Ross Gload

VAfan

I don't understand, after what Ross did as a hitter last year, why Ozzie didn't put him in the lineup the first day he came up? We've had 3 games and all he's done is put him in defensively in the 8-4 "blowout" win.

Timo Perez isn't half the offensive player that Gload is, and Everett probably hits better when he plays the field. So why didn't Everett start these games in RF, with Gload at 1B, and Konerko at DH (for a semi-rest)?

C'mon Ozzie. USE GLOAD!

With Frank on the DL and Dye hurt (and cooled from his great June), give Gload a shot.

I hope not. He should be the first baseman until Konerko can suck it up and help the team. Its not like he sucks at the position or he cant hit. He supplies a pop on the bat from the left side and is better at defense than Konerko.Maybe this would wake Konerko up if he was benched for the Royals series. Meanwhile Ozzie should platoon Konerko and Everett at DH.

BTW...Ross is on HIT AND RUN on 670THE SCORE.

Edited by Ozzie Montana

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 12:23 AM)
I don't understand, after what Ross did as a hitter last year, why Ozzie didn't put him in the lineup the first day he came up?  We've had 3 games and all he's done is put him in defensively in the 8-4 "blowout" win. 

Timo Perez isn't half the offensive player that Gload is, and Everett probably hits better when he plays the field.  So why didn't Everett start these games in RF, with Gload at 1B, and Konerko at DH (for a semi-rest)?

C'mon Ozzie.  USE GLOAD! 

With Frank on the DL and Dye hurt (and cooled from his great June), give Gload a shot.

Probably because Timo is hitting .348 this month, hence Ozzie wants to ride out his hot hand. But we should be seeing more of Gload yes.

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 12:25 AM)
I hope not.  He should be the first baseman until Konerko can suck it up and help the team.  Maybe this would wake him up.  Meanwhile Ozzie should platoon Konerko and Everett at DH. 

BTW...Ross is on HIT AND RUN on 670THE SCORE.

Leading the team in home runs and having an OPS of .839 isn't helping the team?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 09:27 AM)
Leading the team in home runs and having an OPS of .839 isn't helping the team?

Again, how many have been clutch. Seems like he always hts the homers when we dont need them. i.e We're down 8 or up 8 and he hits one outta the park. When we need one or just a base hit, when its a one run game, runner on first, for example, he almost always chops it to third, into a DP, and ends the rally.

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 09:33 AM)
Again, how many have been clutch.  Seems like he always hts the homers when we dont need them. i.e  We're down 8 or up 8 and he hits one outta the park.  When we need one or just a base hit, when its a one run game, runner on first, for example,  he almost always chops it to third, into a DP, and ends the rally.

Or he hits one leading off the bottom of the ninth when we're down by 2 vs the A's.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 09:35 AM)
Or he hits one leading off the bottom of the ninth when we're down by 2 vs the A's.

How many times has he succeeded in the ninth when we need him to get on base. He is still more a rally killer than clutch.

Edited by Ozzie Montana

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 12:33 AM)
Again, how many have been clutch.  Seems like he always hts the homers when we dont need them. i.e  We're down 8 or up 8 and he hits one outta the park.  When we need one or just a base hit, when its a one run game, runner on first, for example,  he almost always chops it to third, into a DP, and ends the rally.

So would you like a guy who doesn't hit many homers at all, but hits one every now and then when it's important? He has 8 double plays this season. He is our cleanup guy for a reason, and compared to other 1st baseman in this league (whether they make more money like Jim Thome, or just plain suck like Eric Hinske), Paul Konerko is well better.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 09:42 AM)
So would you like a guy who doesn't hit many homers at all, but hits one every now and then when it's important? He has 8 double plays this season. He is our cleanup guy for a reason, and compared to other 1st baseman in this league (whether they make more money like Jim Thome, or just plain suck like Eric Hinske), Paul Konerko is well better.

Id rather want want less homers that are more meaningful with runners on a better percentage of the time INSTEAD of htting more, more are solos, and not as clutch.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 08:26 AM)
Probably because Timo is hitting .348 this month, hence Ozzie wants to ride out his hot hand. But we should be seeing more of Gload yes.

Ozzie loves Timo, and now he's actually producing a little. Not good for Gload.

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 12:46 AM)
Id rather want want less homers that are more meaningful with runners on a better percentage of the time INSTEAD of htting more, more are solos, and not as clutch.

How often does Konerko get a chance to hit with runners on base though, I think that stat would actually suprise a lot of people.

He has a WARP1 (Wins Above Replacement Player, level 1) of 4.1, and a Equivalent Average of .275 which is a measure of total offensive value per out.

If you have a look at first baseman in the AL with BA/RISP, Konerko is 11th on the list, ahead of Justin Morneau and Dimitri Young. 6 of the 13 hitters however are hitting below .250 with RISP.

Take a guy like Scott Hatteberg for example. He has 4 home runs, but is hitting .281 and has a BA/RISP of .306. Would you prefer him instead of Paul Konerko?

Take a guy like Scott Hatteberg for example. He has 4 home runs, but is hitting .281 and has a BA/RISP of .306. Would you prefer him instead of Paul Konerko?

I wouldnt want Hatteberg exactly but I would want his stats in those situations. I think Konerko has the ability but he is just not producing enough at the right time. He is pulling too much to third base. Believe me, I'd be praising PK if he had respectable numbers with anyone on. He doesnt even need to get a basehit. If He could find a way to get on base via the walk, id like that. Or mve the runner along but thats the problem with him pulling so much to third. The runner cannot be moved along.

Edited by Ozzie Montana

Gload doesn't have to sub for Konerko all the time to get used. What I don't get is why he wasn't used as soon as he came up? He was hot in AAA.

