Tony Amonte's contract bought out...

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 05:11 PM)
BTW, I really, really do hate Wirtz more than anyone, but just reading TSN and rotoworld, and almost half the teams having to buyout or decided which stars to keep and who to let go, the Hawks did a great job of putting themselves in the position there in. They can go to seller dweller to playoff ready very fast.

They've got no excuse NOT to get a top 6 forward this off-season.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 02:11 AM)
BTW, I really, really do hate Wirtz more than anyone, but just reading TSN and rotoworld, and almost half the teams having to buyout or decided which stars to keep and who to let go, the Hawks did a great job of putting themselves in the position there in. They can go to seller dweller to playoff ready very fast.

The Hawks putting themselves in this position is the thing the fans were b****ing about when the last time there was a hockey season. Yet, I have my doubts that Wirtz will lay out anything close to maximum allowed by the cap. A leopard can't change his spots.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 08:21 AM)
I would highly doubt Amonte would even want to come back to Chicago with as I remember it a less than amiable departure ala so many others b4 him in Hawks history when they wanted big money from the Wirtz'

Tony Amonte was my favorite hawk player from the time JR left to the time he left.... the bottom line is that he wasn't worth the money he wanted to recieve... if i was Bill Wirtz i woulda let him walk too. Broke my god damn heart though.

QUOTE(MurcieOne @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 02:20 AM)
Tony Amonte was my favorite hawk player from the time JR left to the time he left.... the bottom line is that he wasn't worth the money he wanted to recieve... if i was Bill Wirtz i woulda let him walk too. Broke my god damn heart though.

Thank you, I said this in a thread a few months back and got grilled. He just wasn't a go-to guy. The playoffs against the Blues showed that perfectly.

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 01:49 PM)
Thank you, I said this in a thread a few months back and got grilled.  He just wasn't a go-to guy.  The playoffs against the Blues showed that perfectly.

Tony needs help. Those playoffs we were without Alex Zhamnov, which had a huge impact on Tony's play (or lack therof).

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 03:04 PM)
Tony needs help.  Those playoffs we were without Alex Zhamnov, which had a huge impact on Tony's play (or lack therof).

My point was, that a player that wants that kind of money shouldn't always need help. He should have an impact by himself.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 05:53 AM)
If anything the Hawks need a first line center, not a 2nd line RW like Tony Amonte.

I agree. As it looks now, our lines are...

Calder - ??? - Ruutu

Daze - Arny - ???

Bell - Brown - Barnaby

Borque - Nichol - Thorton/Moen

I'd like to think that they'll get at least one front line guy -- a center would be ideal. Then (if they only get one front-line forward), you can bump Bell up to the second line, Borque up to the third line, and let guys like Vorobiev/Ellison/Keith (Matt) battle for the last spot.