White Sox vs. Red Sox 7/23 Game Thread

DBAHO

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 01:25 AM)
I'm just saying he could save his body some pounding, and Iguchi would be probably appreciate not having to get himself in a hole giving him the opportunity to swipe second. He hit quite a few triples the last couple of years, and I think 19 homers. So he has shown he can drive the ball in the past.

This Pods is a lot better than the overswinging Pods from last season.

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 07:26 PM)
When's the last time Pods got on base late in a close game?  He seems to be a lot better earlier in the game?  Does anyone know what he's hitting after the 6th inning this season?

I couldn't tell you but I'd be willing to bet it's pretty good.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 01:26 AM)
Certainly your right, but I feel you're ignoring 1/2 of the equation.  Sox hitters have missed some hittable pitches but this guy has made some very quality pitches too.

I realize it's tough to give the opposing pitchers any credit whatsoever, I'm reticent to do so myself but this guy is doing a damn fine job of changing speeds.

Just because a guy has a s***ty ERA doesn't mean he can't throw a good game, and this guy is throwing a good game, but granted with some help from Sox hitters not centering on good pitches to hit. 

With the bases loaded and one out, he threw a hanging slider to Everett that was fouled off. With 2 outs, he had to throw a meatball to PK. He's lucky he didn't give up 4 runs that inning.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 07:25 PM)
I'm just saying he could save his body some pounding, and Iguchi would be probably appreciate not having to get himself in a hole giving him the opportunity to swipe second. He hit quite a few triples the last couple of years, and I think 19 homers. So he has shown he can drive the ball in the past.

That's true but his average is 50 points higher this year and so's his OBP so I think its a better deal.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 06:21 PM)
Is Abreu a free agent b/c I don't think he is and there is no way the Phillies would trade him.  Giles is good, but I think Petco inflates his numbers.

Abreu isn't a free agent, but i heard they were looking to move him earlier this year. As for Giles, he is a free agent, and saying Petco Park inflates his #'s is the funniest thing I've heard all year. Petco Park has to be THE worst park for LH power hitters.

Edited by CYGarland

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 07:29 PM)
Abreu isn't a free agent, but i heard they were looking to move him earlier this year. As for Giles he is a free agent, and saying Petco PArk inflates his #'s is the funniest thing I've heard all year. Petco Park has to be the WORST park for LH power hitters.

If you look at the post after that I correct myself.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 08:30 PM)
I'm not so sure. He scored 100 runs with Milwaukee in 2003 and 85 last year hitting .244. He is on pace for about 90 this year.

Is it his fault no one drives him in?

I have a feeling this might get ugly on here tonight. As for myself, I'll stay consistent with what I've been saying all week.....we need offensive help, and soon! By no means have we clinched the division, and we're facing a lot of good offensive teams in the 2nd half of the year. We need to be able to consistently score more than one run in an inning.

With the bases loaded and one out, he threw a hanging slider to Everett that was fouled off.  With 2 outs, he had to throw a meatball to PK.  He's lucky he didn't give up 4 runs that inning.

I completely agree.

Bad job by the White Sox in the 3rd inning and I'm sure there are other examples.

Now let's discuss all those other pitches Miller threw tonite.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 07:31 PM)
I have a feeling this might get ugly on here tonight.  As for myself, I'll stay consistent with what I've been saying all week.....we need offensive help, and soon!  By no means have we clinched the division, and we're facing a lot of good offensive teams in the 2nd half of the year.  We need to be able to consistently score more than one run in an inning.

Unfortunately there is no position except SS we can upgrade at. No good 3b on the market and that's all we could add.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 01:32 AM)
I completely agree.

Bad job by the White Sox in the 3rd inning and I'm sure there are other examples.

Now let's discuss all those other pitches Miller threw tonite.

Lets see:

- Sox ran themselves out of the first inning

- Juan Urine has had some terrible ABs

- Sox gave Miller the first out in the 3rd inning because we bunted when we were down 2, and only had one runner on base (I hate smallball at the Cell!).

- More than 10 pitches where the Sox hitters weakly fouled off pitches right down the plate.

- Timo Perez swinging at everything thrown his way, and trying to pull a 2-1 fastball weakly to 2nd base.

I have a feeling this might get ugly on here tonight.  As for myself, I'll stay consistent with what I've been saying all week.....we need offensive help, and soon!  By no means have we clinched the division, and we're facing a lot of good offensive teams in the 2nd half of the year.  We need to be able to consistently score more than one run in an inning.

I do not disagree with you at all.

I'd love to see a bat brought in, a guy who takes a ton of pitches, makes the other guy work, draws walks, goes the other way, etc. and can play multiple positions. I have been beating the Ryan Freel drum for a while but now that they've traded Randa, the chances of the Reds trading Freel are slim IMO.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 07:31 PM)
Is it his fault no one drives him in?

No its not. That's why it might not hurt if he got himself on 3rd base or 2nd base or drove himself in, and not have Iguchi have to give himself up to move him along when Iguchi could try to drive him in himself.

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 07:33 PM)
Iguchi has been on base 3 times today and not scored.  Shows just how pathetic Everett and Konerko have been.  Everett is starting to catch the Konerko virus.  NOT GOOD

Or he's just having a bad game.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 01:33 AM)
Unfortunately there is no position except SS we can upgrade at.  No good 3b on the market and that's all we could add.

Crede isn't going anywhere. With Frank out, I'm all for trying to pick up another DH. Everett is such a streaky hitter, and if he starts to tank, we can't keep playing him like we had to do earlier in the year.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 07:30 PM)
I'm not so sure. He scored 100 runs with Milwaukee in 2003 and 85 last year hitting .244. He is on pace for about 90 this year.

Pods is doing his part by getting on base. Beyond that there isin't a lot he can do.