is anyone as tired of konerko as i am?

thelatinoheat_30

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 10:33 PM)
956ebf1d.jpg

I have a bad feeling that KW will offer him his contract after the season. 

Captain popup, master of the GIDP,  Commander of the solo homer will be with us for at least 4 more years.

LOL! That's some of the funniest stuff I've read on this board.

And it's sooo sad that it's funny because it's true...

QUOTE(WSFAN35 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 05:22 AM)
I'm pretty sure no one was complaining when he hit 277 with 41 homers and 117 rbis.

Why dont you look at his road stats.... While just looking at them makes them seem all nice if you consider the fact he only showed up for half our games it isnt as pretty.

I rather have a guy hit .277 with 30 HR's and only 100 RBI's but is a consistent presence on the road and on home.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 03:34 PM)
I bet this thread hits better with RISP than Paulie does. 

:lolhitting

But of course that's the ONLY stat you're going to focus on here, I guess since he hasn't hit any triples he's just not good enough to be a regular player. Take away Frank Thomas, Paul Konerko leads this team in OPS. How do you think teams like Boston, Detroit, Toronto and Cleveland who have the likes of Kevin Millar, Ben Broussard, Eric Hinske and Dimitri Young feel?

"We feel great because we don't have PAUL KONERKO 111111!!!!!"

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 05:01 PM)
Why dont you look at his road stats.... While just looking at them makes them seem all nice if you consider the fact he only showed up for half our games it isnt as pretty.

I rather have a guy hit .277 with 30 HR's and only 100 RBI's but is a consistent presence on the road and on home.

Problem is it's just hard to find a guy like that. Hence why IF Paul Konerko moves on, a guy like Chad Tracy who has better road splits than home splits would be an ideal target.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 08:01 AM)
Problem is it's just hard to find a guy like that. Hence why IF Paul Konerko moves on, a guy like Chad Tracy who has better road splits than home splits would be an ideal target.

I dont mind a guy who hits better at home than the road, but at least be respectable on the road....Its all I ask for and Konerko cant do that and obviously hasnt hit well with RISP either.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 07:33 PM)
I dont mind a guy who hits better at home than the road, but at least be respectable on the road....Its all I ask for and Konerko cant do that and obviously hasnt hit well with RISP either.

Unfortunately since we play half our games at the Cell, things like that are more likely to happen now and in the not so distant future unless they move the fences back. Look at Jermaine Dye away splits, not many people are really complaining about that.

I am of this opinion on Paul Konerko. He is an important member of the team with the best record in baseball, and I am inclined to believe he will remain so. b**** and moan if you feel the need, but you will not change a damn thing by doing so.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 03:39 AM)
I am of this opinion on Paul Konerko.  He is an important member of the team with the best record in baseball, and I am inclined to believe he will remain so.  b**** and moan if you feel the need, but you will not change a damn thing by doing so.

Pauly's been the one player on this team that I've ripped on a bit and it's mostly because I'm not a fan of players who can't get clutch hits. Pauly so far has been anti clutch. However like you said Paul's not going anywhere this year and I'm going to cheer my ass for him just like I do every other player we got. Pauly's frusterated me a ton this year but I will always, always cheer for a player on the Sox no matter how much the guy has angered me at times, I think that's the problem with some, it almost seems like some of you guys at times are cheering against the players you have problems with.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 11:14 PM)
Konerko would be fine, if he wasn't counted on to be the majority contributor of this meager offense.

I agree. Konerko was a good compliment when surrounded by other better hitters. Now that he is counted on to be "the man" he just isn't cutting it. Because of this his trade value is dubious. A team that needs offense would not be wise to get him, and a team that already has some probably would not be interested. He just about had me banging my head against the wall last nite.

Paul Konerko and Carlos Lee.

When they were on the Sox, they were always fairly comparable in OPS. Even this year, Lee's OPS is .862 and Konerko's is .839 after a slump.

But the big difference is Lee has driven in 82 runs and Konerko has driven in 58. And you would think that with all that speed in Pods and Iguchi at the top of the lineup, that this would be a closer number. Why the gap? Konerko has just been horrible with men on base, while Lee seems to pick it up.

My problem with Konerko is Ozzie's use of him. I think he should be dropped to fifth in the lineup, especially when he is struggling, with Rowand 3rd and Everett 4th. Plus with Gload back, there is no excuse not to rest Konerko at least twice a week if Gload is hitting well. Certainly there is no reason to start Timo Perez ever over Gload, when Everett can play the outfield slot Timo is in.

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 12:52 AM)
Pods gets on base and Iguchi moves him over.  Runner in scoring position.  Konerko is just not good with runners on or in scoring postion.  I think if we had someone who got the job done more often we'd be scoring more runs.

But there's also the fact that Scottie can steal 2nd, and then Iguchi can bunt him over, hence the 3rd hitter in the lineuo can hit a sac fly, and Konerko comes up with no-one on base. And of course that's only at the start of games when Scottie leads of the inning.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 03:39 AM)
I am of this opinion on Paul Konerko.  He is an important member of the team with the best record in baseball, and I am inclined to believe he will remain so.  b**** and moan if you feel the need, but you will not change a damn thing by doing so.

With a #4 hitter such as Konerko don't expect to go deep in the playoffs. We are putting way to much pressure on the starters of late. Kudos to El Duque for showing he may still have something left in the tank. It's time for Paul and a few others to step up, or like I said don't expect much come October. So yes you are right he is important, now it's time to start delivering in the clutch like champions do.

QUOTE(thelatinoheat_30 @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 11:28 PM)
the thing that concerns me most on this team is konerko. seems like most of the time he gets a hit is leading off an inning.  he is so very slow and he hits #4, a spot for guys to drive in runs. the problem is he hits .245 w/ runners on, .225 w/ RISP, and .140 w/ RISP and 2 out. those are horrific numbers for a #4 hitter. to compare, uribe, usually hitting 8 or 9, is hitting AT LEAST 40 points higher in each of those categories than konerko, that's pretty telling, esp. since konerko is makin 8+ mil this year. if i'm kenny, priority #1 is getting guardado or another very good bullpen arm and priority #2 would be shopping konerko. i know it'd be hard but who knows maybe the nats would be interested w/ their offensive woes or maybe in a 3 way trade somehow. i dunno but konerko is leaving way too many runners in scoring position.

Look at MilkmanDelivers' sig.....

Man I just wish Kong wasn't so slow. Who knows how many infield hits this man has gotten taken away from him. If he had Pods/Willie's speed he would be hitting .300+ every year because of those infield hits that goes as outs for him. Poor.. poor.. Konerko.

QUOTE(Yossarian @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 08:48 AM)
I agree. Konerko was a good compliment when surrounded by other better hitters. Now that he is counted on to be "the man" he just isn't cutting it. Because of this his trade value is dubious. A team that needs offense would not be wise to get him, and a team that already has some probably would not be interested. He just about had me banging my head against the wall last nite.

That's exactly what PK is...a decent man when you have guys in the lineup like Frank, Mags, CLee....but to be counted on as "the man"....nope.