2.3 million reasons why willie wont start

rangercal

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 01:36 AM)
Until we have a number 3 hitter in the order that can consistenly get Pods home with less than 2 outs, it will be a wasted opportunity for what could have been a potentially big inning.  I've seen nothing in the last month that would make me believe we can play smallball at home and win.

Ok, so getting the runner to 3rd is no good. So you call on Willie to get the run home?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 02:38 AM)
Ok, so getting the runner to 3rd is no good.  So you call on Willie to get the run home?

Pods LF

Gooch 2B

Carl DH

Dye RF

Konerko 1B

Rowand CF

Pierzynski C

Crede 3B

Uribe SS

How's that????

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 01:38 AM)
Damn, we pretty much gang-raped rangercal.....

Im a tough guy. Just a different opinion. No biggy. I am getting know for saying something over the top and getting 10 posters against me. I like willy more than tadahito. I will stick to my guns.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 06:40 AM)
Pods LF

Gooch 2B

Carl DH

Dye RF

Konerko 1B

Rowand CF

Pierzynski C

Crede 3B

Uribe SS

How's that????

The bottom 7-8-9 is still awful. Still only one person (Pods) who can work a count. That's not a lineup that will go far in the postseason, if you ask me.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 02:42 AM)
The bottom 7-8-9 is still awful.  Still only one person (Pods) who can work a count.  That's not a lineup that will go far in the postseason, if you ask me.

Hw would you have it???

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 06:38 AM)
Ok, so getting the runner to 3rd is no good.  So you call on Willie to get the run home?

I have absolutely no clue what this is supposed to mean. All I'm saying, and have been for a while, is that I would like to see Iguchi try more to get a hit in these situations, and not worry as much about getting Pods over to third. With Pods speed, he's going to be able to get to third on most balls put into play. With Iguchi just trying to serve the ball to the right side, we're giving the opposition a relatively easy out. Now, if this is a situation in the last 3 innings of a close game, I'm all for the "sacrifice". But in the first inning? If you think you're going to beat the Red Sox 1-0, you're insane.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 01:45 AM)
I have absolutely no clue what this is supposed to mean.  All I'm saying, and have been for a while, is that I would like to see Iguchi try more to get a hit in these situations, and not worry as much about getting Pods over to third.  With Pods speed, he's going to be able to get to third on most balls put into play.  With Iguchi just trying to serve the ball to the right side, we're giving the opposition a relatively easy out.  Now, if this is a situation in the last 3 innings of a close game, I'm all for the "sacrifice".  But in the first inning?  If you think you're going to beat the Red Sox 1-0, you're insane.

Ok well thats irrelevant in a Gooch/Harris debate.

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 12:33 AM)
You do that while he still consistantly gets Pods to 3rd.

It's not his offense that is bothering me. He can still uncork a timely hit and he is really good at moving runners along as you mentioned. His defense is what's bothering me lately though. Like I said earlier, he looks lost out there lately.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 01:35 AM)
Though I belive this is true. It is not a proven fact.

Technically, you are correct. However, even Willie was of the same 'opinion' as he was packing his s*** after the last pre-break game.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 01:48 AM)
Technically, you are correct.  However, even Willie was of the same 'opinion' as he was packing his s*** after the last pre-break game.

I will hang on to that technicality. I have all u guys against me. Thats all I have to hang on to. :P

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 06:45 AM)
Thought so....

And trust me, I'm one of the most realistic people on this board when it comes to making trades. By having the inside knowledge that I do about baseball, I know that speculated trades rarely ever occur. However, with the way our GM is in terms of being active, I really think acquiring another offensive weapon will occur. Instead of trading the farm for someone that will only pitch once every 5 games, we need someone who can help every game.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 12:42 AM)
The bottom 7-8-9 is still awful.  Still only one person (Pods) who can work a count.  That's not a lineup that will go far in the postseason, if you ask me.

