Burnett v. Contreras

VAfan

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 02:08 PM)
That asking price will go down, much like Burnett's has.

I strongly doubt it. He's on that Wagner/Philly type of deal. They don't want to trade him, but they will if someone overpays. Schmidt is going to take a big overpayment. Might as well keep Duque with the season Schmidt is having. Not that good of one if you don't know. If it was the Schmidt of year's past, then I'd say yes, go after him because I'm leery of Burnett, but we're talking about a different Schmidt.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 03:14 PM)
I strongly doubt it. He's on that Wagner/Philly type of deal. They don't want to trade him, but they will if someone overpays. Schmidt is going to take a big overpayment. Might as well keep Duque with the season Schmidt is having. Not that good of one if you don't know. If it was the Schmidt of year's past, then I'd say yes, go after him because I'm leery of Burnett, but we're talking about a different Schmidt.

Gee, I didn't know he was having a bad season. I haven't seen a hundred posts pointing that out.

I'd just like to tell you that he's 5-2 in his last 7 starts with an ERA around 2.7 or something like that. He's gotten his stuff back, minus a little velocity. He's better than Burnett, Contreras, and Duque. You probably disagree, but I don't care. Nobody's changing my mind on this subject.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 08:19 PM)
I'd just like to tell you that he's 5-2 in his last 7 starts with an ERA around 2.7 or something like that.  He's gotten his stuff back, minus a little velocity.  He's better than Burnett, Contreras, and Duque.  You probably disagree, but I don't care.  Nobody's changing my mind on this subject.

I couldn't agree with you more. If I had one game to win, and had these 4 pitchers to choose from, I would take Schmidt 100 pct of the time.

Here's the latest excerpt from ESPN on what's being considered for Burnett.

Brandon McCarthy and Jose Contreras v. Double-A pitching prospect Anibel Sanchez and right-handed pitcher Bronson Arroyo from the Red Sox.

BMac and Jose for Burnett? It's still way too costly.

Contreras, Bajenaru and Munoz or Diaz. That would be my offer. I believe FL will get nothing better.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 02:33 PM)
Here's the latest excerpt from ESPN on what's being considered for Burnett.

Brandon McCarthy and Jose Contreras v. Double-A pitching prospect Anibel Sanchez and right-handed pitcher Bronson Arroyo from the Red Sox.

BMac and Jose for Burnett?  It's still way too costly.

Contreras, Bajenaru and Munoz or Diaz.  That would be my offer.  I believe FL will get nothing better.

Golly, that's so scary. Put the phone down Kenny, don't talk to the Fish until those demands lower significantly.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 02:38 PM)
WIth Frank going down again we need a hitter more than a SP.. BUrnett deal looks nice and all but we should be focused on getting Frucal in a Sox UNI

The same Furcal that plays for the division leading Atlanta Braves? ;)

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 08:38 PM)
WIth Frank going down again we need a hitter more than a SP.. BUrnett deal looks nice and all but we should be focused on getting Frucal in a Sox UNI

If we're going to trade one of our top prospects, like McCarthy, I'd much rather it be for someone we know will be back next season. Burnett and Furcal are likely to be two of the most coveted FA this offseason.

QUOTE(Soxpranos @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 08:42 PM)
Angelos did not want a arm with prior injury history! SI had a good article on it!

Which would mean that Schmidt would be out of the question also. So, I guess I shouldn't order my Kerry Wood Orioles jersey?

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 03:02 PM)
Yep, there were talks about him going to the Astros..Why not make a run at him.. Just think how mice he would look in the 9 hole..

I'm not saying he wouldn't look mousey for the Sox, but he ain't going anywhere.

Bobby Cox and co. know exactly what they are doing and will not do anything to alter the makeup of their NL East leading club--just doesn't make sense.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 09:00 PM)
With how the Freddy Garica went down, I think a huge holding point in the Aj deal will be a contract extension. I beleive KW will be more hesitant to pull the trigger if he sees this is a 3 month rent-a-pitcher.

With the end of July fast approaching, we're now down to a 2-month rental unless he's re-signed.

The reason I'd be willing to deal Contreras for Burnett is that I think the Sox could sign Burnett into Contreras's salary slot for 3-4 years when he will likely be in his prime.

But as far as this year goes, we have to remember we are getting Burnett for only 3 postseason starts, IF we're good enough to make it to the World Series. I mean, who here would be willing to put his wildness ahead of Buehrle, Garcia or Garland? As a 4th pitcher, he'd get into 1 ALDS game (if there was not a sweep), 1 ALCS game, and 1 WS game. He might start a 4th game if we ended up going the distance in one or more of the series. Now those 3-4 starts could mean a WS victory if Burnett can win them, but it is not worth selling out the future over, especially when the difference between Burnett and Contreras is not that much.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 05:01 PM)
There were a few media reports that said Furcal is being shopped by the Braves, according to MLB sources

While the Braves may be shopping Furcal, they're going to be asking for a truckload. He's arguably the best defensive shortstop in the game, and he's no slouch with the bat either. Not to mention at 26, he has yet to reach his prime. It will take a lot to pry Furcal away from the Braves, and I believe that the Sox don't have the resources to pull it off. The Braves won't want Uribe, and they won't want prospects. They're looking for major league talent to help push them over the edge, after all they are looking at a playoff birth. I'd love to have Furcal on this ballclub, but it seems like nothing more than a pipe dream.

If Stark said that he's full of s***. I've read both FL papers on-line today & they all are saying BMac + Marte.

The only reason why Florida has changed tune & made the White Sox the front runner is because they are high on Marte. Not just because of his performance but also his contract.

Marte is likewise a pc few others can come up with.

In addition Lowell is getting hot again so the Marlins are cooling on the idea of trading him.