Derrek Lee and the Triple Crown.

DukeNukeEm

He's really suprised me and if had Jack-s*** of a team around him his stats would be ungodly.

Question is. Can we win the NL Triple Crown? The MLB Triple Crown?

IMO, he can win both. But do you all agree. Try not letting your Cub Hatred cloud your judgement.

With it getting hotter outside, the ball will be flying out of Wrigley most games. I actually think he has a great shot at the triple crown right now. Don't forget that the Cardinals will likely clinch the division early, and Pujols will get a lot of rest (he's out today with a shoulder strain).

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 03:51 PM)
I don't think he can.  He's obviously having a tremendous season I just don't see him staying ahead of Pujols in homers and rbi's.

In homers I can see it. There's no way in hell he's gonna get the rbis though.

I think he'll win it because I think the Cubs will fall out of playoff contention by early to Mid-September ( I know they're like 5 out now, but have like 3 or 4 teams in front of them with a lot of Houston and Cardinals on their schedule), so it will really free him up to go for it, especially since his lead is so dominant in the batting average. So if he's a few behind in HR or RBI's he can swing for the fences for the last week or two

QUOTE(Da Sox @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 10:29 PM)
He'll probably win the MLB triple crown but not the NL triple crown. :whip

Shouldn't it be the other way around? I doubt he's going to win the MLB triple crown. He's going to have a tough time beating out Manny and/or Ortiz in RBI. I'm also of the opinion that a career .276 hitter isn't going to keep it up. He's got a nice lead, but I say chances are decent he ends up in the mid .330's by the end of the year, making Cabrera and Pujols a major threat. RBI should also be a nice battle between him, Lee, and Pujols. To be honest, I think he might not even end up first on his team in homers. Ramirez has been hitting a ton since starting out slow. My vote is he gets 2/3 for the NL and 1/3 for the majors. He's got a good lead in average, meaning he'd have to drop off quite a bit, and I personally don't think Jones keeps it up in the homerun department.

He’ll lead the league in BA. On Base % as well. But that’s all. Andruw Jones is having a career year as well and is currently tied with Lee in Hr’s and C. Lee with the Brewers is driving in runs almost all the time. I find D. Lee to be a pretty quiet guy, isn’t as annoying as Samme was, and is more fun to watch.

I don't think he'll pull it off.

His average has come down about 20 points lately, although he's still beating everyone else. This is his most likely category to win...because no one else is close to him.

In Home runs, it may very well come down to him against Andruw Jones. In that he has an advantage, because Jones will play more at Turner Field while Lee gets to hit at Wrigley. Neither player has a big advantage in people pitching around him, because they both have good pop behind them. This will be a fun chase to watch.

It's RBI's that i think will be his Achilles heel, and the team stats show why. For reference, I'm going to look here at Konerko (who we know pretty well here), Carlos Lee (his main competition) and Derek Lee himself.

Simple stats here: # at bats with runners on and # with RISP.

Konerko 162 92

El Caballo 193 119

DLee 139 88

During the Cards game last night, the announcers repeatedly gave the stat that the Cubs had scored more than 1/2 their runs this year via the home run. Want to know why? The answer is right there. They've got a guy hitting .370, and he has come to the plate 60 fewer times than Carlos Lee with runners on base and 31 fewer times with RISP. In other words, the Brewers are a far better team than the Cubs at getting people on base ahead of their biggest bat and moving them into scoring position. DLee is coming up far more often with no one on base. CLee even comes up more often with just a guy on 1b. DLee has come up with the bases empty 40 more times than CLee.

When you come up with the bases empty, there is only 1 way to drive in runs, and that's to hit the ball out of the ballpark. This is Lee's achilles heel; he comes up with no one on far too often, and that gives CLee a huge advantage in terms of driving people in.

On a side note...take 1 second and imagine how many RBI's Lee would have if he were hitting 3rd on our team, with Pods and Iguchi in front of him. Now wipe up the drool.