I Dare You Not To Smile

AddisonStSox

Griffey has a no-trade clause and the Reds apparently haven't approached him about waiving it, but his name continues to swirl in trade talk. It makes sense given Cincinnati's futility and Griffey's age and price tag, but what's important for a potential contender is that he can still play.

Potential Suitors: Yankees, White Sox

Now, take away the thoughts of whom the Sox would have to trade for Junior Griffey, his contract, etc. and just read that bottom line.

Damn. I couldn't stop giggling.

I know this is entirely conjecture, but god damn if it didn't bring a smile to my face.

Chances of this happening, however: slim to none and we all know where slim just went.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 11:14 AM)
Now, take away the thoughts of whom the Sox would have to trade for Junior Griffey, his contract, etc. and just read that bottom line.

Damn.  I couldn't stop giggling.

I know this is entirely conjecture, but god damn if it didn't bring a smile to my face.

Chances of this happening, however: slim to none and we all know where slim just went.

Believe me, Griffey would come to Chicago and pull up lame with a bad hamstring when he's walking off the plane.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 12:23 PM)
If we traded for Griffey I would not be able to speak for a week.  I would just walk around smiling.

He's been my favorite player my entire life.

I'm not going to lie, you were the poster I had in mind when reading/posting this little diddy. :D

i dunno about pure power hitting... if he's hitting .290 just for power, wouldn't he be another Bonds? He is an upgrade offensively over Rowand. However, I'm not sure how much longer he would last. He's like Thomas; can't expect more than a few years

QUOTE(rudylaw @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 12:10 AM)
He would be an offensive upgrade over Rownad. 

And with some of the stupid things Rowand has done in the outfield lateley he would be a defensive up grade as well.

The only thing is if he is a $10,000,000 upgrade.  I don't think so.

The amount of money they have to pay Griffey this season isn't the problem, it's the deferred contract that requires him to be paid until 2024-2025.

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 07:15 PM)
I'm not smiling.  What the hell do we want an overpaid slugging outfielder for?  Another homerun hitter is the very last thing on this team's list of priorities

He is not exactly an overpaid slugging outfielder. He has a lot of money deferred and his contract is not that bad for a player of his caliber. His contract is well worth it.

He is not homerun or nothing. He is a lefthanded power bat that this team has been missing for years!!!!!!!

He is not the last thing on the list of priorities. He balances our lineup. I would believe you would have to move Konerko in this deal. That way you free up Dye to play 1b/DH and Griff Jr. can play RF/CF/DH. The deal makes a lot of sense for a team that has everything but offense. He would help out a great deal.

QUOTE(rudylaw @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 02:10 PM)
He would be an offensive upgrade over Rownad. 

And with some of the stupid things Rowand has done in the outfield lateley he would be a defensive up grade as well.

The only thing is if he is a $10,000,000 upgrade.  I don't think so.

I could have swore I heard Reinsdorf say that money was not an option. This is his best chance since he has been here to win a world series and he desperately wants to win one. He said he would trade all 6 Bulls championships for one world series championship. Money is clearly not a problem in his pursuit of winning a world series ring.

You dont take out Rowand who's starting to swing a very hot bat. I just dont where to put Griffey.

Im suprised the Cubs arent a potential Griffey suitor, maybe they just gave up.

Dye in RF is solid in all facets after a reallly slow start.

Podsednik is an All-Star.... I dont know..

Can Griffey play 1B?

Edited by DukeNukeEm

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 11:44 AM)
You dont take out Rowand who's starting to swing a very hot bat.  I just dont where to put Griffey.

Im suprised the Cubs arent a potential Griffey suitor, maybe they just gave up.

Dye in RF is solid in all facets after a reallly slow start.

Podsednik is an All-Star.... I dont know..

Can Griffey play 1B?

Griffey in CF, Rowand in RF, Dye at 1B(like Ive been saying). Makes me smile. I would love him to be on the Southside of Chicago. Do it KW. GET TO DA CHOPPA!!!

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 01:15 PM)
He's been healthy all year. Chill out. His bad luck is over. I'm convinced.

still, he's an injury plagued player. That is not worth taking a risk for

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 12:23 PM)
still, he's an injury plagued player.  That is not worth taking a risk for

To me it is. This year we're trying to go all the way for it. Griffey is an impact player still whether you'd like to admit it or not. He'd be great for this team. He's been injury prone the last 3 or 4 years, yes. This year, no. He's healthy finally. He's doing pretty damn good too and is a left-handed power bat who also doesn't just swing for the fences.

In my opinion, I'd take that risk any day of the week.