Is Frank done for the year?

VAfan

When Frank says he's at a 10 on the pain meter for his ankle, and that it is affecting his play, I think we may not see Frank again this season. And if he can't prove he is healthy against live pitching again this year, I fear the Sox may just buy out his contract and let him go, notwithstanding what KW said just a few weeks ago.

I'd be interested to know the rules about adding him to the playoff roster is he's not reactivated until sometime in September. Does anyone know? I assume because he's an injury-casualty that he could be added at any time. Practically speaking then, we only really need him to come back in mid-September for him to get his form back. But I don't expect to see him before that. We don't need a Frank Thomas at 70%. Better to rest and try to get back to 90%.

In the meantime, I hope Ozzie moves Rowand up in the order. He looks like he might resume his torrid hitting from last year and help carry the team.

And I'd like to see a lot of Ross Gload if he can hit at all like he did last year. We could use someone that can crack the .300 hitting barrier and draw walks.

Frank will probably come back in Sept. and deal with the pain in his foot the best he can...again. He will get ready for Oct. with a few weeks of work. The inflammation is an on going problem as a result of the surgery. The surgery was a possible career ender and still may be if the inflammation doesn't stay at a minimal level. I hope it goes down enough that he can continue to play as he is one of my favorites but with the way the rehab and recovery has gone pessimism is the order of the day.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 11:30 AM)
When Frank says he's at a 10 on the pain meter for his ankle, and that it is affecting his play, I think we may not see Frank again this season.  And if he can't prove he is healthy against live pitching again this year, I fear the Sox may just buy out his contract and let him go, notwithstanding what KW said just a few weeks ago. 

I'd be interested to know the rules about adding him to the playoff roster is he's not reactivated until sometime in September.  Does anyone know?  I assume because he's an injury-casualty that he could be added at any time.  Practically speaking then, we only really need him to come back in mid-September for him to get his form back.  But I don't expect to see him before that. We don't need a Frank Thomas at 70%.  Better to rest and try to get back to 90%.

In the meantime, I hope Ozzie moves Rowand up in the order.  He looks like he might resume his torrid hitting from last year and help carry the team.

And I'd like to see a lot of Ross Gload if he can hit at all like he did last year.  We could use someone that can crack the .300 hitting barrier and draw walks.

I suggested he be rested until September sometime so he can heal better and get ready for the post. Hopefully it isn't career ending, Big Frank when healthy can do wonders to this lineup.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 12:39 PM)
It is Frank's foot that is hurting. He can come off the DL August 4th. He will be back and helping the Sox win. As far as the profane comments about this Sox super star... I can do without them thank you.

I can do without them too. Unfortunately it seems like this problem has put his career in jeopardy. It was obvious to me that he's been trying to run without putting as much pressure on the bad foot/ankle. Frank's a trooper. If he says it's 10 on the pain meter I believe him. I wish and hope for him the best, but his swing and the way he ran told me that he may have a problem that is no longer correctable. Edited by Yossarian

I'm a huge Frank Thomas fan, so I hope this problem clears up. And I believe we have the luxury of resting him until September, even with a somewhat brutal August stretch against the Yanks, Twins, and BoSox.

Early in the year, Dye stunk, along with Uribe, Crede, Rowand, and Konerko for stretches. Now we have more balance to counter Frank's absence, and Gload, if he hits like last year, could be a huge plus.

So rest up Frank. We'll see you for the stretch run.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 11:30 AM)
When Frank says he's at a 10 on the pain meter for his ankle, and that it is affecting his play, I think we may not see Frank again this season.  And if he can't prove he is healthy against live pitching again this year, I fear the Sox may just buy out his contract and let him go, notwithstanding what KW said just a few weeks ago. 

I'd be interested to know the rules about adding him to the playoff roster is he's not reactivated until sometime in September.  Does anyone know?  I assume because he's an injury-casualty that he could be added at any time.  Practically speaking then, we only really need him to come back in mid-September for him to get his form back.  But I don't expect to see him before that. We don't need a Frank Thomas at 70%.  Better to rest and try to get back to 90%.

In the meantime, I hope Ozzie moves Rowand up in the order.  He looks like he might resume his torrid hitting from last year and help carry the team.

And I'd like to see a lot of Ross Gload if he can hit at all like he did last year.  We could use someone that can crack the .300 hitting barrier and draw walks.

Frank's injury isin't going to get better if they rush him back too quickly. He needs to take as much time as necessary to truly be 100%. Somehow I doubt he was when he came back the 1st time.

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 12:36 PM)
f*** Frank.

His had a great career with the White Sox.  But for this team he just cannot help anymore.

He's more valuable as a PH than a Regular Batter.

Everett should play a lot more DH, and Ozzie knows that.

The white sox need frank the player more than they need someone like you as a fan. SO _______YOU

f*** Frank.

His had a great career with the White Sox. But for this team he just cannot help anymore.

Bleep Frank? Are you crazy?

The guy has been Mr. White Sox for a long time.

His home runs upon his return have helped this team a lot.

This actually I think will work out great. Carl has been a big

part of the team. Hopefully he'll play everyday and get a lot of

at bats and big hits and if Frank like a lot of you said, can return

in September and start hitting some home runs right off the

bat again.

But good gawd, why fry Frank with the profanity?

