Survivor - Palahniuk wrap-up

Spiff

3 days until we are officially supposed to be done with this book but I start the thread now just because I've never finished an assignment three hours early, nevermind three days early. And the thing is, even though I bought it right after it was suggested, I didn't even start it til about last Friday because I was finishing another book.

I really enjoyed it because it was deep without trying to be deep. It didn't pretend to be any kind of panacea (like Branson's 'Very Common Prayer' book). It just told a story. And at first, when it was boring, I was wondering what I had gotten myself into. But as the pages counted down (something I think every book should do) the story got wider and deeper and more enthralling. The last 50 pages especially were filled with a lot of good quotes, none of which I can recall at present.

I almost said f*** it, and didn't read it just because I hated Fight Club (the movie) so much. But this book turned out to be what Fight Club wishes it could be. No stupid surprise ending, no fooling the audience to appear somehow smarter. Just a plain story where you draw your own conclusions.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 09:58 PM)
I also just finished it. I really liked it--it was a sort of dry effortless humor. Look forward to the discussion.

I agree totally with the cover reviews. It was a great satire on the celebrity pop-culture. It really picked up a lot of steam once Tender's handlers got a hold of him and I was laughing out loud during the Superbowl sequence.

I thought it was pretty interesting how Tender wanted to tell people what to do and be their "mentor" with the phone line but then when he gets into the position of being the survivor preacher, he doesn't get to say or do anything on his own. He didn't write the prayer book. Every word out of his mouth is scripted for him by writers and the agent.

The Super Bowl moment was hysterical. It was also interesting to hear about how he was always taking orders but it always seemed that he was in control a lot (i.e. telling the caseworker that she should clean for him or he'd kill himself etc) in order to get what he wanted.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 06:51 PM)
I thought it was pretty interesting how Tender wanted to tell people what to do and be their "mentor" with the phone line but then when he gets into the position of being the survivor preacher, he doesn't get to say or do anything on his own.  He didn't write the prayer book.  Every word out of his mouth is scripted for him by writers and the agent.

The Super Bowl moment was hysterical.  It was also interesting to hear about how he was always taking orders but it always seemed that he was in control a lot (i.e. telling the caseworker that she should clean for him or he'd kill himself etc) in order to get what he wanted.

That part was awesome too. She just did it and not only did she not complain but she was totally motivated to do it. Then you read where Tender's out bulls***ting while the caseworker does all his chores for him.

:lolhitting

I also enjoyed how the way they "castrated" the Tenders and Biddies was by having them watch all the births in the community. Lord knows the live birth we had to watch in h.s. bio did more for me not wanting to have sex as the STD slide show.

The death of his fish, and his reaction to it was really interesting to me too. He was more upset about the fish than pretty much all of the other deaths he was privvy to.

And finally, my favorite scene was the one near the end how he's serving dinner to the hijacked passanger and tells them if they break any rules of etiquette they're getting shot. I was laughing through that whole thing.

• 2 weeks later...

haha, how f***ing awsome, you guys picked a chuck palahniuk book for your first reading

cool idea about the book club too =P

survivor is a great read, its been about 3 years since ive read it so its not to the front of my mind. my favriote book of palahniuk is by far, CHOKE.... that book will never leave me.

im currently writing a book and dont want to read while im doing it, after i get the first draft out, ill join. s***, who knows, maybe it can be my book we read

muhahaajasfhahhah!!!

ALIVE I TELL YOU, ITS ALIVE! MAUHAHAHA

one more thing everyone, right now im a part of a discussion group at the barnes and noble univercity, the group is based around palahniuks newest book, haunted

its awsome because chuck himself is the teacher, you can ask him questions and stuff, hes online at least 2 hours everyday and does a ton of work on there to make it a great experiance for all

the class started on august 1st and runs until september 5th.

its free

check it out here.

also, let me know if you sign up, and we can track eachother down in class =P

• 2 weeks later...