Lollapalooza Day1

LosMediasBlancas

Anyone else get to go?

The sound quality was awesome and I like the 5 stages idea. This way people keep moving around and it's difficult for people to camp out near the front of the stage. It gives everyone a chance to be up close for some of the performancees.

Quick recap:

The Redwalls-- short set but very good, hell of an opener for the fest

And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of The Dead--OMG awesome, best perfromance of day 1, gonna be tough to beat. That band is a f***in monster.

Liz Phair-- awful, horrible voice that sounds even worse live, BUT she did put on a few lbs. in all the right places and was lookin pretty tasty.

Brian Jonestown Massacre- very, very good and no on stage brawling which is rare for them.

Billy Idol- Hilarious and fun. Billy still does the lip snarl and mandatory posing, but still puts on a decent show, if you take it for what it is.....and the guy is in awesome shape, he must be 50 years old.

The Pixies- it was fun to see them, but they didn't seem to overwhelm anyone.

Weezer- They were the main headliner. I'm not a Weezer fan and they didn't win me over. Everyone else seemed to really dig them, we left early to beat the crowd.

Day 2 in 104 degree heat should be interesting. Luckily they let you bring in bottled water and have plenty of refill stations. I might only do a few hours today, can't wait to see Dinosaur Jr!!!!!

Glad you had fun, LMB!!

$60 per day or 115 or whatever for the 2-day pass is just too much $ for not enough bands I'd like to see. Aside from The Killers, I've already seen every other band I'd want to see at Lolla ( Idol, Dinosaur, Pixies, OK Go ).

Billy Idol is 47 or 48, I believe. He's fun in concert.

I've heard that since the original reunion tour, the Pixies have been less than inspired. Maybe they're tired of each other again already?

Weezer = leave early and beat the crowd. Good choice by you.

Have fun today and STAY HYDRATED!!!

Let me know how Dinosaur Jr is, okay? I almost went to see them in Milwaukee on Friday, but decided the 4-hour round trip wasn't worth it for a band I've seen 3 times already....although they ARE great, IMO.

Day 2.

Got back about 45 mins ago. The heat was insane, we took it very easy today. I saw very few people drinking beer, it was impossible not to run for shade and water.

Dinosaur Jr. kicked major ass, haven't missed a beat. It was cool to see those guys again. I never thought that would happen.

Perry Farrell's new band, Satellite Party is awesome. I had forgotten what a great front man and performer he is. After dancing and running around for an hour, the guy didn't have 1 drop of sweat on him, strange. This new outfit is funkier but there's no lack of balls either.

The Killers? eh, sound just like they do on disc, but kinda fun.

We left early and skipped on Widespread Panic.

Critic, we paid the $35.00 for a 2 day pass pre-sale price but it would have been worth the $115.00.

No one else went huh?

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 10:01 PM)
Day 2.

Got back about 45 mins ago. The heat was insane, we took it very easy today. I saw very few people drinking beer, it was impossible not to run for shade and water.

Dinosaur Jr. kicked major ass, haven't missed a beat.    It was cool to see those guys again. I never thought that would happen.

Perry Farrell's new band, Satellite Party is awesome. I had forgotten what a great front man and performer he is. After dancing and running around for an hour, the guy didn't have 1 drop of sweat on him, strange.    This new outfit is funkier but there's no lack of balls either.

The Killers?  eh, sound just like they do on disc, but kinda fun.

We left early and skipped on Widespread Panic.

Critic, we paid the $35.00 for a 2 day pass pre-sale price but it would have been worth the $115.00.

No one else went huh?

Good move buying the 35 buck presale - I remember some friends of mine skipping it because it looked for a while like the show wouldn't get off the ground, at least not at Grant Park. the lineup was a steal at 35 bucks, but IMO overpriced at 60 per day or 115 for both. Just not enough bands I wanted to see, but that's obviously just my opinion.

I knew Dino would kill. They're the only band at Lolla that I'm sorry I missed.

Glad you had fun, and glad you got out of that heat alive. :D

I didn't go to Lollapalooza unfortunately :(

But I have seen The Redwalls perform live when they opened for Keane a few months ago and they played such a great set. I had never heard of them before, but they sure caught my attention. Plus they're all 20-22 years old which is amazing and they're all from the Chicago area. I also got to meet them after the concert (I swear I'm not a groupie) and, even though a couple of em were out of it ( :lol: ), they were a nice bunch of guys.

And I've also seen The Killers in concert too, and I agree with you. It might have helped that I was front row and with all the action, but nothing that amazing.

Glad you fun!

QUOTE(KJean @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 11:57 PM)

But I have seen The Redwalls perform live when they opened for Keane a few months ago and they played such a great set. I had never heard of them before, but they sure caught my attention. Plus they're all 20-22 years old which is amazing and they're all from the Chicago area. I also got to meet them after the concert (I swear I'm not a groupie) and, even though a couple of em were out of it ( :lol: ), they were a nice bunch of guys.

And I've also seen The Killers in concert too, and I agree with you. It might have helped that I was front row and with all the action, but nothing that amazing.

Glad you fun!

Musically, The Redwalls have a very mature and grown up sound. If I didn't know better, I woulda thought they were a bunch of 40 something year olds. Lyrics ae kinda fluffy, but there is promise for these guys. I'm shamelessly biased toward Chicago bands.

