White Sox vs. Red Sox 7/23 Game Thread

DBAHO

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Miller, before the injury, was a damn good pitcher.  However, he has nowhere near the same stuff.  His velocity is way down, and his curve doesn't have near the bite it used to.  He's not one of the worst pitchers, but he's not someone who should be shutting you out through 7 innings.

Well you have a point, I'm certain he's not as good as he was before surgery, because he's still coming back.

However, I am watching the game and to me, that curveball is nasty.

Again, not making excuses for Sox hitting, but saying he is one of the worst pitchers is what prompted me to post. I guess it's just another in the ongoing long line of blanket statements made on this board, based on frustration and not looking at the situation objectively IMO.

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 07:19 PM)
I wouldn't want Jones, How about Abreu? :rolly  Actually, Brian Giles would be a nice acquisition.

Is Abreu a free agent b/c I don't think he is and there is no way the Phillies would trade him. Giles is good, but I think Petco inflates his numbers.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 01:19 AM)
His curve has some serious bite tonight.  He's definitely pitching a poor ballgame here though, our hitters just aren't hitting him for whatever reason.  Just one of those games so far.  Good thing is, we got 6 more outs. :)

His curve last year was a lot more quick than the one he's throwing tonight. His curve tonight is more of a looping curve. What's just as concerning with the fact we haven't scored is that we're not hitting the ball hard at all now. Timo, Everett and Uribe especially look like s***.

Yeah, pitchers coming off shoulder surgery with a 5.00+ ERA heading into the game just screams "damn good."

Somehow I knew Captain 2nd Guesser would come up with the numbers.

Learn the game, then come back and post.

Are you watching what he's throwing? Or just doing your usual, which is 2nd guessing?

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 01:21 AM)
Is Abreu a free agent b/c I don't think he is and there is no way the Phillies would trade him.  Giles is good, but I think Petco inflates his numbers.

Petco inflates his numbers? I think you're the first person to ever say that about a Padres hitter.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 07:18 PM)
He hasn't won a game in almost 2 months. But he does have a nice career record.

Except he's nowhere near the pitcher he was in Houston.

Miller is undeniably Boston's worst pitcher in their rotation. This game, he hasn't dazzled our hitters with overpowering stuff or location. His ERA is worse than Duque's, and this is not due to one poor outting which inflated his stats. He's simply that bad. There's no excuse to justify this performance other then the hitters beating themselves. I refuse to give him credit.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 01:22 AM)

Are you watching what he's throwing?  Or just doing your usual, which is 2nd guessing?

I'm watching Miller, and I can't believe we're not putting better swings on his pitches.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 01:23 AM)
Matsui hasn't resigned with Yankees yet. Wouldn't mind us going after him for the Everett "rover" spot.

He'll get a ton of money from somewhere. With the players we have in the minors, I'd rather we not spend a lot of money on outfield players. Our likely outfield is our typical starting outfield this season.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 08:22 PM)

Are you watching what he's throwing?  Or just doing your usual, which is 2nd guessing?

Do you even know the meaning of 2nd guessing because your little discourse in the last couple of gamethreads makes me think otherwise.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 07:22 PM)
Pods is the least of our troubles in this lineup.

I'm just saying he could save his body some pounding, and Iguchi would be probably appreciate not having to get himself in a hole giving him the opportunity to swipe second. He hit quite a few triples the last couple of years, and I think 19 homers. So he has shown he can drive the ball in the past.

I refuse to give him credit.

Certainly your right, but I feel you're ignoring 1/2 of the equation. Sox hitters have missed some hittable pitches but this guy has made some very quality pitches too.

I realize it's tough to give the opposing pitchers any credit whatsoever, I'm reticent to do so myself but this guy is doing a damn fine job of changing speeds.

Just because a guy has a s***ty ERA doesn't mean he can't throw a good game, and this guy is throwing a good game, but granted with some help from Sox hitters not centering on good pitches to hit.

Hopefully Franken2ndguesser reads this post and lets it sink in.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 07:25 PM)
I'm just saying he could save his body some pounding, and Iguchi would be probably appreciate not having to get himself in a hole giving him the opportunity to swipe second. He hit quite a few triples the last couple of years, and I think 19 homers. So he has shown he can drive the ball in the past.

When he started to try and drive the ball is when he got himself in trouble. Scotty's base stealing ability gives everyone in the lineup better pitches to hit. All you have to do is watch the pitcher when he's on the bases.