New Ideas

nitetrain8601

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 03:49 AM)
Jeebus, those are just awful.  I can't believe how quick these armchair GMs are to absolutely destroy the major league leading club.

Not only is it completely unrealistic, it's simply laughable.

It's even worse when they predict trading a player to a team with a star player at that position already. For example, PK is getting traded to the Reds.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 09:50 PM)
It's even worse when they predict trading a player to a team with a star player at that position already.  For example, PK is getting traded to the Reds.

First off, this proposal has PK going to the Padres. Secondly, Sean Casey is far from a star player in Cincy. We don't like him much anymore.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 08:45 PM)
Vernon Wells isn't being traded.

Yeah, you're right... I just rechecked, their GM said last week he's not going anywhere. I had just read that a lot of GMs have checked into his availability and hadn't been told that he was untouchable before, just that he wasn't available YET. I guess that puts the screws on that. In any event, I hope we still get something done with the Jays.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 09:49 PM)
Jeebus, those are just awful.  I can't believe how quick these armchair GMs are to absolutely destroy the major league leading club.

Not only is it completely unrealistic, it's simply laughable.

And where are your great ideas? You think just because we can dominate our own division we can take on any and all comers? Reality check, we're not that good. What happens if Oakland gets the wildcard? If the BoSox get in, we're already showing that they can take us. We're even playing on OUR field. What if we actually make it to the Series? Can we match up against the Cards? Yeah our pitching maybe, but our hitting would be WAY overmatched. Get serious, at least some of us are trying to think of possible ways to improve the team. YES, amazingly enough, this team can be improved! IF we play against teams like the Red Sox, A's, Yanks, Cards, they WILL score runs. We don't have Roger Clemens or a RJ or Schilling of the past few years that can COMPLETELY shut down GOOD teams. They will score several runs, and we can't just squeak by like we have been doing all year to lesser teams. Hey, so a lot of these "trades" won't happen, but at least we're showing our passion and enthusiasm for our team. Unless people seriously come in and think we can trade Timo Perez for Miguel Cabrera, give it a chance. If you think it's a dumb idea, argue your point, don't just call it retarded. Maybe the idea is retarded... at least help out a fellow Sox fan and "educate" him as to why it is so.

Edited by Frank the Tank 35

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 09:22 PM)
Chris Young seems like the odd man out for the future. We already have Anderson and Sweeney. You have to trade one of them because you at least still have Pods and Rowand.

To be honest Sweeney might be the odd man out for the future unless he gets his ass in gear. But more importantly you can never see what the team will look like 2 years from now. Konerko is currently one of the more obvious important decisions of the future. If he resigns Anderson gets held back another year. If he leaves Anderson can possibly find a spot and a guy like Rogowski is more likely to crack the big league club.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 09:23 PM)
I'd trade Anderson, Sweeney and Owens before I'd trade Chris Young.

Right now yes. As Cheat said once before, with breakout guys like Young and BMac last year you can't trade them because you don't know what their value is. Brandon has shown me that he isn't ready yet but should be a 2 or 3 starter down the road. Young meanwhile could be a bustout do it all type hitter, or a guy with a fluke year that's going to settle into a mediocre major league career. You just don't know yet. It's why you don't see teams trading teenagers and guys in low A ball or lower. It's too early to accurately tell what they project to be.

Unfortunately i think were pretty much stuck w/ the offense we have like it or not, unless someone gets injured, and KW has no choice but to replace him. I do however think a trade for Vizquel would be possible, and a great idea, if Kw can get it done. It would definitely help balance out our lineup, and we could use Uribe as a super sub on the infield, especially w/ Crede's back acting up. I think these lineups wouldn't be too bad.......vs. righties.....Pods, Vizquel, Iguchi, Pk, Everett, Dye, AJ, Rowand, Crede......... vs lefties.........Pods, Iguchi, Rowand, PK, Everett, Dye, Crede, Widger, Uribe. :)

Edited by CYGarland

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 08:32 PM)
Apparently, Bruce Boche(sp?) is having dinner with Nevin to convince him to leave. They're going to bench him if he doesn't leave in favor of Xavier Nady I think it was. SD will take Konerko because they will look at his HR numbers. Trust me, they'd take PK for Lawrence.

are you joking? thereason they want to dump nevin is cuz he has a big contract and will be a FA after next year. with konerko, hes big money and will be gone after this year. yeah i think hes worth brian lawrence

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 12:14 AM)
And where are your great ideas?  You think just because we can dominate our own division we can take on any and all comers?  Reality check, we're not that good.  What happens if Oakland gets the wildcard?  If the BoSox get in, we're already showing that they can take us.  We're even playing on OUR field.  What if we actually make it to the Series?  Can we match up against the Cards?  Yeah our pitching maybe, but our hitting would be WAY overmatched.  Get serious, at least some of us are trying to think of possible ways to improve the team.  YES, amazingly enough, this team can be improved!  IF we play against teams like the Red Sox, A's, Yanks, Cards, they WILL score runs.  We don't have Roger Clemens or a RJ or Schilling of the past few years that can COMPLETELY shut down GOOD teams.  They will score several runs, and we can't just squeak by like we have been doing all year to lesser teams.  Hey, so a lot of these "trades" won't happen, but at least we're showing our passion and enthusiasm for our team.  Unless people seriously come in and think we can trade Timo Perez for Miguel Cabrera, give it a chance.  If you think it's a dumb idea, argue your point, don't just call it retarded.  Maybe the idea is retarded... at least help out a fellow Sox fan and "educate" him as to why it is so.

I seriously have to debunk an XBox trade? Are you kidding me?

You do understand the dynamics of the professional trade deadline, do you not?

Sorry, I'm not biting; I'm staying far away from these things.