QUOTE(KJean @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 11:57 PM)

Glad you fun!

Musically, The Redwalls have a very mature and grown up sound. If I didn't know better, I woulda thought they were a bunch of 40 something year olds. Lyrics ae kinda fluffy, but there is promise for these guys. I'm shamelessly biased toward Chicago bands.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 11:35 PM)
Good move buying the 35 buck presale - I remember some friends of mine skipping it because it looked for a while like the show wouldn't get off the ground, at least not at Grant Park. the lineup was a steal at 35 bucks, but IMO overpriced at 60 per day or 115 for both. Just not enough bands I wanted to see, but that's obviously just my opinion.

I knew Dino would kill. They're the only band at Lolla that I'm sorry I missed.

Glad you had fun, and glad you got out of that heat alive:D

I gambled and bought the tickets figuring of the 60+ bands there, I'd get my $$$ worth. Dino was 90% of the reason I even went, they alone were worth the $35.00. Hopefully Dino will play a small club here soon, let me know if you hear anything. :cheers

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 07:10 AM)
I've heard that since the original reunion tour, the Pixies have been less than inspired. Maybe they're tired of each other again already?

Or maybe by getting back together they all remembered just how much they REALLY f***ING SUCK and have been miserably depressed to be playing that godawful crap again. :huh

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 04:04 PM)
Or maybe by getting back together they all remembered just how much they REALLY f***ING SUCK and have been miserably depressed to be playing that godawful crap again.  :huh

Great, now we've all heard your opinion, which by the way, is no more valid than anyone else's....regardless of how big your caps are. :headshake

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 03:04 PM)
Or maybe by getting back together they all remembered just how much they REALLY f***ING SUCK and have been miserably depressed to be playing that godawful crap again.  :huh

I really like the Pixies. Saw them once during their heyday, and I enjoyed them a lot.

I thought they were really good back then, and I was curious to see their reunion tour.

But the Aragon show was a little too pricey for me, and I didn't really care for their opener, Urge Overkill, although Sister Havana is an awesome song.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 05:04 PM)

No way, just listen to Debaser.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 02:55 PM)

I kinda wish I liked the Redwalls, since I work with the dad of one of them.

I could become a total fanboy and hang around with them and stuff. :D

Unfortunately, they do nothing for me.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 02:58 PM)
I gambled and bought the tickets figuring of the 60+ bands there, I'd get my $$$ worth.  Dino was 90% of the reason I even went, they alone were worth the $35.00. Hopefully Dino will play a small club here soon, let me know if you hear anything. :cheers

I'll definitely PM you if they swing back around, but from everything I've read, this is just a "summer fling" for them and they all have projects they're working on in the fall.

Sounds like a bit of a cash-grab, they've all said as much. No plans to write or record anything new. As Lou said, they wouldn't want fans yelling for the old stuff and hitting the bathroom during the new stuff. :lol:

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 05:56 PM)
my god, that song is in NCAA and is quite possibly, the most annoying, screeching song of all time

well it all depends on whether you're a fan of indie noise rock. i am so i like it. :usa

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 03:14 PM)
Great, now we've all heard your opinion, which by the way, is no more valid than anyone else's....regardless of how big your caps are. :headshake

I could have used really big caps, as there is the option. But we all know that really big caps only counts in pinnocle.

Isn't the whole board, this SL&P thing about opinions? Or was it the potty language? We are talking about Lollapalloza, and I bet I can find something in Perry Farrels past discography that has that language on it.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 03:44 PM)
I really like the Pixies. Saw them once during their heyday, and I enjoyed them a lot.

I thought they were really good back then, and I was curious to see their reunion tour.

But the Aragon show was a little too pricey for me, and I didn't really care for their opener, Urge Overkill, although Sister Havana is an awesome song.

Urge was great for two albums. Supersonic Storybook" and Saturation.

I just never got the whole Pixies thing. People raved about them, but I found them to be terribly pretentious and boring. This is coming from a guy who enjoys much Prog Rock...or used to.

QUOTE(Spiff @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 06:54 PM)
well it all depends on whether you're a fan of indie noise rock.  i am so i like it. :usa

don't know what indie noise rock is, but if that's it, i'll pass.

:P

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 06:58 PM)
Urge was great for two albums. Supersonic Storybook" and Saturation.

I just never got the whole Pixies thing. People raved about them, but I found them to be terribly pretentious and boring. This is coming from a guy who enjoys much Prog Rock...or used to.

Nice to see you come around.

;)

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 04:45 PM)
Free is always the best price, and it was cool of those people to give away their wristbands.

It's also pretty amazing since you would have needed to break the wristband in order to get it off and then you can't put it back on.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 07:28 PM)
It's also pretty amazing since you would have needed to break the wristband in order to get it off and then you can't put it back on.

Ohhhh, I managed to get a couple wristbands on and off without breaking them back in the day, like the Metro drinking wristbands.... :D

It's not easy to do, but to save the 60 bucks entry fee I'd say it's worth the effort.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 04:21 AM)
Ohhhh, I managed to get a couple wristbands on and off without breaking them back in the day, like the Metro drinking wristbands.... :D

It's not easy to do, but to save the 60 bucks entry fee I'd say it's worth the effort.

If you get lucky and they leave it too loose you can just slip it on and off, but that's rare. Usually they put them on nice and snug to prevent sharing. :huh