With Dye out, Ozzie should have used Everett in right and Gload as DH or at 1B. And when Dye is back, Gload should play twice a week for Konerko and twice a week for Everett (who still isn't hitting well as a lefty).

Timo's .348 came mostly as a situational sub or pinch hitter, which is what he should remain.

I thought Ozzie's mantra is to keep everyone involved. I think he has a blind spot for Ross Gload.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 08:55 AM)
How often does Konerko get a chance to hit with runners on base though, I think that stat would actually suprise a lot of people.

He has a WARP1 (Wins Above Replacement Player, level 1) of 4.1, and a Equivalent Average of .275 which is a measure of total offensive value per out.

If you have a look at first baseman in the AL with BA/RISP, Konerko is 11th on the list, ahead of Justin Morneau and Dimitri Young. 6 of the 13 hitters however are hitting below .250 with RISP.

Wow man. Stats have taken on a whole new dimension haven't they? My head is spinning. Does that mean the Paul I've been watching is a mirage? I'm not trying to bait you or make you angry, it's just the new age of stats on stats and more stats has me speechless at times.

I wouldnt want Hatteberg exactly but I would want his stats in those situations. I think Konerko has the ability but he is just not producing enough at the right time. He is pulling too much to third base. Believe me, I'd be praising PK if he had respectable numbers with anyone on. He doesnt even need to get a basehit. If He could find a way to get on base via the walk, id like that. Or mve the runner along but thats the problem with him pulling so much to third. The runner cannot be moved along.

I guess I just find it a little weird how people criticize Aaron Rowand for his lack of power numbers (myself included), but the majority back him up because of his high BA and clutch hitting, while Konerko gets the majority of criticism instead, even though he has about 15 more home runs. If Konerko gets replaced and Gload plays every-day, can he handle being the cleanup hitter? No he can't. Could he even handle being an everyday player at a position where power numbers are critical? We don't know that. (Konerko has 48 walks this season by the way, which is very high in this lineup).

What 1st baseman are out there even to replace Konerko, right now and in the future?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 10:07 AM)
I guess I just find it a little weird how people criticize Aaron Rowand for his lack of power numbers (myself included), but the majority back him up because of his high BA and clutch hitting, while Konerko gets the majority of criticism instead, even though he has about 15 more home runs. If Konerko gets replaced and Gload plays every-day, can he handle being the cleanup hitter? No he can't. Could he even handle being an everyday player at a position where power numbers are critical? We don't know that. (Konerko has 48 walks this season by the way, which is very high in this lineup).

What 1st baseman are out there even to replace Konerko, right now and in the future?

All im saying is give Gload a chance to play once in a while to give Konerko a days rest and give him a chance to regroup and rethink his approach at the plate.

There are not allota upgrades at first and thats what sucks.

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 01:16 AM)
The only names that come to my head for first are Overbay or Hillenbrand.

Overbay would cost a hell of a lot. Can't see the Jays getting rid of Hillenbrand when they control his rights, and with the new owners payroll is significantly increasing for them over the next few seasons. Chad Tracy would be my target.

Paulie Popup is real clutch. Remember how clutch he was in the 2000 playoffs. Think of how clutch he has been this year with men on.

This guy is looking for his big payday and is basically a one trick pony.

I dont criticize Arow for lack of homers. Homers are over rated. We have lead the league in homers and what have we won. Nothing. When you have men on in the late innings and you have a guy coming up you want a nice short compact swing to make contact, no a long looping swing that may hit the ball to mars but he probably is going to popup, GIDP or K.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 09:23 AM)
I don't understand, after what Ross did as a hitter last year, why Ozzie didn't put him in the lineup the first day he came up?  We've had 3 games and all he's done is put him in defensively in the 8-4 "blowout" win. 

Timo Perez isn't half the offensive player that Gload is, and Everett probably hits better when he plays the field.  So why didn't Everett start these games in RF, with Gload at 1B, and Konerko at DH (for a semi-rest)?

C'mon Ozzie.  USE GLOAD! 

Perhaps Ozzie suspects that those infield opo ups that Konerko is so adept at hitting will eventually start dropping. :banghead

Paul Konerko is hitting .327 in close and late (Close And Late - results in the 7th inning or later with the batting team either ahead by one run, tied or with the potential tying run at least on deck.) situations. OPS of .984 in the same situations. And you're telling me he sucks when it matters. :rolly

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 12:40 PM)
Paul Konerko is hitting .327 in close and late (Close And Late - results in the 7th inning or later with the batting team either ahead by one run, tied or with the potential tying run at least on deck.) situations. OPS of .984 in the same situations. And you're telling me he sucks when it matters. :rolly

I just laugh at everyone who says Paulie swings for the fences all the time. All you have to do is look at what he does with 2 strikes. Paulie specifically looks to go to right, more specifically the right center gap.

If you doubt that look at how the outfielders shift when Paulie gets two strikes on them. You'll see the CFer move over to cover that gap. Paulie is not a selfish hitter. He has his faults and isn't dominating (although I'm positive he's hitting pretty darn good since the break). Now he has struggled with runners in scoring position, but hey, s*** happens and career wise he's always been a pretty damn good run producer.

He comes through clutch and I can't help but laugh when I see so many people talk about how crappy he is. Without him, this offense would be a whole lot worse. Are there better 1bman, sure there are, but not many.

By the way Dan, I'm just kind of adding to what you said, definately not disagreeing with ya.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 04:50 PM)
I just wanted to say that it was nice to see Ross back in the lineup today and getting a clutch double... We could of done without that brain cramp on the bases but other then that good job

It wasn't a brain cramp, it was done on purpose to draw a throw away from homeplate and the speed demon Paul Konerko.