or not, could teach Iguchi some things and vice versa. They should hang out with each other a lot more.

QUOTE(He_Gawn @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 05:52 AM)
One bad play and you all hate Gooch? Give me a f***ing break people. We can afford to lose some games you pansies.

A lot of us having been saying how Iguchi has hit the wall for a while. However, some people will continue to say how great he is just cause he's able to get the runner over to 3rd with less than 2 outs.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 12:50 AM)
im 100% with you, infact I was happy with Willie starting and not getting Gooch in the 1st place. 

As for Iguchi he started off the season very well, but I think pitchers are starting to adjust to him and he is being exploited. 

I still say Jose Valentin ruined everything last year.... we had a really good thing going with uribe and willie out there.

I remember the speed 101 seminar at soxfest with willie and Spod. I was pretty excited at envisioning that speed at the top of the order. If anything willie would be learning a lot, being around Raines and podsednik. I don't like willie's bad attitude tha last month but I dont think the best man has the job at this point. (like he was promised) I would be mad too.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 12:53 AM)
I would like to see a platoon or see Iguchi given a couple of days off. I'm a big fan of Willie, but I can't give up on Iguchi yet. He needs to see that he shouldn't be PK'ing the ball and also, he needs to learn how to hit a curve. Willie, believe it or not, could teach Iguchi some things and vice versa. They should hang out with each other a lot more.

If PK is a verb now, I'd figure it to equate to pulling the ball. I really don't remember Gooch pulling the ball, ever.

Iguchi is a much better number 2 hitter, (MY GOD, Have you already forgotten Willie's pathetic game against Oakland where he couldn't move Pods over in 3 diferent at-bats,) and Iguchi has been struggling since the end of May, not April.

Harris is not worthy of being an everyday player.

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 11:54 PM)
If PK is a verb now, I'd figure it to equate to pulling the ball.  I really don't remember Gooch pulling the ball, ever.

That's because you have to get contact on the ball to pull it. He's trying to pull it though and he isn't trying for opposite field. Plus, he can't hit a curve if it depended on his life.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 05:54 AM)
If PK is a verb now, I'd figure it to equate to pulling the ball.  I really don't remember Gooch pulling the ball, ever.

Seems like every other AB results in a weak grounder to the left side.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 12:53 AM)
A lot of us having been saying how Iguchi has hit the wall for a while.  However, some people will continue to say how great he is just cause he's able to get the runner over to 3rd with less than 2 outs.

Call Ozzie then. This is the style of ball he wanted to play. Doing the small things to score runs. Gooch is just following coach's orders.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 12:53 AM)
A lot of us having been saying how Iguchi has hit the wall for a while.  However, some people will continue to say how great he is just cause he's able to get the runner over to 3rd with less than 2 outs.

Iguchi is awesome at getting the guy to 3rd with less than 2 outs - problem is our boppers aren't driving in runs. Not Iguchi's fault.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 05:55 AM)
are you kidding me?  Did you read my first post? I said sucking it up since April.

Iguchi had a great May. He also was having amazing luck at the plate, as he was hitting all sorts of grounders that just seemed to be finding the perfect spot on the field.

Oh my god he is in a f***in slump. God damn people here overreact after a game so much. IT IS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD!!! Holy s***, he made 1 bad play, as did Crede, and now everyone wants to jump of their respective bandwagons. Gimme a break. We hit a bump in the road, s***! Anyone who even JOKINGLY thinks Willie shoud replace Gooch is a dumbass IMO. Honestly, gimme a break. Every team loses a game once in a while. I'm with fathom on this one. People overreact too damn much!

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 05:59 AM)
Oh my god he is in a f***in slump. God damn people here overreact after a game so much. IT IS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD!!! Holy s***, he made 1 bad play, as did Crede, and now everyone wants to jump of their respective bandwagons. Gimme a break. We hit a bump in the road, s***! Anyone who even JOKINGLY thinks Willie shoud replace Gooch is a dumbass IMO. Honestly, gimme a break. Every team loses a game once in a while. I'm with fathom on this one. People overreact too damn much!

Sorry buddy, but Iguchi isn't just in a slump...it's been almost 3 months now, as his batting average has been plummeting pretty consistently. Like I said earlier, he was finding a lot of holes on the field. The league has adjusted to him, and can position their defense better.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 12:59 AM)

Why don't you look up the numbers before YOU over react to this thread.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 11:57 PM)
Gooch looks lost at the plat a lot. what is scaring me is he looks lost on D too. Far from awesome. Far from stupid.

No, no I'll say it again it's a stupid thread. I can't even explain to you how much worse the offense would be without Iguchi this year. He f***ed up today on defense, the double error no doubt but overall he's been solid defensively, not to mention he turns the dp as good as anyone in baseball. This thread's dumb.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 01:02 AM)
No, no I'll say it again it's a stupid thread.  I can't even explain to you how much worse the offense would be without Iguchi this year.  He f***ed up today on defense, the double error no doubt but overall he's been solid defensively, not to mention he turns the dp as good as anyone in baseball.  This thread's dumb.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/7510/gamelog

just look at the pattern in his numbers.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 06:02 AM)
No, no I'll say it again it's a stupid thread.  I can't even explain to you how much worse the offense would be without Iguchi this year.  He f***ed up today on defense, the double error no doubt but overall he's been solid defensively, not to mention he turns the dp as good as anyone in baseball.  This thread's dumb.

Might as well put the pitcher in the 2 spot, and just have him bunt Pods over to 3rd base with the approach Iguchi has had recently :P