He's played in pain for the team and not carried the team by

any stretch, but you can't deny he's helped us win some games

this year. That bomb against to beat Tampa at home was

exciting. Even though it's "just" Tampa, it was an exciting

win thanks to Frank.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 05:48 PM)
f*** Frank.

His had a great career with the White Sox.  But for this team he just cannot help anymore.

Bleep Frank? Are you crazy?

The guy has been Mr. White Sox for a long time.

His home runs upon his return have helped this team a lot.

This actually I think will work out great. Carl has been a big

part of the team. Hopefully he'll play everyday and get a lot of

at bats and big hits and if Frank like a lot of you said, can return

in September and start hitting some home runs right off the

bat again.

But good gawd, why fry Frank with the profanity?

He's played in pain for the team and not carried the team by

any stretch, but you can't deny he's helped us win some games

this year. That bomb against to beat Tampa at home was

exciting. Even though it's "just" Tampa, it was an exciting

win thanks to Frank.

Absolutely, I love Frank too and appreciate what he's did for the sox but I have this feeling that Frank has turned into Maglio Junior. If we can handle it without frank until he's ready so be it he deserves a play from us. He's not going anywhere. :crying

QUOTE(forrestg @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 04:46 AM)
Absolutely,  I love Frank too and appreciate what he's did for the sox but I have this feeling that Frank has turned into Maglio Junior.  If we can handle it without  frank until he's ready so be it he deserves a play from us.  He's not going anywhere. :crying

Magglio Jr? What the hell are you talking about.

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 03:36 AM)
f*** Frank.

He's more valuable as a PH than a Regular Batter.

Everett should play a lot more DH, and Ozzie knows that.

So a guy with a OPS of .905 just can't help us? Right-io. :bang

I dont think he's done for the year but I think he'll have to ride out the pain when he comes back cause that thing is not completely healed. Now the question is, will he be effective and will he do what we need him to do. ie. Take walks and instill fear in the opposing pitching. He needs to come back semi-healthy and be a prescence in this lineup or we should find someone reliable to replace him.

QUOTE(forrestg @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 10:46 PM)
Absolutely,  I love Frank too and appreciate what he's did for the sox but I have this feeling that Frank has turned into Maglio Junior.  If we can handle it without  frank until he's ready so be it he deserves a play from us.  He's not going anywhere. :crying

I'd like to see you try to explain this one...

It is a ridiculous statement for 3 reasons...

1) Frank is much older then Mags

2) I doubt Frank is going to be looking for the most money possible this offseason, just something fair and reasonable.

3) Frank has done far more for this team and the game of baseball overall then Maggs could ever hope to do if he played another 20 years....

As for him coming back healthy I think after he gets some rest he will be back next month....

We need him back as soon as possible... He is the greatest player in franchise history after all...

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 09:30 AM)

If Frank misses the rest of the year (I don't know the extent of his injury but I'm assuming its more minor than anything) than my belief is that you've already seen his final game in a White Sox uniform.

There is absolutely no reason why the Sox should agree to that option. The best thing they can do is buy that contract out. If they want him, they can renegotiate and sign him to a different deal (Personally I wouldn't). If I were GM Frank would of been dealt two years ago at the deadline.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 10:43 AM)
If Frank misses the rest of the year (I don't know the extent of his injury but I'm assuming its more minor than anything) than my belief is that you've already seen his final game in a White Sox uniform.

There is absolutely no reason why the Sox should agree to that option.  The best thing they can do is buy that contract out.  If they want him, they can renegotiate and sign him to a different deal (Personally I wouldn't).  If I were GM Frank would of been dealt two years ago at the deadline.

Which is exactly why all Sox fans should be glad your not the GM...

Frank should retire in a White Sox uniform as a sign of respect...

I'm not saying break open the bank for him but after the 3.5 million dollar buyout giving him a new contract for about 1.5 to 3 million certainly wouldn't hurt anything.

He is a hall of famer and deserves to retire as a White Sox...

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 09:10 AM)
Which is exactly why all Sox fans should be glad your not the GM...

Frank should retire in a White Sox uniform as a sign of respect...

I'm not saying break open the bank for him but after the 3.5 million dollar buyout giving him a new contract for about 1.5 to 3 million certainly wouldn't hurt anything.

He is a hall of famer and deserves to retire as a White Sox...

If I were a GM, my job would be to find the team to win. I woudln't be running the team to offer guys favors, at least not 1.5 to 3 mill favors.

If Frank were rehabbing and just wanted an incentive based deal and the ability to get a chance if he were to play good, than fine. Aside from that your job is to win, not make friends and if paying Frank 3 mill gets in the way of making the team better, you don't make the move.

I'd rather have a better ball club. I would not be a loyal GM. If guys play well, they'd get there rewards, but I wouldn't sit around paying them as a thanks of what they did for a few years or in Franks case 10. Its not smart.

Very cold and hard, but probably the way Kenny will look at it. On another note, with Frank's age, the number and nature of his injuries the last few years, it would not surprise me if we won't see Frank again after this year. I'm not even sure we'll see him again this year. I'm not an expert but to me his swing and his running looked labored of late. It showed in his BA. I'm as big a Frank Thomas fan as anyone, and in light of the steroid situation I have more respect for him than ever. It just the facts, and what my eyes tell me. It's near the end of the line.