Joey Cora

Bridgeport Sox

Can we avoid extremes here? It seems like every time that somebody screws up we should "fire him" or "trade his ass". There was a thread the other day that Rowand sucks and we need to trade him, RIGHT NOW. Sort of ignored that he has the second highest average of the regular starters.

Yeah, the play sucked. I knew Paul was out the second he rounded third. Everybody has brain cramps now and then, hopefully Cora learns from it.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 02:21 PM)
Can we avoid extremes here?  It seems like every time that somebody screws up we should "fire him" or "trade his ass".  There was a thread the other day that Rowand sucks and we need to trade him, RIGHT NOW.  Sort of ignored that he has the second highest average of the regular starters.

Yeah, the play sucked.  I knew Paul was out the second he rounded third.  Everybody has brain cramps now and then, hopefully Cora learns from it.

Rowand sucks!!!1!

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 11:39 AM)
First of all I like him. Most important of all, Ozzie likes him. Whatever you think of Joey, you're not gonna be able to say...he gone.

You're right. As long as Ozzie wants him, he's here. I just wish he would remember when it's Paul Konerko chugging around the bases.

I wouldn't say Cora is the worst 3rd base coach, but I wouldn't call him the best. There have been numerous times in my memory where he's sent someone home, and he was throw out. Sorry I don't have a log of the events, but I've watched or listened to about 90% of the games this year. Despite some of his shortcomings, Cora isn't going anywhere because Ozzie likes his aggressive style. I like him since he was a former hardworking player for the Sox and has a likeable personality, but I'm not letting that cloud my judgement. He should pay more attention to who is coming around 3rd and how fast that person is. Anyway, if any of the coaches should have a fire lit under him, it should be Walker.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 05:44 PM)
Manny leads the league in assists with 12.  Cora better not make that same play tonight.  When it comes to PK and Frank on the bases, you need to play it safe.

Many of those assists no doubt are helped by the short porch of the Green monster, where he can play shallow

QUOTE(Bridgeport Sox @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 05:38 PM)
I know i don't post much but this has been bothing me for some time now. I cannot believe he sent Paulie home on that base hit. All season long (and last season) he has been sending runners home on close plays and has been getting lucky, and when he's not lucky they are out by a mile. I love the Sox but I think we should can him after this season.

What do you guys think?

:headshake Another Panic Thread

I just checked the standings. You know what people? You're not going to believe this. The Chicago White Sox are in first place with a double digit lead. Their record is 63-33. That is 63 victories and only 33 losses. Maybe some of you folks are confused on that point. From reading some of these totally ridiculous panic induced threads, I'd say there a quite a few of you that are.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 11:46 PM)
This is the most insightful and telling sentence I've seen in PHT in ages.

We're all spoiled, every single one of us. This team has 33 losses on July 23rd so I guess that makes every loss stand out since there have been so few. I agree with Ribbie though, there are some of us who don't deserve this team. Every team has weaknesses even the White Sox but that's the thing that everybody has to realize, every single team in baseball has some problems they'd like to solve and this team as currently constructed CAN win the world series. I'm not saying they will obviously but there is as good a chance with this team as there is with any other team in baseball.

QUOTE(Bridgeport Sox @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 12:26 PM)
First, I never said he was the worst coach and second no this is not a panic thread. This stuff has dated back to last season. To my knowledge I have seen more guys thrown out than safe on close plays. Its just hard to see it with a great record

your completely wrong on that.

i can't remember more than maybe 2 or 3 really bad calls by cora this season

Yes 63-33 is great. I drove 500 miles to see them lose and I drove another 800 miles to see them win. My White Sox fan credentials go back to the Leave it to Beaver era. This team still makes me nervous. Look at Boston's lineup. St.Louis too. We don't match up. Despite our record, we don't have a lot of margin for error. I still think this team has a good shot at the first WS appearance since 1959. Pointing out some flaws doesn't make one disloyal. Evening up the series with the insufferable Red Sox and their insufferable cub like fans would improve my mood greatly.

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 12:33 PM)
your completely wrong on that.

i can't remember more than maybe 2 or 3 really bad calls by cora this season

Me neither. The most recent was sending Konerko but its hard to remember any other.

Cant be more than 3 or 4. This guy is great and he challenges the guys in the outfield to make a good throw on a close play.

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 12:00 PM)
Me neither.  The most recent was sending Konerko but its hard to remember any other.

Cant be more than 3 or 4.  This guy is great and he challenges the guys in the outfield to make a good throw on a close play.

I agree overall he is good. Much much better than the infamous Wavin' Wally. Sending Konerko on that play was still a major malfunction.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 12:44 PM)
Manny leads the league in assists with 12.  Cora better not make that same play tonight.  When it comes to PK and Frank on the bases, you need to play it safe.

Could that be because every team runs on him?