This lineup = the 2000 lineup. When they get to the playoffs they are gonna get shut down big time and then complain about the sun being in their eyes just as a certain someone infamously did back in 2000. They need to stop swinging for the damn fences every at bat.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 07:02 AM)
This lineup = the 2000 lineup.  When they get to the playoffs they are gonna get shut down big time and then complain about the sun being in their eyes just as a certain someone infamously did back in 2000.  They need to stop swinging for the damn fences every at bat.

I just can't believe how many outs AJP and Uribe give up by having just an awful approach at the plate. I thought a huge play in tonight's game was the first pitch weak grounder by Uribe (as well as his awful K vs Timlin earlier). Uribe's grounder took away some of the momentum. I think if Frank was healthy, he would have been used instead of Uribe. From now on, I will call him Juan Urine.

This was bound to happen to Iguchi, except at the start of the season we all thought he was going to start out slowly and then turn it around, it's been the opposite. Let's have a look at some numbers here for Iguchi;

Iguchi - .270/.332/.410/.740 (4th in OPS for qualified AL 2B)

Belliard - .275/.316/.407/.723 (7th)

Boone - .228/.292/.366/.659 (9th)

Polanco - .324/.402/.448/.849 (4th in OPS for non qualified AL 2B)

Gotay - .244/.304/.370/.674

He's hitting .204 this month, but is he going to keep that up for the rest of the season? No. So in short, he's not going anywhere, and he's not getting replaced. And if we did trade for somebody to replace him, who would that be considering the lack of quality second baseman out there?

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 01:02 AM)
This lineup = the 2000 lineup.  When they get to the playoffs they are gonna get shut down big time and then complain about the sun being in their eyes just as a certain someone infamously did back in 2000.  They need to stop swinging for the damn fences every at bat.

Sadly, that's what this offense reminds me of too, except we can't even hit good in the regular season. Imagine the playoffs. Is it possible to win games without scoring runs?? Let's hope so or else the White Sox are in trouble.

are some of you serious?

we're all forgetting that iguchi is a ROOKIE.

he's never seen these pitchers before, give him a break.

Before when all we could do was hit homeruns and couldn't bunt (ala 02-04), you wanted someone that could get guys over.

Now we have that and your b****ing. and to say willie harris is better?

willie harris is god awful. I made a post earlier about how in that friday oakland game he had 3 chances to get pods over to 3rd with no outs. He didn't suceed and we lost that game.

I was hurt by last night's loss too, but my god, some of you people are f***ing nuts.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 12:47 AM)
Let's  be Honest here. Gooch has been sucking it up since april. 

You lost me right here. I would be willing to bet that without Tadahito Iguchi starting at second base this year, and Willie Harris in, we would have lost AT LEAST 10 more games than we have already.

I can't begin to count how many times Iguchi has given himself up to get Scott Pods into an easy to score situation. He has played a solid second base, and has come through with many clutch hits this season, dispite being regularly 0-2 while trying to let Pods steal a base. Think about just the few times that Willie has played lately, how many times he has failed to get a bunt down, and to move Pods over... and you honestly think we would be BETTER with Willie in the line up? We would be at best in a deadheat with Minnesota if Tads wasn't starting at 2B, if not worse.

You can hold a stat page at me all you want, but somethings are intangible and either don't show up on a stat page, or even show up as a negative on the stat sheet. Unfortunately moving a runner over without a bunt shows up as an out and as a detriment to the batter, even when it helps a team win games. And that is exactly what Tadahito does, he puts the 3-4-5-6 hitters in a position to win games for us.

Edited for a dumb typo

Edited by southsider2k5

I'm not big on the hate Willie camp, but that's certainly prevalent on the board. It's funny how all of them forget the reasons they hate Willie all of the sudden.

Tadahito, the rookie, who's always doing the small things and getting the job done >>>>>>>>>>> Willie "IT'S MY TURN NOW!" Harris, the guy you love to hate